Covid vaccine and you

My clinic sent out email describing 1a and 1b levels (neither of which are me or mine) and that they have 50,000 patients that meet these criteria and have administered 7k already. They said they will keep us updated. I feel like they are being pretty communicative but we’ll be in the last batch here in my house. I like knowing where they are at and when I can sign up.

Edit: also in Texas. In Austin

1 Like

I’m currently painting my whole downstairs so we can theoretically move the is spring. I would never dream of hiring it out. I’d much rather spend money on fun things like vacay.

I can understand not “wasting” the vaccine on someone who had covid in the last 3 months, but that actually goes against the CDC recommendations. The guidelines say that everyone should get it, even if they’ve had covid. My medical assistant had covid in November but got her vaccine this weekend since she sees covid positive patients with me almost daily.

If there is truly short supply in your area, I understand the recommendation. But here we have enough refusers that we can vaccinate all eligible so far who actually want it.

2 Likes

My thoughts about the states where the elderly are getting it first is they likely assume that keeping the highest risk people out of the hospitals (because they aren’t getting it) will alleviate the hospital crises and slow the spread.

Medical staff has already been dealing successfully with these patients and fewer patients will make their lives much better than just immunity. They would still have to gown up/PPE so they didn’t spread it and the ERs and ICUs would still be full of the disease. By lessening the number of people who need the services, there will be less stress on the system and may even slow the spread of the disease.

6 Likes

Much agreed about painting myself. The general contractor was charging over $10k to paint the house and doors, door jams etc. I can buy those supplies for under $1k and I am probably buying higher quality paint too. That’s an insane savings.

1 Like

Amen

1 Like

This was scarier than anything I faced in 2020.

Honestly - I used to love painting and now I’m sort of -meh- about it. But I am about saving money. And there have been times I’ve hired a painter and they aren’t necessarily Better than I am.

13 Likes

I don’t know what prompted that guidance. I did not ask.

Is that ladder on steps?? Oh hell no. Nope nope nope.

2 Likes

No painter is better than you. They don’t care. Last time I painted my whole house hubby gave me so much crud for not hiring a painter thinking I couldn’t do as well. I always point out mistakes everywhere we go now because he would point out my small ones. Everywhere you go you see much bigger mistakes from professionals. And they’ve ruined my stuff like curtains and they ruined my tiles.

I also painted a vaulted ceiling stairway on a wraparound. I had the ladder on two different steps, one foot on the top rung you aren’t supposed to step on and one on the windowsill reaching with my extender handle doing the trim. Never ever again. I’m too short. If that gets painted again I will hire someone. I’m lucky to not be dead!

3 Likes

When we painted this in 2018 I was shaking so much you could hear the plastic shaking on the tool I was using. Today it was less scary.
My DH built a shelfy thing so we could turn the ladder each direction, too.

I hope to never do this again.

The open floor plan/ high ceiling thing of newer homes scares me. We are hoping to move and then I will always have to hire someone. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Wait. What is this thread about?

Sorry.

1 Like

Ha ha ha. I have no idea anymore.

1 Like

Jenny good for you. Painting looks great…save the money fore something else

I have an almost 100 year old house and I hate the open floorplans of newer homes. It sounds great in theory, but it’s so dang loud. I love my old house with all it’s quirky rooms and narrow hallways. Plus we are all pretty short, (oldest DSis the tallest at 5’6) so the low ceilings don’t really bother us.
I don’t, however love all the ancient pipes, wires, and foundation, lol.

2 Likes

I agree about the noise.
We are a large family, and having more, smaller rooms is actually helpful as we each can find places to be and do school (we homeschool). When I am looking at houses, I always look for a place for the piano that wouldn’t overwhelm the entire first floor when someone is playing it.

I do see plenty of homes with a den or such that would fit the bill of newer (I am very over remodel after two fixer uppers), but still offer some quieter spaces.

1 Like

As part of my water leak damage I have redirected some funds to add more walls and doors to my once remodeled older home to open it up. I cannot stand the openness with four dogs and two teenagers it’s insanely loud. I don’t have a bedroom door as my bedroom is the only thing upstairs and I can hear my kids getting water at 2am. It’s enough! Lol

2 Likes

I saw an interview with some HGTV exec where they asked why the explosion of open plan came to be circa turn of the century. They said it was because they wanted to attract men to watch their design shows and men loved to see the demolition. Since people took ideas from what they saw on those shows, the open plan took off.

My dad always did his own painting and meticulously unscrewed all the door handles and latches etc, painted, waited for it to dry then put them back on.
When he got older and hired painters for the first time, he marvelled at how professional they were because they could paint the doors without having to remove the handles…
… Until they finished and left and he realised that they had actually just painted the edges of the handles :triumph:

4 Likes

I like that we are discussing painting techniques in “Covid Vaccine and You” thread :thinking::rofl::rofl:

Your dad went above and beyond, I would tape around door handles and only remove switch and electrical socket covers. If you have a good brush and a steady hand you can cut into an edge above the baseboard and trim w/o taping. I also use drop cloths… they are essential for painting cuz accidents happen :grimacing:

1 Like

The best threads go off topic :wink::laughing:
It they didn’t I would seldom have anything to contribute!

2 Likes