"Family versus The Beasts" Trip Report (08/02/20 - 08/15/20)

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Realised I said 1984, meant 1994. Edited it now.

We did Egypt for our honeymoon in 1991, when it was super quiet because of recent events in the Middle East.

1 Like

Plants, too. Florida doesn’t support plane trees but sycamore - same family - will grow in Florida so that tree is used in the UK pavilion. Same with the pines in Japan. In the mountain portion of Canada different size vegetation used, going up, to help with forced perspective.
That’s all I recall right now.

So much to do. We were still talking about Agent P on our last trip. Still haven’t gotten around to it.

1 Like

Agent P is no more. But I would think Duck Tales is probably ready to go. I don’t know how long it takes to re-do that kind of stuff but Agent P closed in February I think.

1 Like

When we were there a few weeks ago, the line did not go very close to the avatar in the tank. I was able to snap this photo from a distance, but if you weren’t looking for it, it was easy to miss.

2 Likes

Excellent. My niece was so into Duck Tales - the old one - when she was in high school! Apparently it was quite the thing then.
Just told my grandniece; after an initial gasp of excitement she says, they’re going to make it new Duck Tales. They should make it old Duck Tales - it was better.

1 Like

I completely agree on the legacy of the classic Duck Tales. But the new ones are actually really good too. And like it or not, my kids LOVE the new ones more and will love doing a scavenger hunt themed to the them more than the old, even if a little piece of me dies every time they tell me how much better the new version is compared to the classic.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I did not take notice my last trip. I didn’t realize Sycamores grow in FL. They do well up here in PA. The Exclamation Plane Tree is one of my favorites! (I grow trees for a living) :deciduous_tree:

1 Like

The sycamore at my cousin’s place in the Catskills are awesome. Here in Missouri the sycamore are tall but quite twisty.

I do have a plane tree growing in my front yard. Quite big. Planted about 1995. I do soak the ground around the drip line when the ground starts to crack but otherwise the tree seems happy, quite robust. Locals always look puzzled at it, asking is that a sycamore?

Oh yeah. They are hard to tell apart. The London Plane Tree is actually half American Sycamore and half Oriental Plane Tree. (Hybrid)

1 Like

London plane tree is what I have.

How clever of you to know.

1 Like

I almost missed it. I think if you’re focused on the line and it’s moving fairly quickly it’s easy to miss. My daughters nudged me or I probably would have missed it on our first time through.

It was no wonder it felt hot!

I went back and looked at historical weather data for Orlando for dates we were there at Disney, and it turns out it was the hottest it has been in at least 20 years (I only went back to 2000 when checking). In fact, it was a full degree hotter than the next highest year, and two full degrees hotter than the next two highest years. The high this year seemed to be approximately 5-6 degrees hotter than what the average high is otherwise!

7 Likes

Wow that’s crazy! I can probably say the same here in PA in July, which set a record.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your trip report! It was fun to follow along.

I see you did some TS restaurants. Did you eat outside? Were you able to request/wait for that? Any difference in restaurant operations between UOR and WDW? We are leaning UOR trip this fall. Not feeling so good about the safety of long restaurant meals but not sure if we are willing to vacation without that option.

1 Like

We sat in T-Rex for far too long one evening. The place was half full and it took twice as long as normal to get our food. Since ppl unmask in restaurants I became more and more uncomfortable. They were spacing tables fairly well but not good enough as I began to panic about the wait and exposure. When I go back I only want to do outdoor dinning, which probably means more QS. I know many others have reported many indoor dining meals without worries. It’s what everyone is comfortable with.

2 Likes

We did TS twice. Once at Antojitos in Citywalk, and once at Homecomin’ in Disney Springs. In both cases, it was about the same. We arrived and checked in. Within a couple minutes, our table was ready. Antojitos had outdoor seating, but they didn’t appear to be using it. Maybe we could have asked, but no one did. Didn’t matter. Tables were spaced out really far so that we weren’t close to anyone.

For Homecomin’, we were specifically asked if we preferred to be outside or inside. We requested inside due to concern for rain (some of the outside seating isn’t really covered, and some of it is, but you could still get wet if it rained hard enough).

Inside, again, we were well spaced. In both cases we felt safe, even with masks off. Plenty of spacing and ventilation it seemed.

I can’t speak to any other TS places. We are mostly QS, although some of that was still inside, such as Louie’s in US, and Docking Bay 7 at HS, etc.

1 Like

Favorite QS? We’d like to eat more QS next time.

This is a hard question. So I won’t answer it. Instead, I’ll tell you which QS we prefer. That doesn’t necessarily mean they are our favorite, though.

In MK, we generally pick between Cosmic Ray’s, Pinocchio Haus, or Pecos Bill. In all three cases, the food is satisfactory, although not necessarily “great”.

In HS, I was surprised at the quality of Backlot Express. So I’d definitely recommend that. We also ate at Docking Bay 7. It was acceptable, but the quality of the food items seemed inconsistent so it depends on what you get. Ordinarily, we’d eat at ABC Commissary, but it wasn’t open this trip. Not sure how it compares these days.

In AK, Flametree BBQ was a clear winner. Perhaps favorite all around. But we had never been there before. The food was delicious though. Only downside I’d put here is that all the seating is outside (shaded), so there wasn’t much respite from the heat. That was the only QS we had there this time. We tried Harambe Market last trip, but was not happy with the food there at all.

In EPCOT, we did Sunshine Seasons, which was good overall (although I despised the Power Salad I got, as I mentioned, due to the extremely bitter kale). There are plenty of QS places throughout EPCOT that we didn’t even try, however, so hard to recommend anything. For example, the QS in Mexico looked like decent food. The Turkey Legs from Fife and Drum are, well, Turkey Legs! So you know what to expect there.

1 Like

Thanks for this! We’d like to try a lot you listed. Sounded like you had a good variety too.