Copy/Paste: G+ pricing changes

September 3rd. That’s it. Just that one date, so that they can claim the price point! :wink:

6 Likes

I still think they would make more money just making every ride a tiered price for $ILL and eliminate the G+ purchase altogether. Average the number of rides a person uses now and divide your target profit by that. Maybe it’s only $2-5 a ride on most rides.

They really want micro transactions pay to win like an app. Right now it’s just more steps and still producing bad customer sentiment.

3 Likes

One additional advantage to that model is that someone could sort of plan out their day better by buying ILLS for the rides they really want at times that work best for them. There would still be the 7 am rush, though, and not sure their system could handle everyone trying to book multiple rides all at the same time. But let’s pretend their IT COULD handle it, for the sake of argument.

1 Like

I’m not sure how that’s any different than the current system they just also have to tally up your purchases and charge you at the end of the day. Or you have to buy your Disney bucks ahead of time and it would cut you off when you are out of credits. Ironically this would be closer to the original tiered ticket system. Many rides had additional charges when first opened in Disneyland.

1 Like

This is how WDW was when it first opened, as well, actually.

3 Likes

Ironically this was basically my thesis about a year ago,

2 Likes

I actually think less people would purchase. It seems worse a la carte like that.

4 Likes

Or maybe they just have no clue how anxiety provoking financial uncertainty is. And that +/- $2 per perso. For a family of 4 over 6 days is enough money to trigger this.

PS - love the new profile picture. It is ver distinguished and I keep thinking it looks like a newspaper opinion colmnist :joy:

5 Likes

That’s not exactly what I was going for but…thanks! :wink:

(ETA: Although…I am rather opinionated!)

5 Likes

Candy Crush $1.2b Sales say differently. Genie is earning $500-900m for comparison.

1 Like

That’s a good point…although, you don’t have to FIRST pay $5000 just to download the game before you start buying those $2 add-ons.

4 Likes

I agree, I think the main issue my proposal is to tackle is Sentiment, it feels good to tap the turnstile 2-3 times and walk past people even if it ends up being an extra $15-20 on your bill at the end of the day. Only getting 2-3 G+ LL after paying $20 feels bad when you go home thinking you should have tried to get more.

I think the main idea is what do most consumers react more positively to, getting your positive reinforcement for your $ immediately, or having delayed return. It’s basically the marshmallow test. I think most adults and kids are now trained to look for instant gratification and react more positively to that.

Also this is a great discussion on the topic IMHO, Liners are biased especially are in the later category who would rather wait on their marshmallow and get 2 vs 1. I don’t think that’s most people.

3 Likes

There was just an article in the newspaper here about a local company making and selling high end light sabers… I was kind of amazed at how expensive some of them are!

Possibly.

Or they don’t care because they think the change will have a positive impact on Disney’s bottom line because regardless of how people feel about this change, the crowds will still be there.

Or they think it will push more people to skip G+ and the benefit of less G+ purchases will improve the guest satisfaction of those who purchase G+ (more LL rides per person).

This is unlikely. Your former option is more likely.

G+ has pretty inelastic demand (although nothing is perfectly inelastic, I would bet on a crowded day, G+ is close). And raising the price by a few dollars is not likely to change the quantity demanded (maybe if they raised the price by $100 it would, but $2-$8/per day - unlikely). So, its just a revenue move. People who were prepared to pay $62/ day for a family of 4 will, more likely than not, just hand over $86 instead. There will be a few families who will balk at that increase, but probably not enough to change the demand.

And, of course, the most expensive days, will be the most crowded days, which makes more people unlikely to balk at the price increases, because the alternative is 60-90 minute waits for everything. and 100+ minutes for the super-headliners.

3 Likes

I think it will deter a few but not a lot. Judging by todays return times it hasn’t changed. It’s pretty awful.

1 Like

Ugh… not surprising but disappointing nonetheless. It makes business sense to charge as much as the market will bear, but it feels icky when that market is tied in with kids’ hopes and dreams.

7 Likes

And also mine.
Don’t forget about mine

7 Likes

As we’ve seen today, they’ve already jumped to close to the October (slow season) top price for a predicted CL 6… the actual waits seem to bear that out so it’s not like they know something we don’t about today’s crowds. If they’re already planning to charge $5 more for a medium CL, I wouldn’t be surprised to see another $10 tacked on for the very busiest days (i.e. Thanksgiving/Friday, Christmas eve/day, NYE/day), because we know that while those are CL 10, that top level CL can have a lot of variability.

The not publishing prices in advance doesn’t surprise me, though if they’re trying to get fewer people to use LL it’s not working so far, at the $20 price point. Today’s predicted CL at MK is 9 and the LL for headliners went faster than they did on Sunday (when G+ still cost $15), which was also a CL 9. ILL for 7DMT were nearly identical both days.

2 Likes

I mean technically it was $15 on oct 10 so it’s not a lie, just not the sort of obfuscating that gives you Magical Feelings.

3 Likes