Envious of my rotten kid who's in the AK today

Great descriptions!! I have never done the Animation Experience; Woodrow has done two since he arrived in January. Here is his masterpiece from last week. :smiley:

12 Likes

If you want to see how it plays out:

I personally make it a point to do it every time I’m there as it’s one of the most unique experiences in Disney. I wish every park did it in some fashion.

EDIT: during Festival of the Arts, Epcot does one too. But it’s a bit tougher because it’s out in the sun and glancing at your paper, then the screen, then back to the paper, plays hell with my eyes.

10 Likes

Thanks, I can’t believe we have never done it. My 7 year old Loves drawing! We will do that. Do we need to sign up ahead of time or just check on start times etc? Also, sorry for hijacking your topic, bay.loftis. I wish one of my older kiddos worked at Disney :wink:

4 Likes

You just show up at the start times. I’ve never seen it so full they turn anyone away.

If you add it to your TP, just be sure to add the train stations as well. The TP will automatically group it together.

5 Likes

Awesome drawing skills!

3 Likes

Wow!!

3 Likes

Exactly this. THIS is the kind of thing that makes Disney special

4 Likes

Oh… isn’t this held in the America Garden Theater?

2 Likes

Yup. And they only do it in the middle of the day, so right when the sun is at its highest. :sunny: :sunny: :sunglasses: :sunny: :sunny:

1 Like

I’ve seen the signs but the times never worked out. If you sat under cover wouldn’t it be better? I guess it fills up, but I can see the issues w/ sun and screen.

If you bring your own, sure. But the shadow of the stage never reaches out far enough.

It’s not bad enough to NOT do it. Like i said, it’s just a bit more difficult.

2 Likes

DH and I did this on our kid free trip. DH likes to think of himself as the artistic one but mine is clearly better. :joy:.

My only beef was that it was a time eating process to get out there and back - and the train broke down which also did not help the situation as we missed one session and had to wait for the next - and there just isn’t much to do (as an adult anyway) while you wait.

12 Likes

OK! I think this is important to say, and I think it informs the greatness of the Animation Experience: Woodrow is not a great artist. As far I know, he never draws anything. So for him to make this thing without any personal skills of his own, that oughtta tell ya how good the animators are at sharing their knowledge. :smiley:

10 Likes

Agree with this. The AE allows even the worst artist :raising_hand_woman: to emerge successful

6 Likes

It also helps that they provide multiple guidelines. The one in DCA does not provide any guidelines and my results are … less than stellar. I do much better at the one in AK!

3 Likes

I really, really miss this being in HS.

I haven’t spent a lot of time in AK since it’s been here. Plus, it seems like such an effort to get to it. I should make the effort.

3 Likes

This used to be in HS?

Man, what a bummer it’s not

Oh wait - was that way back in the MGM days? I’m having a vague recollection of passing a fishbowl of animators at work (so effing cool) and then being in a theatre do draw.

2 Likes

I love the Animation Experience, but it can be stressful to get to. You either have to time your arrival by train just right or wait a really long time. The time we went, they ran out of seats so we couldn’t do it.

As a consolation, we watched it on YouTube when we got home, which had the advantage of being able to pause so the kids could catch up to each step. Also no worrying about being able to see or hear what was being said.

5 Likes

That was cool but the animation thing was at HS much more recently than that. I’m trying to remember if I was considering it in 2012 or 2016. Definitely gone by 2019.

1 Like

I was so excited to finally take my mom on her last trip (for both of our first time doing it) - and then the train shut down with no idea when it would be back up. I still wonder what happened to the people that were out at the conservation station when it went down.

3 Likes