Does Your Husband Carry a Backpack?

Not only does my husband carry a backpack, he carries THE backpack. I go dork-mode and wear a fanny-pack for my phone just so that I can find them if we aren’t together.

Early on, visiting the local Six Flags, I established the rule that “We leave when someone gets cranky, and that will probably be me.” When I would go with DD and she was at that “Carry Me, I’m tired” age I would tell her I get cranky when I get tired so we might as well leave. So that established with the family that if I get tired, we leave earlier. So no one asks me to carry anything, ever.

Your situation is a little different than mine though since my family is motivated to be there and stay longer. I would just be really clear that you won’t have room in your bag for his stuff.

For water, I got these and they work great with the park cups.

I did somehow start being the Carrier of Drinks. DH and I usually share one and DD has a brita water bottle that I carry for her. Not sure how that happened.

4 Likes

Our whole family wears cinch sacks, even my husband.

Drawstring Backpack String Bag Sackpack Cinch Water Resistant Nylon for Gym Shopping Sport Yoga by WANDF (Black) Amazon.com

1 Like

We sometimes joke that DH is our sherpa.

3 Likes

So…y’all bring a separate water bottle for each person? You don’t share?

I’m not hauling 5 water bottles :joy:

We usually bring 1-3 (depending on availability of refills, or if there’s a reason for someone to have their own - like recent cold). When the kids were little and backwash (hork) was a thing, DH and I always had a separate one. But now that they’re (somewhat) civilized…we share.

3 Likes

Yes because even with large bottles we end up drinking it all and it’s still easier than dragging the half gallon thermos we keep in the car for refills. We’re fish!

1 Like

With small children, we pack as though we are traveling through the desert and may be stranded for days. Our stroller is packed with a diaper bag, change of clothes, small cooler with food, and as many cups and bottles of water as possible.

On top of that, yes, I also carry a back pack.

6 Likes

Well, I don’t have a husband, (not that there’s anything wrong with that) but I am a husband.

I wear cargo shorts, but I don’t like to have them loaded up. I generally keep a phone, a credit card and ID, a pack of gum, and a few sheckles of cash in my shorts pockets.

For everything else, I’ve succumbed to a small sling bag. Snacks, external battery, water bottles, hand wipes, napkins. Not too much at all.

I’ll NEVER be a fanny pack dude. BUT, everyone I know that uses one says they are fantastic. I’ll probably give in someday, but for now…it’s a hard no.

I’d suggest getting a decent sling with a comfortable shoulder strap, and nice pockets inside, and also a nice quick access zipped pocket (for a phone/external battery) and letting him test it.

I also used to think minivans were for old folks. They are freekin fantastic. I’m always reminded of the saying, “The worst part about owning a minivan is walking to it.”

4 Likes

We do a water bottle for each of us, 5 in all. A habit from when the kids were young and there was backwash. Blech. But I’m one who has to sip at water and stay hydrated, so is my youngest. We easily overheat.

1 Like

This is what I wear at amusement parks and when travelling - lots of space and security, the leather is very good quality and there’s even RFID shielding. It’s called a Stash bag, made by the same people who make Sash purses.
stash_bag

4 Likes

Mine does not but he would if I were not such a control freak. I carry the backpack for us. I can’t explain it but I just like being the one to do it.

2 Likes

Typical man. Talking for a woman. She has her own voice. Let her use it. Monster.

4 Likes

You are Jerry Seinfeld and I claim my five pounds.

2 Likes

I get this. I usually carry all the trip stuff and pass it off as being nice and fair because of how much DW does for me, but part of it is needing to be in control. :smile:

4 Likes

My husband does carry a backpack, yes, with all the family stuff in it - water bottle, sweaters, etc. It’s never really been an issue at Disney because we’ve always had a stroller but for other trips, the zoo etc, my husband does carry a backpack, yes, with all the family stuff in it - water bottle, sweaters, etc. At the parks he has a waist pack (we’re not allowed to call it a fanny pack) that he wears cross-body with his stuff - sunglasses, his phone, he can even squash a water bottle in there.

1 Like

I carry a backpack. I didn’t like the sling style, so I have a smallish/mediumish REI pack. Its great. I love it, I can carry my crap (and my family’s crap) and it doesn’t bother me in the heat of summer. If I was going solo, I would probably find a smaller something (or nothing) but when 2 or more of us go, I just grab the pack.

1 Like

In Florida?

2 Likes

I’m a total minivan evangelist :slight_smile:

With the seats out? Cargo van! I’ve fit a full size couch back there, with the lift fully closed. Can’t do that with most SUVs (even pickups with toppers are often too short in either height or length for a full size couch).

Low entry point - easy for small children and anyone with mobility issues to enter/exit.

Kids can’t door ding someone with the sliding doors - that I can open/close from the drivers seat!

Full size 3rd row (comfortable for adults), plus cargo space behind? Love it. Unless you get a suburban or similar size, most 3rd row SUVs have undersized 3rd rows and you basically lose all your cargo space when it’s up!

Minivans for life :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

Always be prepared! We usually go in February so sometimes it’s chilly in the morning/after dark.

3 Likes

So overdramatic. :joy: But we are also the group who refers to ourselves as homeless when the room isn’t ready. :laughing:

5 Likes

I’ll add to this.

Easy to get an infant car seat in and out without worrying about other cars parking too close. (Sliding doors for the win)

Can easily transport 7 people and comfortable for adults in the back.

And my favorite if a car does park to close to driver door, easy enough to hop in and go from the back to the driver seat.

2 Likes