Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

Basically, if you have “Cancel for any reason,” insurance prior to about Jan. 22-Feb., 3, you’re covered. Most other trip insurance has exclusions for epidemics. Anything bought since then (even “Cancel For Any Reason” policies) will not cover it, as it has been a known risk for a few weeks now.

I have had MedJet medical evacuation insurance for years, and even they sent a notice around that they won’t cover anything from China. I’ve never had that kind of warning before. They’ll usually pick you up from anywhere in the world, that’s their main selling point.

2 Likes

I have AAA. I’ll have to revisit my policy. :frowning:

1 Like

What kind of trip are you planning? It may be that your best bet is just to hang on and see if the airline/company/hotel/cruise line cancels. Then, they’ll have to either refund you or give you a voucher for a future trip.

For instance, most American airlines canceled their flights to China. If a passenger canceled their trip to China the day before that, it’s likely they had to pay for the privilege. If they waited until the airlines canceled, they probably got a refund or voucher for future travel.

2 Likes

Ours is a DCL cruise. It’s in the Caribbean, so we’re low risk, but like you mentioned, it’s good to know your policy.

2 Likes

I’m just here to rant. I think what Carnival did was irresponsible. (Princess and HAL are both owned by Carnival) Many companies immediately stopped all cruises to Mainland China and Hong Kong. I might be mistaken about this but I think RCL may have sailed empty while making sure no crew was infected. I never read that specifically, but on an RCL Facebook group there was a post from a crew member who wrote that the crew was sailing without passengers, but were enjoying the amenities including shows. I didn’t see mention was made of Coronavirus or quarantine. I just extrapolated based on timing and location.

What I do know is that while everyone else was listening to the who Carnival said, “Eh. Prevention is silly and inconvenient. Let’s roll the dice.”

I don’t know if this applies to the Diamond Princess who may have already been infected when precautionary measures were recommended, but the Westerdam definitely should have canceled.

2 Likes

I think the Diamond Princess embarked on Jan. 20th, and the index case passenger got off in HK on the 25th. He even said they screened him with a thermometer when he disembarked and he passed the test. So during those few days is when the word started to go out about the extent of the problem. Very bad timing for them.

I agree with you that the Westerham shouldn’t have sailed, and the irony is, they have no cases. They’re victims of pure hysteria. I guess they’re docking in Cambodia today, thank goodness.

The thing is, a case could pop up on ANY ship going forward- there’s the example of that UK traveler who attended a meeting in Singapore, spent a week in the Alps, then went home. Infecting people all the way. Folks get around these days- what if he’d gone on a Caribbean cruise instead of a ski vacation?:thinking:

2 Likes

I see it differently, though I’m not arguing. I don’t hold anything against Carnival/(Princess) here. This group boarded just days before the crazy started. I’ve be regularly monitoring what’s going on with these three ships (RCCL had some concerns last week that are now resolved) and I think so much has been out of their hands and that they are doing what they can given the circumstances. My heart breaks for the pax and crew, but I also sympathize with the execs as they navigate this complex and unprecedented situation. The company has shareholders and customers, not to mention ports that depend on the pax. Cancelling is last resort that is clearly indicated NOW, but wouldn’t have been on 1/19…

4 Likes

I would absolutely know my policy, but I wouldn’t hesitate to travel to the caribbean right now. Esp on DCL. Even a cruise to nowhere would be sublime!

2 Likes

Have you heard of any cruises being canceled? If so, are they all in Asia?

Many cancelled or rerouted.
Let me see if I can find the link.

1 Like

Here’s a link to today’s list of what each line is doing. Vaccines, Masks and Testing: What Cruise Lines Require Now (2022) I rely on Cruise Critic for a lot of cruising info. Yes, most of the cancellations and changes are around Asia and South Pacific.

2 Likes

Watch the news tonight, and maybe hold off on cruise plans. :anguished:
China is finally starting to catch up on their stats, and it ain’t pretty.

I respect that. (Not arguing either.)

I’m not even sure that I’m very well informed. My entire feeling about this comes from this article. Coronavirus: Celebrity, Holland America Line and Seabourn Cruises Refuse to Cancel or Refund Cruises to China | Cruise Law News

It’s pretty damning, but it’s not strong on background or information.

1 Like

Any recommended links?

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-death-toll-infections-outbreak-evacuations-cruise-ship-latest-updates-2020-02-12/

Plus 46 more on the cruise ship, bringing the total to 208.

They are allowing some off the ship to wait out their quarantines on land. But there are restrictions to food and then The Who-knows factor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mjswhitebread

1 Like

I’d stay on the ship.

Well, this is what puzzles me. What quarantine? If people are still getting sick, and the Japanese authorities don’t know how, what makes them think there’s even been a quarantine? Calling it one does not make it so. These poor folks could have been exposed yesterday for all they know.

I mean, if the quarantine was actually working, they’d all stay on the ship, n’est pas? :thinking:

1 Like

From what I’ve read, it’s unclear whether the people now being diagnosed have gotten sick during the quarantine or just had longer incubation periods. Either way, it’s ridiculous to assume the quarantine is working- get those poor people off the ship!

1 Like

HK Disneyland to Lend Vacant Sites for Quarantine