Covid vaccine and you

My secret to painting is to start doing it and then have DH take over in exasperation. He loves to paint, he is the very best painter I have ever seen. I never hire anyone except to paint very high ceilings, etc. If I do hire someone he’ll just find fault with it, so it’s just better that he do it from the start.

DO you use a sprayer? We finally learned to do it that way. Take them off the hinges, remove the hinges, get a sprayer and add Floetrol to the paint. Make sure it’s new paint, don’t use anything with any dried bits.

It sounds like a lot of work but for 22 doors it will save you SO much time & it’ll look professional. Just line them up in the garage and have at it. It can’t be done a little at a time, you just set aside a whole weekend and go for it.

2 Likes

I’ve heard there’s more waste with a sprayer, have you noticed that you use more paint with sprayer as opposed to using a roller or brush?

1 Like

It’s one of those time vs money thing!:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I have a sprayer, but I haven’t used it. DH did for some tables and chairs we did in 2017. But it was summer. Our garage is a gigantic storage area filled top to bottom with yard items and kid stuff. It’s worth talking to him about it. But it’s so cold here right now and the garage isn’t heated… It would have been a good idea in the summer time or fall, had we thought of it then.

1 Like

When we had our bathroom done the contractor couldn’t believe I wanted to paint it myself. I find it super therapeutic. But for some reason I am very steady with a brush, and I keep a smaller brush with me, as well. The time it takes to tape I could have half the cutting in done.

One thing I do NOT do is ceilings. BTDT - hurt my neck one too many times. That I have no problem hiring anymore.

2 Likes

Our NY governor had an hour long presser today that I just listened to.

My hospital system is in the bottom 10 (not bottom 10% - bottom 10) out of 194 for distribution. They have only distributed 25% of what was sent. There are probably a few reasons for it. For sure, one is staff declining. Secondly, it could be because we are so short staffed that staff can’t leave the unit to have it done and in order to staff a clinic, you have to pull nurses from patient care. Finally, it could be because they are not giving it to anyone who has been positive in the last 3 months and that is a lot of staff.

I wonder if they will address it in an in-system email.

There’s only more waste with a sprayer if you are doing a little bit, say a door or two, because it adheres to the sprayer. However, if you’re doing 22 doors the waste is proportionally much less.

The same goes for waste of time. I wouldn’t set up a sprayer for a couple of doors, but I would for a couple of dozen.

2 Likes

I think threatening doctors with loss of their license and a million dollar fine for vaccinating the wrong person is not going to help, either.

2 Likes

Does seem crazy if the goal is to vaccinate as many people as possible. That policy seemingly incentivizes letting vaccines expire rather than risk vaccinating the wrong person.

1 Like

I’ve been in my house for 22 years and the town got after us to paint it. We looked into siding and at $12k or more I almost died. I tried to hire a friend to do it but with one excuse or another why he was not able to start after another I hired a pro. At 3k I can have my house painted 4 times before I hit the cost of siding. I did have problems getting the painters here when they said they would be but in the end the house looks great. Power washed, 2 coats of primer, and 2 coast of paint all the trim, eves, and over hangs and even the foundation all for $3k.

3 Likes

We discussed this last night. The problem is we never have had possession of more than a few at a times. Buy 3-4, hang them over a month or so. Buy 3-4 more. At least I only have to paint one side of the hanging sliding closet doors. :wink:

1 Like

Yes. The reason why the vaccine is not getting out is due to a major change in the rules. I don’t think more rules will help that situation very much.

2 Likes

An update on the covid vaccine here in North Dakota. Looks like they expect to have it available via our clinic to the general public by the end of January. I will believe it when I see it but wouldn’t that be nice. I would be booking Disney for the coming October. Don’t want to rush things so until they get most things up and running I am not going to book to start our AP’s until later. Universal here we come! Two weeks booked separately in June and July. :heart_eyes::star_struck::wink::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Just got signed up for my first dose!!!

Friday at 5pm I get my first dose of the Moderna vaccine!! (Yay Dolly Parton-funded one!!!)

15 Likes

This evening, DH found out that here in Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix area - we’re snowbirds) people can try to volunteer to help with some of the big mass vaccination sites (such as State Farm Stadium parking lot). And those who do volunteer, can receive the vaccine shot on their work shift. For us, that could be weeks or months earlier than we expected to get it! DH and I have now applied to be non-clinical volunteers. We will wait and see how this turns out.

5 Likes

WHO announced that it will be a year before world herd immunity is achieved due to lack of vaccine access for all countries. I wonder how that will effect WDW and returning to a new ‘normal’ like stopping the mask requirement. If we won’t see a safer world until 2022 I wonder what WDW will do?

1 Like

The mask requirement isn’t really a problem for WDW. But social distancing is. With social distancing measures, they can’t really open up fully for ride capacity and shows, etc.

I wonder if there will be any plans, once enough people are vaccinated, to eliminate social distancing while keeping the mask requirement longer. Of the two, obviously masks are more important.

1 Like

I know a lot of people that believe the new guidance from the cdc will be 3ft (the new head worked on that guidance for MA schools). They may increase capacity and continue masks for a while?

1 Like

I’m all for mask requirements to continue; it’s the easiest visible thing to do at the parks. The social distancing is an issue, but walkway congestion needs to be managed better and could be reduced with opening up all shows and food venues. And if they could open all shows and food then they could conceivably increase the number allowed into the parks.

edited to add: with the new more contagious mutation they might have to wait until more are vaccinated though

2 Likes

Could US herd immunity be achieved before world herd immunity? If so, then WDW may not be an issue, especially if international travel is still limited.

1 Like