Nervous Nancy here

We are booked for April 10-14. When traveling to WDW before during spring break times there have typically tons of international visitors. It seems like the CONVID-19 has popped up all over the world. I’m wondering at what point would Disney invoke some sort of screening process. Is it too late to cancel at this point? Are any of y’all concerned about this? I feel like cancelling would be overreacting, but the more I learn, the more concerned I am.

Whole thread on peoples feelings here:

1 Like

You can cancel until around 3/10 (perhaps 3/9 or 3/11 - whatever is 30 days ahead) without penalty if you have a package booked. And if you have a room-only reservation you can cancel up to 5 days in advance without penalty

1 Like

Also, unless they shut we are going (4/24).

May as well die doing what we love?

11 Likes

We are booked April 14-28th. So far we are NOT cancelling anything. The virus if not contained will be all over everywhere. You generally can cancel your trip up to 5 days before arrival. I don’t think you will see a screening process at WDW in the near future because really what good would it do and it sure would not help their business any. So far there is very few that are infected in the US compared to the size of the population. The risk is there but where isn’t it. You go to a grocery store or mall and you take that risk. Just looked up masks and find there of little protection. Same old story wash your hands and isn’t that the common remedy. Just don’t think there is much you can do no matter where you are.

3 Likes

We are going in May. Not worried about it and not cancelling.

2 Likes

We’ll be there end of March/beginning of April.

Mildly concerned in that we don’t want anyone of us to be sick when we are on vacation, but not planning to cancel. (kind of hoping it keeps everyone away and helps with the madhouse that is HS right now)

3 Likes

I think Coronavirus is a real risk.
You are justified in your fears amiga, and you are not alone.
The terrifying part is that you can get it at a grocery store, at school, at work, at the movies…
So why worry?
Take every precaution but don’t stop living.

10 Likes

I agree. It does worry me but if it becomes a pandemic it’s going to be everywhere so unless you live as a hermit for the next 18 months or however long it could last you may as well live your life. Yes, there’s a good chance you’ll get it though.

1 Like

That terrifies me. :grimacing:

Sorry. A Harvard scientist said that. 40-70% chance but that’s my point may as well go on vacation.

1 Like

It’s not serious for the vast majority of people. Unless you have immune system issues or preexisting lung problems…it’s likely not worse than a bad cold.

5 Likes

I’ve read it’s more like the flu actually and 80% of cases are mild but 20% are severe but yes, the major are elderly or had conditions. The majority of deaths in Italy were elderly, a cancer pa and someone who had a heart attack a week earlier.

1 Like

Just saw on the local news, the people at risk are those with underlying health conditions. And the majority of people that have died were older men, all with underlying health conditions. I am not cancelling and not stressing about it, we try to do everything we can when on vacation to avoid being sick in general anyway.

1 Like

If anyone wants to follow the statistics out of Italy, they might be the best so far in looking at everyone who has the virus. They do contact tracing over there, meaning they really are trying to find every single case, not just the sick ones. I don’t know how well they’ve succeeded at that, though. The data is updated daily, and is pinned at the top of the twitter page.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gimbe?lang=en

Hopefully, they’ll soon be able to look and see the ages & relative health of everyone, but this seems to be a good start.

2 Likes

For what’s it’s worth - kids are not getting this. And it’s not fatal to healthy people under 60. Typically respiratory viruses go away in Spring and resurface in late Fall. No one knows if this will fall into that pattern, but we can hope! I say go for it…

1 Like

We are treating it like any flu season. We make sure our kids practice good hygiene habits, regular hand washing, have plenty of healthy foods, and a good night’s sleep. I figure once it arrives over here they are just as likely to get it at school than anywhere else we take them.

3 Likes

I live in a rural county that had our only hospital close two years ago. 6000 people over 65, 0 hospital beds. Definitely don’t want to be bringing it back home, but I’d rather be quarantined at Disney than just out of luck like I would be here

1 Like

We’re in a rural area as well. Still have a shell of a hospital, but only “real” hospital is 2 hours away. Most people here do not have adequate insurance, and most jobs are minimum wage with no paid sick leave–we’re only as safe as they are. We, too, have a huge retirement population. Our 20 year old son has severe autism and is non-verbal. He eats 3 foods–I’m terrified that goods and services will be disrupted and we’ll have trouble getting those 3 foods :/. It is very stressful.

We will be in WDW April 10-17. We are still going ahead with our trip. I know we will need to be extra vigilant while there but we usually bring Lysol wipes with us for wiping tables in the parks and we always wash/sanitize our hands. Of course, those things will not do much if someone sneezes or coughs on us but I just don’t think we can live in complete fear.

5 Likes