Covid vaccine and you

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I took a year off from teaching. But from what I am hearing from others this is a very valid concern. I understand how difficult that decision must have been. My son has not yet hit that point, but we are considering hybrid for him Semester 2. I don’t want it to get to the point where we regret the decision.

There was an article recently re: suicide and women stats. It is a real and valid concern. Covid risks are more than just getting Covid.

Edit: Typing while drinking Manhattans = hard

3 Likes

Yes it was a long and hard decision and I completely changed my tune from summer to Oct when I changed her school status as our schools gave us a choice and offer both. She needs human interaction with other teenagers. But yes I also thought if someone in our house got covid and were unlucky enough to have long term symptoms or pass away I’d never forgive myself. At the end of the day I trusted the odds that given our ages and health I had to do what was best for her mental health first as already being a teen girl is a risk factor! My DS16 is doing online school and is doing well that way. It’s not an easy decision but I understand and respect both choices as a parent with both.

2 Likes

My mom quit substituting because of covid as she was already retired (because she got a new awful principal and said I’m too old for this!).

And yup about the alcohol and typing. I end up editing all my posts because wine or not I make so many typos and don’t reread until after I post. Lol.

3 Likes

one comment. I don’t know what ER or ICU nurses have done but I would imagine not much after what they have seen. Still you have the young ones that watch mostly older Americans die and may still feel they are invicable and won’t get the same results. They might be right but then again if their wrong it is too late. I know it scares the hell out of me as I have never seen so many people die of a virus.

1 Like

When I got a blood clot in my leg I was required to give myself a blood thinning shot in the stomach. The needle was very small and the shot did not hurt at all. What hurt was the black and blue mark it left for a few days at the injection site. Giving it was not a problem at all.

1 Like

I wish we had the option to send our boys (15 & 16) back to in person school. I would do it in a heartbeat! Distance learning has been so hard on them. They miss their friends. Overall we have been socially distancing from those that are at most risk, but like today, I let them go golfing with a couple friends. We take measured risks and try to be responsible for others, but their emotional well-being is very important too.

6 Likes

After witnessing my daughter and my son I’m very grateful for the option. And keeping those at home like my son helps alleviate some risk for those that need in person school more.

2 Likes

I have buddies who work in hospitals (ER particularly as doctors and nurses) and, particularly around the holidays, I have seen pics (maskless) with friends and family, arms around each other. It is frustrating as I have avoided family for the holidays.

In the news, at least half of front line workers are refusing vaccines. Among the reasons are pregnancy (I get that honestly), wanting to continue protocols set in place instead (masks and such) and a belief that, if they get it, it is not that bad. This is widely searchable on the internet.

1 Like

Bless. Today is a tough day. I am the daughter of an Irish sailor and can hold my alcohol. But today I got out of bed at 2pm and it has not been a good day for me. I have made the, perhaps unwise, decision to paint the house today as well. I am afraid what the results will look like in the morning…

2 Likes

Ha ha ha. We had a water leak in the dang center of the house ruining everything. We are in the beginning of two months in a rental home and I’ve decided to save $10k and paint the whole thing myself so I’m probably going to be in the same boat when my times comes to paint. Lol. I’m on my second glass of wine for today. It’s hard when the world and your house have fallen apart to not drink. I’m also part Irish (maternal grandma was a Jackson with red hair and only freckles never tans).

I should add hubby said we could spend that $10k on our summer Disney trip so I had lots of motivation to take the risk but I’m also decent with a brush. Here’s a recent project I did to my daughters closet for fun.

20 Likes

Woohoo that’s awesome! :heart_eyes::clap:t2:

3 Likes

The water damage was from the bathroom next door which ruined it sigh. But it was fun and just a closet after all. Lol

1 Like

That is… amazing, Jenny (is your name actually, Jenny?). You should be proud.

2 Likes

‘Tis my name. I’m super brave as it’s just paint after all and can always be fixed. When my daughter was little I painted butterflies all over her walls. My son got sports stuff. I can do crazy stuff with their rooms since they are kids and I can get away with it. Ha ha ha. And thanks. The pic doesn’t do the colors justice. It really is indigo and violet but looks so dark on my phone.

2 Likes

That’s amazing!!

1 Like

Really. How do they account for the many bodies. So many in fact that morgues are fully and containers have to be used to hold them until cremated or other, but even the morturies are full and can’t handle them. I think sometimes people are like sticking their heads in the sand so a not to acknowledge what is before their eyes. The convent Truth. Keep of like Global Warming.

1 Like

Most of my ER peeps acknowledge that it is deadly, but treat it like they would other diseases. Maybe its a stress reliever? I’m not a doctor. I can’t pretend to know the stress of working with this every day. Maybe it is a God complex. A feeling that, if they haven’t caught it being around it everyday, they never will? I have no idea.

We live in Texas and my husband is part of the medical staff at our school. His name was put on a list and was able to get the vaccine. A few days later, our county rolled out a registration portal for 65+ and those with pre-existing conditions. I registered and received an automated message 24 hours later to indicate that they had received my registration, but no further communication has occurred, so I have no idea what my status is. There really doesn’t seem to be much talk about it in our city, which is worrisome to me, although, I know we are still in the early stages of the vaccine roll out and the supply isn’t what it needs to be; however, it is hard not to think that the real issue is that there isn’t a plan in place for administering the vaccine on a large scale to community members. It feels like this is a hot potato issue that no one wants to own.

1 Like