English breakfast

I’m learning so many new things on here.

Now tell me what you call the evening meal. Is it dinner or supper. I usually call a casual meal at home with family supper, but a fancier meal, or one with more people, is dinner.

In the UK the debate is tea or dinner, not dinner or supper. I’ve never met anyone in my life who calls their evening meal supper.

2 Likes

Pleased to meet you.

2 Likes

See, i keep learning new things. I thought tea was an afternoon thing, tea and a light snack, not a whole meal

Afternoon tea is a thing but we’re not sitting round having it every day. It’s a treat, for most of us. Tea vs dinner is more of a north south divide. Though I’m Northern, I was brought up calling it dinner, because my parents do - apparently the Irish don’t call it tea. Though most of my mum’s siblings do… But DH and the kids call it tea. And I call it both.

1 Like

Supper now would tend to be a small snack before bed. Maybe a bowl of cereal, or biscuits and cheese. But it also was used at a certain time to mean dinner. My parents used it to mean dinner, in the 60s, 70s. And kept on out of habit.

Afternoon tea can be the full cream tea, sandwiches, cake, biscuits, scones etc. Or just tea and biscuits.

High tea is basically a light dinner eaten early. A combination of dinner and afternoon tea. Often used to feed the children early before bath and bed, leaving the adults to have dinner later. But it could be the whole family just having dinner early. Not often used these days, it’s just been superseded by the word Tea.

1 Like

Now you’re just trying to start something. They’re called cookies.

2 Likes

New Jersey too. Sometimes I order extra just to have it for breakfast.

1 Like

Now we know why it’s FORMER.

crackers

Was supposed to read fancy. I fixed it.

But seriously, if you’re in the Midwest, Casey’s General stores have really good pizza. Especially the taco pizza.

2 Likes

who calls cookies crackers? Crackers go in soup or have cheese from a can sprayed on them

2 Likes

No.

Crackers have butter and/or real cheese on them. You know, the dairy product that is mad from cow or goat milk, like Cheddar, Brie, Camambert, Double Gloucester, Stilton … Crackers are also known as “biscuits for cheese”, although the latter phrase would also include things like digestives, oatcakes etc.

Biscuits are things you can dip in tea (although I hate that). Bourbon or custard creams, ginger nuts, chocolate covered biscuits etc. Cookies are big, flat biscuits, a sub-set of biscuits.

1 Like

What do you call this?

a9ff12f77a5844a3b6b349bbc63c8fcd

2 Likes

What fresh hell is this?

1 Like

Which part was confusing?
Soup-Crackers-1947127

1 Like

Oh good lord. I thought this might be where I discovered that cracker had another meaning. Apparently not.

Thank you. Pink Floyd makes so much more sense to me now.

3 Likes

A biscuit of course - like to have gravy on those - yum

A scone with cream. Where’s the jam? The jam is supposed to help the cream stay put. I never put jam on bread, toast or whatever; I only eat it in cakes or scones.

I suppose someone’s going to try telling me it’s jelly next! So, for that person, whoever you are, here’s my reply to your post.

No. Jelly is eaten with ice cream as a pudding. Or on it’s own.

1 Like