Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 4

I really expected things to start hopping after Christmas break but it’s been quiet. In fact, we’ve averaged more kids on campus regularly so far than last semester.

4 Likes

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-announces-evusheld-not-currently-authorized-emergency-use-us

We are moving backwards in available treatments. The CDC put out this: :roll_eyes:
Yeah, not much groundbreaking there.

There are also concerns about whether we should even be using molnupiravir.

https://twitter.com/theosanderson/status/1619020680313573378?s=46&t=qlIqTB4naPVHFNq8lCb8_g

This is one of the study’s authors. He’s a huge name in the field (i.e., if the study was from anyone else, he’s one that everyone would be looking to for his take on it).

3 Likes

Are you still reading Twitter? I realized this morning that I don’t think I can do that ever again.

4 Likes

You can curate your feed to avoid all the ugly that Twitter is morphing into (I have only read about the ugly and have never actually seen any of it). There are still many scientists posting good information about covid.

6 Likes

It is still the best place to get current Covid info. :woman_shrugging:

I just curate who I follow. (Use the “Following” tab at the top of my feed rather than the default “For You”.)

Multiple takes on any breaking developments, directly from leading people in their fields.

The media outlets reporting is way too dependent on the individual reporters…their personal biases, level of knowledge, etc. (I read so many articles that include bits I know to be outdated or inaccurate that it makes me question the value of anything in the article. I mainly use them as a jumping off point to see what MedTwitter is saying on the topic.)

Several people I follow are making backup plans (mainly Mastodon) but few are leaving completely.

The most challenging bit is there are certain people that I think have particularly bad takes on everything Covid. It’s interesting to follow them to see where their heads are at, but their followers have so harassed some of the people that are highly worth following, there are now tools to block everyone that follows someone specific. The people I value are feeling it necessary to use those blocking tools, and I’m concerned I’ll get caught up in one of those and not see those I really want to see.

5 Likes

This is worth a repost. My edited highlights of comments made in the very first thread in the early months of 2020.

2 Likes

I spy me! Crazy to read our thoughts back then when we know how it turns out. So far, anyway.

2 Likes

This morning is was a RT from a scientist that I have followed for years. There was a purpose for the RT, but I can’t read that any more.

1 Like

There were some voicing significant concerns about molnupiravir before it was approved. I was surprised molnupiravir was approved once Paxlovid emerged.

2 Likes

The FDA has been pulling ER use of certain treatments b/c of their lack of efficacy w/ current variants. Paxlovid is one of a few that are maintaining their efficacy.

1 Like

I understand. Everyday it seems like my feed is changing and it’s frustrating b/c I follow a lot of artists and I dislike having to hunt for their posts.

There are enough people that legitimately can’t take Paxlovid.

But, my gut feel is molnupiravir has been overused when Paxlovid was a better option.

For instance, if it increases rebound, it’s not by much and those cases are still not ending up in the hospital. Everything I read is that it is extremely rare for anyone taking Paxlovid to end up in the hospital, and many, many hospitalized cases were eligible for it. So rebound concerns is not a legitimate reason.

There are many medications that are a potential interaction concern, but for a lot of them, the FDA has provided a work around to still allow Paxlovid to be the preferred option, but doctors are still jumping to molnupiravir instead.

This is such a mess.

4 Likes

I know you at one point posted a list of medications that didn’t allow Paxlovid to be subscribed- now I think I can take it if I stop my medication for a period of time. I really don’t know how I feel about that.

3 Likes

This is the current list. There is one group that another Covid treatment should be used, but the majority have various management strategies outlined.

I’d ask my healthcare provider what the expected/likely/possible consequences are of the management strategy listed for yours. There is some data suggesting Paxlovid may reduce the risk of Long Covid as well, so that may tip the risk scales as well. (Unfortunately, those studies just can’t keep up with how fast Covid is mutating to have reliable numbers given how nebulous Long Covid still is.)

But too many are dismissing Paxlovid or jumping to molnupiravir without actually putting some thought into which is the best course. Looks like Paxlovid is about 90% effective is preventing hospitalizations, whereas molnupiravir is only about 30%:
https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/covid-19/covid-19-pill-paxlovid-molnupiravir

3 Likes

Is that list for the UK? I still see my meds listed on other interactions concern (liver damage ) but I don’t see it here.

It’s from the NIH :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Do they usually include links to UK and Toronto resources?

I looked again and see that med I take here, it says here I have to stop my med.

There’s been a huge uptick in international collaboration due to the pandemic, I think. Trying to lean on trusted partners instead of having to invent a US specific wheel for everything. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

ETA:

5 Likes

My kids have had all the boosters and sailed through COVID. It really was a cold for them. My son’s most hasn’t stopped running since Thanksgiving so if O hadn’t tested I wouldn’t have known.

2 Likes