English breakfast

Jelly and jam are very distinct things. Jelly is basically fruit juice cooked with sugar and gelatin. Jam will have some seeds and a little bit of fruit in it. Preserves will have large chunks of fruit.

2 Likes

Jelly on ice cream is very wrong. Unless you call ice cream something very different than i do :grin:

2 Likes

Well of course itā€™s wrong!

The ice cream goes on top of the jelly. Duh! :stuck_out_tongue:

Then what are you calling jelly? Iā€™m confused

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=picture+of+jelly+and+ice+cream&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=0sbA4zUqbq9IoM:

1 Like

Thatā€™s jello, and it does not belong in the same bowl as ice cream. Although Iā€™m curious and sort of want to try it :grin:

Do you only use vanilla ice cream?

3 Likes

I would use vanilla.

Itā€™s often served to kids, especially at parties. And you can make jelly and add fruit to it. Or buy it ready made in little pots.

But some like strawberry ice cream with strawberry jelly.

those are not scones. I love scones, I make scones, I always have scones when I am in the UK. American biscuits are NOT scones.

3 Likes

They look like scones to me!

She has a point, they do look like them and from a picture, how are we supposed to tell the difference?!

From the taste, obviously, they are vastly inferior to a scone.

1 Like

Itā€™s also in PA and many other places in the US. Itā€™s a pretty common thing, so donā€™t worry, youā€™re not weirdā€¦ wellā€¦for this anyway.

uhhhh wellā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ :rofl:

why? you hate kids at parties?

3 Likes

Donā€™t knock it till you try it. Itā€™s a classic.

1 Like

I was talking about the food stuff! Crackers in soup is one of the weirdest things Iā€™ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Correct!

2 Likes

Found this description:
British scones are more dense, slightly drier, and more crumbly than biscuits .

Got it, scones are dry and crumbly. Sounds great. Iā€™ll keep my buttery fluffy biscuits.

7 Likes

Itā€™s basically just like dipping bread into your soup.

1 Like

A well made scone isnā€™t dry in the slightest, and I wouldnā€™t call them crumbly either. They are sweeter than your biscuits, and much more flavoursome.

2 Likes

challenge accepted! For your consideration, i present potato salad in gumbo.

2 Likes

Except itā€™s not lovely bread, which soaks up the soup in a delicious manner, itā€™s a nasty dry cracker which appears to just float on the top.

1 Like

Itā€™s actually worse, it gets soggy!

1 Like