FastPass on its way back?

Exactly. This proves that the old details still displaying can’t be accurate to what is coming next.

We will just have to agree to disagree on that. I do think they used it as a means to monitor and manage crowds, but I don’t think that was the primary reason for its development. That would be an awfully expensive way to achieve that goal.

1 Like

Unless they plan on changing ADRs.

2 Likes

I never said it was. I said it was the primary reason it exists in Disney’s mind. Those are not the same thing.

I don’t think that was the primary reason for its continued existence. One of the reasons, probably.

1 Like

Fair enough. It is also there to convince guests to pay more money via on site stays, and drive up attendence by convincing people they are getting some kind of benefit. :slight_smile:

Had the same thought re: APR, and how effective it is in managing crowds.

FPP has, potentially, the added benefit of managing crowds within a given park (ie, across lands). Perhaps that’s is enough of an advantage for Disney to bring it back?

1 Like

I don’t have time to go look for evidence of this, but in one of the classes I took, the professor referenced a study that Disney did that said that riding a certain number of headliner attractions dramatically improved guest satisfaction, which is what drove the FastPass+ development.

4 Likes

I am not convinced it was ever terribly effective at doing that any better than guests naturally deciding what to ride next based on current wait times. I think the primary benefit was that it allowed Disney to guage how many guests would be in any park on any given day. It was the only way they could know with any certainty since when people bought tickets, they could be used any day without Disney knowing which days guests might choose for which parks.

APRs now gives them that same kind of insight, so the FPP system no longer needs to do that for them.

1 Like

All this speculation is killing me! Just tell us what you are planning to do, Disney, come on!

2 Likes

That video posted earlier was very interesting. According to Disney, the FastPass line is the real line, the Standby line is the filler line, like the single rider line. I hate that idea and in that FP poll I picked 50% for FP.

Also, Disney wants you to spend time in line. So, they pull capacity to make sure a ride isn’t walk-on. Otherwise people won’t think it is worthwhile. While I really hate that idea as someone that loves a walk-on, we didn’t ride the lovely Cat-In-Hat ride at USF until our third trip and probably for that reason.

FP is kind of like a virtual queue and like DAS in a way. It gives people a guaranteed time to return, like DAS. The current Disney virtual system does not guarantee anything, as the only one using it right now is the most unpredictable and one of the newest attractions in the park. If people are in a virtual queue or have a FP, then they can spend money elsewhere while they “wait”. FP also increases most guest’s satisfaction. I’m sure there are other benefits, but I don’t think FP is all about Disney being sinister.

4 Likes

They could easily put ADRs back to 180 days. Or 120, or 90 or whatever took their fancy. I’d like to see them back at 180 personally. Less competition.

3 Likes

Well we’re already deep inside the 180-day window for Oct 1.

Now, 90 days… that’s July 3rd…

2 Likes

I get that. Although probably most optimal would be to not allow guests to book ADRs until they have most likely solidified their plans. The longer you are out, the more likely people are going to overbook as a protection for plan changes, which makes availability harder to obtain. It is a tricky balance.

3 Likes

Yes that’s true. I don’t personally ever book extra ADRs or change them once I’ve booked but I think I am very much in the minority.

1 Like

180 :grimacing:
90 would be a happy medium.

4 Likes

I just like the fact that at 180 lots of people haven’t even booked whereas in the UK our offers usually come out in April for the following year. So much planning time, I know exactly where I’m booking my ADRs and I don’t want to wait any longer!

3 Likes

Oh. I see how it is. You think your trip is all about you, eh?

:wink:

2 Likes

I’ll be lucky if I have a trip!

2 Likes