Covid vaccination

Can anyone point me to studies/articles about post-vaccination transmission? Our immediate family will not be eligible for the vaccine until gen-pop, but our moms are both currently eligible and we’re working to get them appointments asap. Once they’re fully vaccinated, would they be able to still pass it on to us? Or would they be truly immune? A friend and I have been discussing this and we disagree on the likelihood of spread post vaccine.

Very unlikely, but there isn’t a study to confirm (yet). But assuming it works like any other vaccine, then they would NOT be able to pass it on. Any suggestion that you can pass it on after vaccination is precautionary.

There is a caveat to that, however. If you fall into the ~10% of those who receive the vaccine, but it doesn’t work (or fully work) then a vaccinated person could technically still catch it and then pass it on. In that case, it isn’t so much, then, that they are passing it along despite being vaccinated…it is more that the vaccine just didn’t work for them (which is expected in a certain percentage of cases).

2 Likes

Ok yes, that makes a lot of sense. If the vaccine works for you (90%), then you are immune and cannot pass it on. If the vaccine doesn’t fully work for you (10%), then you can still test positive and hopefully the vaccine gives you some sort of decreased symptoms/severity.

I’m so ready to not worry about this all the time (aren’t we all), and I feel like having our higher risk parents vaccinated will be the key component for us to loosen up a bit.

1 Like

This is a good article on the topic:

1 Like

I’m with you. Since I’m the person primarily responsible for my parents (meaning, they literally live around the corner), it has been annoying that all the family gatherings (birthdays and such) they can’t comfortably attend. They get their first shots on Friday, so we’re just a couple months away from being able to have them participate in family events…finally!

3 Likes

Got my first shot last week (high risk medical conditions). My parents, both over 75, got their first shot 2 weeks ago, and my wife with multiple auto-immune conditions also got her first shot 2 weeks ago. I feel incredibly lucky, though, as SO many people over 75 still haven’t been able to make appointments here in PA.
I’m pregnant and really excited at the potential for the baby to get some antibodies. My kids (5 and 9) have been in fully remote school since this started, and I have no idea when that will change. We did sign both kids up for in-person summer camp and I’m crossing all my fingers that it works out.

6 Likes

Nice to hear from you @zstrassburger :wave:t3:
Congratulations on your pregnancy. Sending you good wishes :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Here in Ontario and general population, we’re looking at August… allegedly.

Given that we’ve heard no word about when parents/-in laws will be vaccinated and it’s mid-February already, I don’t really expect to be vaccinated for quite awhile.

Today in MA they announced the next group of people are eligible for the vaccine starting tomorrow. Luckily my Dad is one of them. They said there’s about 1 million people in his category, so I imagine trying to get an appointment will be like trying to get a ROTR BG.

1 Like

And meanwhile here in Missouri it was announced that teachers will not have access to the vaccine until late Spring or even summer…SO frustrated with our state…

Still no teachers here either. It’s ridiculous

Maybe the end of next month. Of course I don’t know how we will cover classes for any teachers that will be lucky enough to get an appointment? Maybe cancel their in-person classes for that day and give everyone asynchronous work? Of course, we do have the capacity to vaccinate all of our staff (like we did for first responders) but that doesn’t look like an option.

I feel like by the time they vaccinate teaches it will be summer break …
Our school is participating in pooled testing over the next 5 weeks (paid by the state for 5 weeks only) in hopes to get us back to full time… but I think by the time they get this program up and running and get some adequate data it will be coming up on May, and by then what’s to point ?

1 Like

We have been back to full time in person school for a month now. We have zero social distancing in the classrooms, lunchrooms, hallways, buses, etc. Masks are worn at least, but I am not comfortable in my work environment at all. Being told that we won’t have access to vaccines for months still is beyond discouraging.

We decided against pooled testing since you would still have the double testing. We have rapid for symptomatic and will do PCR. Of course, parents must give us permission.

I don’t begin to understand the tough choices and the budget restraints our school system has to deal with, and why this type of testing was chosen. My only guess was they don’t expect a large amount of participation and we are a small district to begin with. We were told we need 75% participation rate to continue the program after the 5 weeks paid by MA. Otherwise it will be 5-8 thousand dollars a week to continue doing it.
I’d like it if they could at least try adding a third in person day, every other week for each cohort.

Right now Mondays are a full remote day and are basically a joke, because they end at 11 am and then my first grader has the equivalent of 10 minutes of asynchronous work for the rest of the day. I’d really like it if that could be a full day of learning , at least half of the time

I’m sorry that’s awful. I believe kids can go back safely if the right precautions are taken. Have you considered relocating to MA ? Plenty of jobs here and lots of precautions !!

`

I had my second Pfizer shot 3 weeks ago and little to no reaction to either; just a bit of arm soreness at the injection site and a little bit tired later that day. The DoD has it’s own distribution process. As only a very few members are 65 or older, they prioritize based on Command mission; when a Command is authorized, every member of that command is authorized. I work for a Navy medical Command, therefore we were pretty high up on the priority list. At 61, I don’t meet my state’s (FL) 65 year cut-off.

1 Like

I have a brother who is in the military. (Graduated from West Point, was a helicopter pilot for years, eventually left, but then later rejoined as part-time Air Force, but now is part of the National Guard? I guess. Confuses me!)

Anyhow, he got his shots pretty early on as a result as well. He said he felt a little guilty that he was getting vaccinated before my parents, but not really his decision!

The people we know who got the vaccine “first” happen to live in upscale gated communities in Florida.

1 Like