Covid vaccine and you

And we were told the first day we could get dose 2 is the 12th and we had 10 days from that so between the 12th and 22nd.

Oh, it’s for your return (that makes sense since Florida doesn’t have any protocols like that).

1 Like

Yeah. It is to not have to stay put for 10 days on returning.

2 Likes

That’s worth it.

WooHoo. Happy for you!

1 Like

I am a frontline worker. I am a home healthcare provider. I work with Covid and non covid patients daily. I have seen the aftereffects of this virus-the ventilator survivors. They struggle to breathe, to get their strength back. Some have confusion, some have blood clots. Some have minimal symptoms but then end of back in the hospital after they crash suddenly.

I have been on 1 vacation since this started-camping with my direct family, hiking, biking-nothing indoors. I have not been to a sit-down restaurant since March. The 4 of us in the household have taken this seriously. My husband decided not to go back to work after retiring, my son who is in college got his own apartment and does mostly online, my daughter was going to grad school but it didn’t work out for her and I feel that Covid is partly to blame. We have been able to stay virus free. My family understands what can happen if I carry this virus into my vulnerable patient’s homes. I have worked in fear of this from day 1.

I received the 2nd dose of the vaccine last week. My state (SD) has been ahead of the curve. (Surprising considering our governor’s stand to “do right thing for you” as far as mask wearing goes). We have moved on from frontline workers and nursing homes to first responders and assisted livings. Giving the vaccine is not as simple as poking a needle in your arm. You have to keep a record, you have to monitor for symptoms. You have to have a plan for those 2nd doses. You have to organize people into the priority groups. Perhaps the healthcare providers don’t want to take a dose from their more at risk patients. Perhaps they have been influenced by some of the side effects reported. I had a sore arm for a couple of days and a feeling of relief and hope. I had some co-workers with low grade temps and aches. I still need to be careful, I still need to wear a mask.

I am hoping to go to Disney in March with my sister who is a teacher but we will not go if she has not received her vaccine. We are close to the end of this so it is not worth the risk to us. I will go to visit her instead as it will be safer for me to travel.

15 Likes

WooHoo!! I now have an appointment scheduled for my first shot, Feb 16. I’m 65 wintering in the Phoenix area. Today at 9:00am they opened up scheduling for those 65+. DH was able to snag my appointment online after about 8 minutes. It takes a while to find a day with open time slots. He’s not yet 65 but has various health issues that should make him eligible, but no luck for him. 1C here means 65+ and those of any age with high-risk conditions. Maybe they’re just focusing on the age group first, then the others later. This is at the State Farm Stadium where the AZ Cardinals play, and is a huge drive-through parking lot distribution site. People have reported that often others in their vehicle have been offered the vaccine shot “as long as they’re there.” DH will be my driver.

We had previously applied to be a non-clinical volunteer, but haven’t been fully approved yet. That would also be a way to get a vaccine shot, perhaps earlier than my 2/16 date.

So now we wait. Definitely feels good to have this much! But my BG is almost a month away.

9 Likes

My dad lives in Cochise County. I haven’t talked to him in a few days, but last week he told me that the hospital in Wilcox doesn’t have any vaccine. They said they will call him when they have it. He’s 85 so definitely eligible.

1 Like

Here in NJ, I am eligible as a category1b, but I have not been able to successfully schedule an appointment. Despite signing up on the state registry on opening day, when my category changed from 1c to 1b, they did not send me notice to schedule like they promised. In their database they haven’t changed any of us from 1c to 1b when the classifications changed. I signed up on an independent hospital website for a megasite they were opening, but I was not notified when the scheduler opened, and by the time I found out, there were no appointments left.
It is such a cluster f, and I am furious right now. No one is doing what they said they would do, none of the systems are talking to each other, and millions of people are pretty much locked out of getting a vaccine anytime in the near future.

6 Likes

Your sentiments are shared by many right now. I hope a reorganization helps w/ upcoming change in ldrshp. I know there are plans in the works just waiting for the ‘go button’ to start :wink: My own dr. last week was useless to me.

3 Likes

Yes it absolutely should’ve been a national effort, maybe run by the national guard. But given our leadership at the national level, that clearly wasn’t going to happen. :roll_eyes: One more day. :crossed_fingers:
But even so, state leadership failed miserably in this sense. I’m mostly happy with the way the governor handled the pandemic, but this was a mistake. Too many systems, they don’t connect to each other, and they changed categories without changing the database they told us we needed to register on. Some of the smaller sites run by county government are still not taking 1b people bc they want to finish 1A first, even though they were told NOT to hold vaccines bc 1A has had weeks to get the vaccine.
Even if the incoming POTUS acquires more doses, I fear it’s going to be like this for months as the the expanded inventory trickles in.

2 Likes

PA is still doing 1A and I’m not even sure what they are going to do next. There is 1b and then there are those that are 65+ and those with medical conditions hat are being added. That is millions of people here. At the rate we are going, this will go on for years. But don’t worry, Levine says that pharmacies will have them and mass vaccination centers are coming at some point. :roll_eyes: What a mess.

Well things have been a mess… governors govern they do not run businesses and don’t know how to scale. I saw a news story where Starbucks in OR was offering help to organize efforts in that state. I know POTUS is going to use FEMA to get into hard to reach areas and use that defense act to force increased manufacturing … all this will take some time.

A FDA approval of the single dose J&J vaccine could be a game changer. There is already a 100 million dose agreement with the government.

ETA approval of J&J and AZ vaccines is key to Biden’s 100 million vaccines in first 100 days

3 Likes

Yes, they were added to 1b here last week, which is how I’m newly eligible. Oh plus they added smokers to 1b, which has been controversial. Adding smokers alone is an additional 7 million people trying to schedule.

We have a number of mass sites open, but the problem is not enough vaccines. They opened the megasites when Trump said they were releasing the stockpile bc they were expecting more doses. But we all know what that turned out to be.

Supposed to be requesting approval by March. Would be a great boost to supply. Now, we also have to worry about demand. Dr. Gottlieb suspects only about 120M Americans want to be vaccinated. Hopefully there’s a snowball effect and that shoots up as more people have no negative effects from it.

2 Likes

According to Fauci it’s sooner than March and I hope he is correct. My friends son was in the clinical trial for J&J. Found out today he received the actual vaccine and not the placebo.

WATCH: Dr. Fauci says “we are weeks away, not months away” from reviewing new vaccine data from AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson

2 Likes

Although J &J said they promised 12 million doses immediately and last week it was reported they were having issues and it would be in the single millions?

One thing about the national Guard. In Massachusetts we are already using all medical teams of the National Guard to support our medical community and field hospitals? They cannot help with vaccines.

I admit, I wasn’t thinking about that because we don’t have any field hospitals open anymore. Valid point.
But what about the armed forces?

They could utilize AD-mil. They could train many to give shots, set up vaccination sites and run them.

1 Like