Covid vaccine and you

Yes we have recently established a VERY LIMITED CLOSED vaccination site specifically for those VERY FEW PEOPLE who need the J&J vaccine and it has to be coordinated through the ordering provider because of the limitations and criteria involved. It’s great that this is an option for you!!

5 Likes

J & J is all over the place here. It seems like such regional thing.

1 Like

Oh no no no, that’s not what i mean. Our state has gotten plenty. I mean our organization has established this protocol to ensure that J&J is available to those who really and truly require it (as well as those who require close medical observation in an ER-type setting post administration). Here in NH you generally get what you get and you don’t get upset and you almost never know what is available until you are about to get it in your arm.

6 Likes

I got the J&J around 2:30pm on Wednesday! I had very little pain in my arm (and after a flu shot my arm normally hurts for a few days) and started to get a headache at about 9pm. I went to bed early but woke up around 1am with chills and a fever, but was able to go back to sleep for a few hours. Fortunately I was able to work for home on Thursday (still feeling generally crummy and with a headache) but by dinnertime I started to feel back to normal. I woke up this morning and feel perfectly fine! I absolutely hate needles so I was very happy to get a one shot vaccine, and I would definitely endure 36 hours of symptoms again in order to be protected.

6 Likes

Gotcha. That’s not what’s happening here.
It seems fairly easy to find whichever one you may want. My primary office called last week to let us know she had J & J in stock. They called again this week to say there are still some left. I’m sure she wouldn’t have the storage means necessary to provide the other two. She is a small private practice.
Meanwhile my mom (who uses same MD) had already started her Pfizer series at the health dept a few weeks ago, so she stuck with that.

At the hospital we have J & J for patients who are unlikely to return for second dose (live further away or have other limitations) and for staff who prefer it. We also have Pfizer. The Pfizer is administered by a team. Any staff member can administer J & J. (Based on storage.)

1 Like

Moderna doesn’t really require much in the way of special handling. We are a small office with only a small freezer but we are able to set our low temp sufficient to accommodate it. We expect that once it becomes a more commonplace vaccine we will administer here in our offices, and have put the few changes in place in anticipation of that. Pfizer is a whole other animal though :wink:

2 Likes

Gotcha. I don’t hear Moderna mentioned as much here as Pfizer. I misunderstood and thought they both required special handling.

To me, those reactions sound like reactions to getting a shot, any shot. I seem to remember these types of news reports coming out about the Pfizer vaccine as well. It could be just because the J & J vaccine is a bit newer, and once it’s been around a while, they’ll stop happening (or stop being reported on).

1 Like

Moderna needs slightly colder than most frozen vaccine, but nothing a usual freezer can’t handle.

I don’t think we’ll ever see Pfizer in offices unless down the road places have clinics not unlike flu shot clinic where they get a predictable supply for a predictable number of patients so as not to waste any

1 Like

I just asked my mom. A bunch of her friends have gotten Moderna at Walgreens and others at local University. She got Pfizer by health dept., but her neighbor got Pfizer at CVS.
I guess they are all around here!

Moderna and Pfizer is what is mostly available around here. J&J is at a few pharmacies, but in PA, they were mostly used to vaccinate teachers.

1 Like

We don’t have J&J yet in Canada (approved, no supply) So, AZ 55-64 can get it. Pfizer more common in the larger cities, Moderna in the rural areas. The only choice is you can get AZ now if in the age range, or wait for P or M in a later phase for that age range. It’s all so convuluted. Will be so much easier when it’s just available to general public.

I was able to get it because of an underlying health condition. Thus far other than one aunt who is resistant, all that have qualified have got it (including 2 aunts that got the AZ one so they can visit with my 89 year old grandma)

1 Like

Got an email from Patrick AFB clinic yesterday telling us we could sign up, first come first serve, for Moderna. It was SO much easier to drive 50+ miles to a FEMA site or the VA Hospital and wait in a line. Sad that a long drive and line is easier than trying to make an appointment 5 miles away from our house… but hey we’re done right!?!

4 Likes

DH got his first Pfizer vaccine today. I got a message today that I could schedule mine (2 days early for 1C). I chose next Friday for my first vaccine. We are in PA.

5 Likes

Today Pfizer applied for Emergency Use Authorization for their vaccine for 12-15 year olds. I get my second Pfizer dose on Tuesday!

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1380566610969300996?s=21

13 Likes

:clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3:

Let’s get those young adolescents vaxxed up!!!

11 Likes

I saw this and am so excited. I want DD13 vaxxed before WDW if possible. Her friend that’s coming with had covid so I’m less worried about her but DD unless she was asymptotic has not and we’re gonna be there 15 days and then she immediately hops on a plane to her dads in IN. Fingers crossed they hurry up and open it up. Even if it’s just one before the trip I’ll feel better since it’s 80%.

5 Likes

Yes! Got appts for our DD17 and DS19! We will be Fully vaccinated for our trip, except DS11.

12 Likes

I was specifically told to not take tylenol or any nsaids BEFORE the vaccine as it could interfere somehow. Only take tylenol after to manage symptoms if they appear.

6 Likes

That’s awesome!!! As soon as any vaccine is available they will unblinded the studies for the kids in the trials so they can get vaccinated if they received the placebo🤞🏻!

1 Like