Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

Well, rest easy knowing there are people out there who worry about this so you don’t have to, :wink:

During the Ebola panic it was interesting when people found out a hospital in our state was one of the few places in the US qualified to take patients. But Rocky Mountain National Lab is just over the mountains from my house. It’s a Level 4 pathogen facility and it’s out in the middle of nowhere for a reason. If someone gets sick there, they have to go somewhere. Sometimes it really is better not to think too hard about it.

1 Like

Yup. And I attempt to be understanding that everyone has their own circumstances that I don’t know about, stuff happens to everyone that is out of their control, but but being hyper aware of the consequences will drive you crazy.

3 Likes

Well, this is interesting. The first instance I’m aware of where trip insurance declined to cover a cancellation. I wonder what it takes, then:

Got a flu shot yesterday. Today I’m doing my civic duty. People keep coughing on me. This is what’s wrong with our justice system!

4 Likes

And - I’ve gotten three amazing offers from
Princess cruise line in the last 36 hours. I’m directly correlating it to this:

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/princess-cruises-confirms-10-more-cases-coronavirus-quarantined-ship

3 Likes

Hah!

Well, we’re going to get a lot more info about attack rates and case/fatality ratios, with a population size of about 4000…

I’m shocked they they’re all staying aboard. I’ve seen infection rates for coronavirus being comparable to norovirus, which we know can quickly spread through ships, usually infecting hundreds before they get off the boat. These folks aren’t getting off the boat.

But I guess Japan has no where to put them.

1 Like

I’m not an authority but the cruise critic forums keep reporting the ship is subject to Japanese instruction. I’m kinda scared for them. There are posts on Facebook (I resurrected an old account) from some passengers. It’s pretty unpleasant. They are having random meals delivered to staterooms and the Passengers in interior rooms were allowed 90 minutes on deck today for fresh air. It sounds like 1920, not 2020!!!

1 Like

Or maybe 1984

3 Likes

Yes, I’m definitely afraid for them, too. And it seems the average age of the passengers is probably higher than the regular population, so that’s another concern.

Well… yeah.
Dysinformation is definitely out there. For sure on the Chinese side. Official case numbers and fatalities make no sense compared to what’s happening on the ground.

1 Like

Yes. Though there are reports of families.
These are most likely very avid travelers. A cruise in Asia is pricey and not entry level. Yet all the insurance in the world isn’t helpful right now. This is unprecedented as far as I can tell.

1 Like

I should clarify what I said. The gentleman doing video reporting from his cabin is not at all unpleasant. But he is describing a rather unpleasant experience. His attitude is outstanding.

5 Likes

I’ve become a total Coronavirus nerd in the last 24 hours. Once I heard a cruise ship was involved. And the Cruise message boards are insightful like this one is for WDW.

4 Likes

I’ve only been on one overnight cruise, Copenhagen to Oslo, it was great because it was in November and at about 10% of capacity. And really did enjoy going to bed and waking up in another country. So we’ve been thinking about it more.

But I’ve always said to DH that I wasn’t ever going on one unless it was small enough I could jump overboard. :smile:

There’s been a recent norovirus outbreak. They ended the cruise and evacuated the ship. The one comparison I’ve seen between the two illnesses states coronavirus is about as infectious, perhaps slightly more so.

As long as those folks are on the ship, they are in danger. Not evacuating a cruise ship in the face of an epidemic is unprecedented, and I’m afraid of the outcome.

Edit: 41 more passengers tested positive today, for a total of 61. It started out with 10.

From the articles I have read, it is unclear if all of the passengers and crew were tested at the same time and if all the results came back at the same time. The specimens have to go to a special lab for testing. That takes days.

Yes. Keeping them on board is very hard to understand.

1 Like

That’s true- and I doubt very much that they have 4000 test kits. They’re probably just testing symptomatic ones at this time. Still, the fact that this supposedly originated with one person (we think) who got off the ship nearly two weeks ago is worrisome.

The Coronavirus is very unsettling. So much is unknown. Remember all those people who are sick and quarantined.

I not sure we know these two points either.

The incubation period is up to 14 days.

We are learning about the Coronavirus day by day. I remember being shocked by the original story of the asymptomatic Chinese lady passing on the Coronavirus to her German colleagues. Later, it was corrected because the authors never asked her. She had symptoms masked by medications. Unfortunately, some people are still holding on to the original report that people can pass on the virus while being asymptomatic.

I don’t think the Patient Zero on this cruise was asymptomatic ( I personally think that “asymptomatic transmission” theory might be a CCP-invented excuse for why this entire epidemic got out of hand). He could be a super-spreader, or there could even be second generation infections already. The incubation period seems to be shaking out to be about 5-6 days- the range I heard this morning on a JAMA podcast was 3-10, I believe.

And there could be more than one Patient Zero. But I think that the most likely explanation is simply that this is a cruise ship, and infections spread much more quickly due to the confined spaces. Hence, it would be best to get everyone off the ship.

1 Like

Does My Travel Insurance Cover Coronavirus? Read The Fine Print.

1 Like

Can’t get article. What’s the gist of it?