Covid vaccine and you

I agree but it would depend on if they limited international travel

I guess they are considering making negative tests a requirement to travel to the U.S.

NEWS: The U.S. May Require Negative COVID-19 Tests For All International Travelers | the disney food blog

Would be interesting to see more data on this. Anecdotally, this wasn’t the case for me. I caught it while masked from a masked coworker when having to get closer than 6ft briefly.

I still think this is a double edged sword. There’s a group that won’t go if this requirement is lifted too soon, and another group that won’t go now, but will when that is lifted. It depends on which of those groups is bigger and the comfort level of everyone else in the middle.

If no one wore masks, then even 6 ft would no longer be safe because much more of the virus would be floating in the air at all times.

So, yeah. Masks are still most important. But it is no guarantee against spread.

Put another way, if everyone stopped wearing masks but maintained the 6 ft, you would see far more spread than if everyone kept wearing masks, but stopped maintaining 6 ft.

4 Likes

I get that. What I mean is that WDW can’t really open up fully due to social distancing rules, not because of masks. But WDW could open up fully if social distancing rules were dropped, even with mask mandates in place. Whether people CHOOSE to come or not is another matter. But Disney can’t even achieve enough capacity for everyone to make that choice as long as there are social distancing measures in place.

Look at the walkways. They are extremely narrow now because they are congested with the lines that are spread outside of the normal queues. Shows can only fill to 1/4 capacity max. Many rides must reduce number of riders (although that has improved), reducing capacity further. With social distancing lifted, all of this can return to normal. The only exception would probably be dining, since people are maskless, so some measure of social distancing will need to be maintained.

ETA: Oh, and of course, fireworks can return without social distancing requirements.

1 Like

Just curious if you were in proximity but more than 6 feet for any length of time? One of my coworkers caught it after spending most of a day in a (large-ish) room with 3 others who were not wearing masks all of the time. She was more than 6 feet away, but I don’t think 6 feet is any guarantee if you are in the same room for hours together, and especially if one party is not masked. Honestly, if I had been in her position, I would have refused to be in there with them. She now will not attend those meetings in person even though she’s had COVID.

3 Likes

I don’t think so. There were two people that I was around who then tested positive and stopped coming to work the next day. Neither was in the same room as me at all other than a single 5-min or so conversation.

What’s comical at my work though, is there’s all these memos on the ever-changing covid policy, and some of it is very strict, going even further than CDC. But nothing about the lunchroom, and during the noon hour, people are still in there sitting at tiny round 30" diameter tables together in groups, talking and eating together, maskless. Duh. I’m pretty sure some of the spread at my work has happened in there. I never sat at a lunch table with anyone else before covid, and certainly wouldn’t now. Why pretend with masks and distancing elsewhere if you’re willing to sit literally one foot away from someone without a mask for 30+ minutes. A lot of people can’t eat at their desks because they’re technically part of a lab area where eating is not allowed, but still.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s crazy - they closed the lunchroom at my husband’s job and everyone has to eat in their cars.

1 Like

Funny thing… A friend of mine has a grandpa who lives somewhere in Florida and was told at 85 that he is “not old enough” for their current round of vaccinations. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I’m only a skim reader of these covid threads, so apologies if this is something that’s either been discussed or dismissed, but the scenario above reinforces to me the necessity of fresh ventilation - something I wasn’t aware of near the beginning but I now take with great importance.

3 Likes

Yes, that has something that has been discussed. However, there are many office buildings that don’t have the capability to allow fresh air into the building. I work in an old building (historic actually) that had been renovated into a department store back when they were downtown and then later into offices. There are no windows that can open and our ventilation through the cooling/heating system has always been questionable. I’m sure there are many buildings like this or even newer buildings that have windows that don’t open.

I agree. It was an interior room and even though we have an HVAC system, I’m not sure how well it recirculates the air.

This is for the discussion earlier about herd immunity.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Do you have any references / studies to support that statement? I would love to delve into that idea more.

2 Likes

Me too. I’m not convinced that would be the case.

1 Like

Dose 1 done!!

16 Likes

Yay!!

1 Like

Yes!! I am BARELY making the timing for my second dose - window of Feb 12-22. I am in Orlando from the night of the 11th through the 17th. I have to test on the 14th or 15th in Orlando and then stay put for 3 days when I get back, getting another test on the 21st (going the rapid route) to be sprung. So I’ll get tested morning/afternoon of the 21st and then get Dose 2 in the evening.

2 Likes

That is convoluted. Why do you have to test in Orlando?
I am quite happy to be getting my second dose the week before I head to Orlando.

1 Like

For NY if you take a test within 72 hours of going back to (or to if visiting) NY and it is negative, you only have to quarantine for 3 days and test negative on your 4th day to be free.

And yes - they text and you have to respond or they will call OR visit your address. And there is a delay between your response and getting a “thank you for your response” reply so I am guessing they check the pings to make sure you are where you’re supposed to be.

Fine can be 15 days in prison and/or $10K.

2 Likes