Face Masks

I don’t know if any clips would work for us - it’s more about the shape of your skull. If you try just a loop of string and see if it helps, you can get something more sturdy later. For me, I had to put the loop on the top of my skull for it to be at the correct angle, and it just wouldn’t stay there. So I either have to endure the “Jughead Ears” or use a different mask. Everyone is different!

I can’t stand the ear-loop ones, and like having elastic that goes all the way around my head. I started making ones that have a sort of tunnel/pocket thingy (there’s probably a word for it, but I can’t think of it) on either side that you run elastic or a tie thorough, rather than having it be fixed. That way it can be used with ear loops, ties, or full elastic and they can be swapped out if you change your mind, or if they get worn or stretched out. You can just add the tunnel/pocket part to any fabric mask you have, too, if you want to change it.

Edit to add that you can use 1" quilt binding (like $3 for a 3 yard pack at Joann’s) with the ends folded in (that’s what was used in the bottom photo) or if you want a wider tunnel or a softer fabric (because it touches your face) then you can use a scrap of literally any fabric that’s 4" wide and about 1.5" taller than where you’re attaching it… you fold both sides in to the middle, then fold it in half and iron it, then you fold the top and bottom ends in before you attach it. That’s what’s in the top photo. This will add some width to the mask as well, so if you got masks that are not quite wide enough then it would be a good solution.

4 Likes

An alternative to elastic is a strip of little kids’ tights. You can have it be a closed loop like elastic or you can make ties with it.

1 Like

How much length of elastic do you use for you?

30 inches. I know that’s a lot, but I found 35 yards of 1/4" on Etsy for $24.

1 Like

I have been wanting exactly what you made. I am not a fan of the ear loops, especially after a few hours. I had been considering getting the masks below and replacing the straps with elastic.

Still haven’t gotten my masks and I’m starting to think they won’t arrive in time… sooo it’s kicking me out of my laziness and I’m looking for places that can create custom masks with my own design.

Anyone know of any that is at a reasonable cost yet decent? I was thinking of this place, anyone have any experience? https://www.canvasdiscount.com/home-lifestyle/custom-face-mask.jsf

Hey All… I remember there being questions asked about what’s allowed in DS… gaiters etc. According to AJ from DFB the mask needs to cover nose, mouth and go under your chin, no face shields alone. she said bandanas have been seen but can’t guareentee you’ll be allowed to use them. More here: 10 Tips for Wearing a Mask in Disney World! - YouTube

1 Like

Have you looked on Amazon? There are many different types. Some may work better than others for you and yours.

In time for a Disney trip? Because I have no doubt wdw will have numerous masks for sale on site. More than Mickey ears designs. :grinning:

1 Like

Correct, in time for Disney Trip.

I’m not so concerned with delay. it’s the fact there is nothing in my account about the purchase.

They sell the Disney ones on site at Marketplace Co-Op in Disney Springs (source). You could bring a cheap one and buy when you get there.

2 Likes

We have plenty of the cheap throw-away ones which we were planning to use for our August trip. For those of you that have bought the Disney ones, are they a lot more comfortable? Seems like they would be hotter?

Everyone will be different but I actually don’t like the Disney one as much as some of the others. The material is soft but doesn’t agree with my beard. The ear loops tug at my ears so I prefer one that ties in the back of the head. But my kids love them, as long as they are wearing the correct size.

2 Likes

Related, here is a DFB guide to comfortable face masks.

1 Like

Erin Foster from Touring Plans posted about these masks on Twitter the other day and I bought a bunch for my family. Only $5 each! (If you buy more than one.) Plus they have kids sizes.

I, personally, like these kind because they are stiff enough that you aren’t breathing them in. And I put them in the washing machine.

https://shop.machadofarmfoundation.org/collections/face-masks

2 Likes

I am going to have so many masks by the time I go to Florida :joy: I got NHL ones, disposable ones, a handmade etsy Frozen one, and my latest purchase which doesn’t use the loop style, I feel it stays in the face better - no gaps! https://unbelts.com/collections/better-together/products/cloth-mask-multi-pack

1 Like

Thanks for the Amazon suggestion. I looked up ear savers, so many choices.

1 Like

Thanks, but yeesh that line though… :grimacing:

1 Like

Someone on chat, I can’t remember who (@MasterOfMyDomain maybe? Sorry!) recommended masks made of swimsuit material from Kinibands out of San Diego. I bought several plus the headband with buttons so they don’t pull your ears. Love them! The headband is an ear saver.

1 Like