Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

I’m torn, because I think she really was trying to help in her own way. When she asked if I really understood that the risks are not that high, I told her I’m in healthcare and my DW is in public health, so yes, I have some idea about the risks. I think that got her feathers ruffled a bit :joy: That’s probably why she also did not offer up any help transferring that $200 to my 2022 reservation.

7 Likes

I’m stunned by how that CM treated you. Unprofessional is good start, but it went to the depths of being disgusting.

4 Likes

I like how in our community, we can vehemently disagree on Covid and still be happy to help each other out.

8 Likes

Did you write in pt2 of 7 nights at AKL in Oct? Could you make it work by modifying what you do so you don’t lose your money? Like eating outside, ordering to go and taking advantage of the 2bv, avoiding crowds at parks by going first and last thing and hanging by pool midday? Just ideas.

2 Likes

This just goes to show that it’s dangerous to be an 80yo. Reducing the mortality by such a large degree is impressive. But an 80-year-old can die from a common cold, so you shouldn’t expect the vaccine to be counterbalance the forces of nature.

8 Likes

Part 1 of my Edited highlights

So am I the only person that’s not the least bit worried about this?

It would never occur to me to be even slightly worried.

Yeah, I’m still not even slightly worried.

Look how fast governments have moved to contain this…and the reporting of the rate of spreading and risk of death helps to keep people willing to stay home, or be kept in isolation, etc. If they hadn’t been able to move so quickly, this could have grown into epidemic proportions, and the ultimate death toll would be growing significantly higher.

Time to cancel the Olympics? I do understand the impact cancelling would have on the athletes. But can the global community afford this level of exposure?

Wow. Video from an infectious disease doctor who visited the Diamond Princess. “I’ve worked in the Ebola epidemic, the SARS epidemic and I have never been so scared in my life.”

The question will be: when do we stop banning travel from other countries? At some point, it’s going to be Europe. We can’t ban the world.

I hope this subsides in the summer.

I’m guessing then that the next step would be working toward a vaccine, correct?

I’ve heard they are working on one that is in animal trials. Unclear how long till it would be ready for use in humans, but hopefully soon enough to have an impact.

Yes, they are already and apparently good progress but it still has to go through trials so minimum 18 months.

That sounds reasonable. But also is a long time for the virus to spread. Just wondering about our end of May trip to Universal… we will just have to wait and see how things progress.

We have a trip planned for May and are still planning on going.

Well, heck, people. I just listened to the (two-hour) report from the WHO mission to China. The upshot is, the authorities need to be on this like white on rice, and all of us need to start paying close attention and doing what the CDC etc. says in terms of hand washing, etc.

China’s reaction is also what worries me. Why would they quarantine millions of people, slam on the breaks of the economy, if it were “just the flu”? I don’t think the U.S. has ever enacted travel bans.

China let their problem get out of hand, and that’s why they reacted like they did. Same thing with Iran. That isn’t going to happen in any developed country with a decent government that cares about its people more than it cares about itself. If you live in a country with an elected government, if nothing else, they want to be sure they get *re-*elected!

I found myself throwing a few extra things in my Costco cart today, just in case we have an outbreak here and people start to panic buy.

Masks have been sold out for awhile. Amazon folks have marked up prices quite a bit. Key is hand wash and hand wash. Alcohol based hand sanitizer.

A Walt Disney spokesperson says they are monitoring several employees at the Florida theme park who recently traveled to Italy during the coronavirus outbreak.

We are headed to WDW and Universal the last week of March/first week of April. I’m not going to let this media hype keep us from a 10-day vacation. The odds are far greater that we will encounter more danger (driving to the airport, etc.) than getting this virus.

I am travelling May 9-16, hopefully things will be looking better by then.

Has anyone considered the upside? Vastly lower crowd levels. Perhaps?

Me? I’m not worried. I hope I get a great rate on a summer cruise. There’s zero chance I’d take a new vaccine for this or give one to my kids.

I know you’ll all be shocked, but my son flew home yesterday, with a connection in Denver, AND I DID NOT MAKE HIM WEAR A MASK. Which was good, because no one else did.

Why would you? Did he have symptoms of illness? (Coughing/sneezing?)

I have no plans to change or cancel my upcoming trips (June and October) to WDW.

People are pretty paranoid, with it being all over the news that we’re all going to die.

Has anyone ever seen such empty shelves at Costco?

I thought about taking pictures this morning at Costco but honestly I was shaken by my experience and I did not want it in pictures.

Most experts seem to think that 2% is the likely fatality rate. That would put it on par with the epidemic of 1918.

We’re going with Fred Olsen in July. We’re going to Norway - they have had cases there too but I haven’t heard about any issues for cruises.

These latest cruise issues are just more silliness.

By July governments will either forbid all cruise sails or they will have figured out that cruises are OK.

Forbid all cruises? This would be epic. Can you imagine?

I’m getting increasingly (and immensely selfishly) concerned that this is going to impact my June trip.

Our trip is in 2 weeks. I’ve gone from “no way I’m cancelling” to legitimately being on the fence and potentially having to eat a sizable financial loss.

We are going in May. I fully plan on going on our trip. There are so many illnesses that spread through traveling and I think it would be overkill to shut everything down for this virus.

15 Likes

I’m also wondering how much AZ plays into that vs if all the UK numbers were based on mRNAs.

Not trying to dis on AZ (or J&J). If the others hadn’t turned out so outstandingly efficacious, we would have been glad to have AZ. And it’s good to have a separate platform for those that it’s better for.

I’m just really a little surprised we aren’t getting more of this data split by performance of the different vaccines. NHS seems to have its data a lot more together than the US. Just ‘cause I like data slicing. But I’m guessing they want to prevent vaccine envy?

5 Likes

Me too. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

…or the definition of “snack”… :joy::joy::joy:

12 Likes

A third thread?!
:dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:

9 Likes

Nice highlights!!!

2 Likes

Part 2 of my Edited highlights

Florida’s response has been so irresponsible… Especially given how many tourists they have and their demographics… I really hope the warmer weather will help a bit because otherwise it is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Florida really has been a bit cavalier about all this- maybe the weather is what has allowed them to get away with what they (haven’t) done.

I’m starting to wonder about this shelter in place business. Is it for real or only for some?

They have cancelled all “non essential” surgeries.

Universal Orlando is now saying they will be closed through (at least) April 19th. I would assume Disney will be doing the same.

It looks like there was a decline in new cases both nationally and in NYS yesterday. It looks like there was a decline in new cases both nationally and in NYS yesterday. Of course, that’s only one day but at least it’s in the right direction. And since pts. with COVID19 are sick for quite a long time, the crush on parts of the healthcare system is not going to get better for a couple of weeks, at least. In fact, it’s going to get worse for a while, because new cases are still being added in greater numbers than the early cases are being cleared, right now. But I think we’re headed in the right direction. Hopefully. Maybe. With any luck.

I have to ask: is there any info that tells us the virus lives on paper?

WHO has warned against the use of paper money.

China burned a lot of their currency.

Nothing is going to be “fixed” until we an test basically everyone, as in S Korea. Don’t know when that will be even remotely possible here. Testing would allow for better targeting of quarantine, among other things. :unamused: I am in a mood today. sorry.

It’ll happen, because it has to happen. The world’s biggest economy can’t be allowed to grind to a halt because we don’t have enough test kits.

I think we’re all going to have these days and it’s absolutely ok to complain. What I’m trying not to do is wallow in it (and it’s becoming harder and harder!).

I just want to encourage anyone who is really feeling down and anxious or sad to hang on a few days. Hang on. :heart: It’s already a much better outlook just in the new tests and drug trials than what we were looking at 7-10 days ago.

I even confess I’m kind of enjoying this lock down … ok - I’m enjoying it a lot.

What are others doing in terms of trying to ensure that fresh berries are safe to eat (in terms of potential Covid-19 contamination)?

more to follow …

12 Likes

So tired of all this Bullpoopie

4 Likes

IN FRICKING DEED

1 Like

The new guidance is posted…reading now…I still haven’t listened to audio…

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

2 Likes

#ppehap, yup, that was us. Thanks for the ideas! But we’d pretty much already planned to eat only outside, get a car to avoid busses, etc. If Disney still had distancing, and indoor masks, and the Florida numbers weren’t so awful, maybe. But we’ve been on the wrong side of 1 in 2,000 medical odds before, so it kind of changes your perception about how safe those numbers feel. But at least that time we knew there was nothing we could have done to change it. Plus we know two people struggling badly with long-haul aftereffects. Still haven’t pushed the cancel button, though - things change so fast, 2 1/2 months away still feels like a long time.

6 Likes

mousematt, really interesting to read those. To show you how off I was back then - in March, 2020, I was flying home from Asia. I changed my flight to go the long way around, to avoid connecting through Seoul, because they’d had 40 new cases the week before. Yup, a whopping forty. And so I ended up going through Amsterdam, and flying home on a plane that was full of kids getting sent home from Italy study abroad. Was probably in way more danger on that flight than I would have been in Seoul.

7 Likes

I had a very similar thought when I saw you weren’t able to apply it.

1 Like

Anthony Fauci was on Chris Hayes (MSNBC) this evening and explained the data behind the new CDC Guidance.

Dr. Walensky is coming up soon on Rachel Maddow.

2 Likes

I say we reserve Part 3 of the Covid thread exclusively for @sanstitre_has_left_the_building to summarize parts 1 and 2. Then we can start fresh in Part 4. :rofl:

16 Likes