"Family versus The Beasts" Trip Report (08/02/20 - 08/15/20)

Did you do any F&W booths?

Flame tree is quite good and portions were large (circa 9/2019) sunshine seasons is also a winner.

No. But we did go into the Epcot Food and Wine pavilion (not sure what it is technically called) where we got the gourmet Mac and Cheese, which was quite delicious. But, truth be told, nothing else in the pavilion looked good to me. Too fancy for my tastes! :slight_smile:

Side note…the place with the gourmet Mac and Cheese had one that had Italian Sausage and peppers. I ordered it, but the cashier wanted to confirm if I wanted the plant based. I said no. I wanted the one with italian sausage. She said that the italian sausage one is plant based. I said, “How can it be plant based if it has italian sausage?” So, don’t believe the menu. It is a lie! They are trying to pass off Italian Sausage as something without meat! :wink: I didn’t order it as a result. Just got the standard gourmet mac and cheese…which was quite good on its own.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip Italian Sausage tip (that’s so wrong in so many ways). I will be at E.P.C.O.T. ( :slight_smile: ) next Thursday.

2 Likes

I did write up an email to Disney telling them my thoughts on the Skyliner and some minor concerns about how they handled things at the Pop Century main building. I got a response today:

11 Likes

I think this response is pretty good! Hopefully they will actually follow through with updates.

2 Likes

Wow, I hope they get the Skyliner and bus transport issue resolved by Thanksgiving! :grimacing:

Not sure what the sausage was in the pavilion but…included in my Land and Sea skillet at Whispering Canyon Cafe was a vegan sausage that was incredibly good, and textured very similarly to real sausage but without the lumps of fat. Even my DH who would normally never deign to try a fake meat agreed it was delicious. We actually asked our server who found out it was the hot Italian sausage by Beyond Meat. If that was what they were serving at Epcot it might be worth a try!

2 Likes

We did! We ate items from the booths at China, Germany, Japan, France, Hawaii, and Mexico. The only thing that was disappointing was the spam hash from Hawaii. Everything else was really yummy and a few things outstanding. DD17 is the foodie in the family and her favorite item was the duck with mashed sweet potatoes from the France booth.

4 Likes

Wondering if you don’t mind giving me a play by play of how you landed boarding group 2. Should I have the app open or wait until 10:00 to fire up the app. Sorry if the answer to this has been discussed elsewhere in the thread.

have it open and ready, the cue will fill in seconds. You’ll still be loading your app while the cue fills.

Thank you. So I press “join” button on the home page of the disney App as soon as the clock turns 10:00. then click through the other screens as fast as possible. Making sure I add everyone in my party of 5 along the way. Right?

We didn’t get BG 2, but we did get BG 10, 12 and 16 on our recent trip. Key take-aways:

1. If at all possible, have more than one person trying to get the BG.
  2. Open world clock and countdown to 10:00 AM. Being off a few seconds could be the difference.

Other things we did - had those trying for the BG close the app and then open at about 9:57. If there is more than one person, have one on wi-fi and one on cellular data. Do not be afraid to look foolish as you count down to 10:00 AM as if it is the space shuttle launch!

2 Likes

Thank you this is great advice. And what time did your boarding groups of 10, 12, and 16 actually get on. Sorry for all the questions.

read, @Julianne_fki here too. You’ll make your party before you join and if you are all linked I think it does it for you, as long as everyone is in the park.

I think within two hours? One day they seemed to get a late start and it might have been a little longer.

1 Like

Rule of thumb is about 10 BGs per hour. So the first 10 BGs will be called in the first hour of operation, the 11-20 in the second hour, etc. (Not exactly, but close enough to give you an idea.)

2 Likes

I had the app open on the main page and scrolled down to where the join button was. Had son count down the seconds. At exactly 10:00:01 I pressed join then immediately on the next page Select All and the next button (forgot what it says now). By 10:00:03 we had our boarding group.

The select all step is no longer necessary. I wait until 10:00:01 because I found in practice that it was easy to jump the gun, slowing down the process.

2 Likes

This is the step where I’m not clear if things have changed. Is the “Join” button unavailable at 10:00:00 but then lights up at 10:00:01?

It is available at 10:00:00. But when I tried practicing, I experienced cases where my phone said 10:00:00, but when I clicked join, on the MDE side it wasn’t, and so I came to a page where so had to drag down and reload the page to get the join button. I found pressing join at exactly 10:00:01 instead avoided this issue. Seemed to work. BG 2 wasn’t bad! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I should add, the join button is actually available well before 10:00. But if you click it you come to a page that doesn’t allow you to join. You can reload that page at 10:00.

4 Likes