Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

Any recommended links?

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-death-toll-infections-outbreak-evacuations-cruise-ship-latest-updates-2020-02-12/

Plus 46 more on the cruise ship, bringing the total to 208.

They are allowing some off the ship to wait out their quarantines on land. But there are restrictions to food and then The Who-knows factor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mjswhitebread

1 Like

I’d stay on the ship.

Well, this is what puzzles me. What quarantine? If people are still getting sick, and the Japanese authorities don’t know how, what makes them think there’s even been a quarantine? Calling it one does not make it so. These poor folks could have been exposed yesterday for all they know.

I mean, if the quarantine was actually working, they’d all stay on the ship, n’est pas? :thinking:

1 Like

From what I’ve read, it’s unclear whether the people now being diagnosed have gotten sick during the quarantine or just had longer incubation periods. Either way, it’s ridiculous to assume the quarantine is working- get those poor people off the ship!

1 Like

HK Disneyland to Lend Vacant Sites for Quarantine

Good news for the Americans aboard?

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1228518488060366848?s=21

1 Like

Well, I think your question mark there is warranted. I read the communique from the CDC and they go into quarantine for another 2 weeks back here. I know some had thought they’d just stay on the ship, finish the quarantine there and then come home.

But that isn’t an option. If they don’t go back now, they don’t go back at all. So really a mixed bag for them.

1 Like

The purpose of quarantine is to not spread the virus to others who are not on the cruise ship. It’s the same principle as keeping people in Wuhan in Wuhan: so they won’t spread it beyond Wuhan. The basic principle of quarantine is that if you’re already in the exposed area that’s too bad for you, you can’t get out and spread it, even if you would be safer if you left. (I am not a medical professional, but this has always been my understanding.)

1 Like

Yes, you’re right, but also a quarantine is to keep the exposed person safe while they’re waiting it out. So this directive from the CDC implies that they think the ship quarantine was an utter failure. They’re treating the passengers like citizens who were in Wuhan.

2 Likes

1.) Get pax off ship(s)
2.) Get them to their own countries and sit it out another two weeks (yes, yes, this will be miserable, but I think prudent)

I think the quarantine was as big a failure as it was because there was literally no precedent. Japan’s best defense for their country was - keep the pax on the ship. Who could have known? They had so little reliable data. They were shooting from the hip, as was the cruise line. The fact that none of the pax has died is a good thing. But just how long can the ship just float full of people? How long can they afford this? It really has been devastating on so many levels.

1 Like

Japan is already in trouble. They have some evidence of community transmission (that means cases are not just ppl who are connected to China, but Japanese where it’s not known how they got it) so pretty soon they might need the hospital beds for their own folks. Asking them to take on thousands more that are not even their own is too much.

Not going to answer that. Nope, not going to. :smile:

1 Like

Especially with the Olympics coming up this summer. Preliminary events are already ramping up and if the epidemic is still uncertain or growing it could have unknown ramifications.

1 Like

Time to cancel? I do understand the impact cancelling the Olympics would have on the athletes. But can the global community afford this level of exposure?

2 Likes

Oh dear, I had forgotten about that. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Even if the events are all outdoors, the other venues are going to be so crowded. Do you know if there are advance teams, or other people who come in ahead of time to get things ready for each country’s athletes? Are there already a larger-than-usual contingent of visitors there?

We just really are into an unprecedented situation here. But I have a feeling we’ll get clarity before the ticket-holders show up. The community transmission they have there is actually an outbreak at a hospital, two doctors are affected at least, and no one knows where they got it, or how many patients are affected. Just the worst. So they’re going to have to start preparing for widespread transmission.

Times like this I like that our country is very big with lots of empty spaces. Being on a tiny island during this with millions of others would probably give me continual panic attacks.

2 Likes

Wait and see. They are hoping this dies off in the warm weather like SARS and the flu but if it doesn’t they must consider it. They could give it to another city who recently hosted and would be ready like London or Rio.

2 Likes

Statement By the State Dept. & HHS Regarding the Diamond Princess

1 Like

I’m kind of impressed we have a plane with an isolation chamber in it. That’s like something out of Tom Clancy or John LeCarre novel.

2 Likes

It’s really just a really big guy named Eugene who crosses his arms and stands in the aisle giving the stink eye to any infected person who tries to leave their seat.

5 Likes