Check in: How are all my June 22 people doing?

Basic UAT would have discovered the holding multiple tickets defect. I get that they rushed this out but it would appear common sense/basic testing wasn’t done prior to deployment and you are right, we became the testers. I wish they would pay me for the 14 hours I spent testing the system for them lol

2 Likes

Excellent point.

Sometimes I think us WDW fanatics are our own worst enemy.

Everyone jumped on the system on Monday morning in a mad dash to get their park reservations afraid that they would be locked out and their plans ruined.

As of 8:45 EDT June 24, 2020, the WDW park reservation calendar shows that reservations are available for resort guests for the next 443 days and that only five of those days have any limitations. You can get onto the system and make park reservations in just a few minutes.

AK is not available on July 14 and HS is not available on four days, July 15-18.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/availability-calendar/?segments=resort,passholder,tickets&defaultSegment=resort

Reading some of the complex scenarios that some folks have with split stays, DVC points, multiple reservations and guests, various combinations of ticket packages, and AP’s I think that planning the Normandy invasion might have been easier. Trying to create a system to wade through literally millions of reservations that works with 100% accuracy immediately is impossible.

It really would have been better if WDW could have limited the number of guests accessing this system from the start, but it looks like in 48 hours they have been able to get park reservations for millions of guests.

Now who wants to talk about their state DMV?

3 Likes

They’ll pay you. In pixie dust. :wink:

Let’s be fair.

All they did was modify the FPP system to choosing parks, not attractions. That doesn’t seem such an impressive feat.

All that saved them was the front-end changes. Back-end changes would still be extensive, especially since they completely changed who gets to do what when, etc. And the database itself would need to be modified, and existing data safely migrated…plus, provide a secondary interface for CMs to use when something went wrong.

You’re right that it wasn’t a complete system rewrite…but I can tell you that what they did was NOT easy in the short time they had to get it done.

2 Likes

SO glad I have no plans to go back - at least anytime soon. A WDW trip has never been “easy”, but this BS makes it just “too hard”.

2 Likes

So glad to hear! Hooray for IT!

I worked for the e-commerce department of a major cosmetic company in 2010 and we relaunched the website. It was a nightmare and there were so many bugs to fix. I remember sleeping in my cubicle for a couple of nights. And when I think about the FRACTION of people visiting the site I worked on vs. Disney’s site on Monday… you’re absolutely right. Hugs to Disney. :slight_smile:

I don’t feel very huggy toward them right now :wink:

Give me a while.

1 Like

I don’t blame you at all! Hence the love fest comment! Honestly, it doesn’t matter if they had everything perfect for everyone out there other than you, because it doesn’t diminish the frustration you might feel!

I just figured it was worth acknowledging what they did right amid all they did wrong.

That’s very nice of you, for sure. :slight_smile:

Admittedly, I’m in a good place right now. We have our resort reservations, our park reservations, our ADRs for the first trip, our hotel/travel reservations, and we are potentially looking at some of the lowest crowds at the parks ever.

I wouldn’t have been so nice not too many days ago! :wink:

1 Like

I’m feeling strangely optimistic at the moment as well, so I’m going to hang onto those huggy feelings for now. @OBNurseNH I know you’ll get back to it soon. We’ll probably switch places tomorrow.

As of right now, I can book a brand new package including tickets for 2021, but cannot add park tickets to my existing resort reservation for 2021. So, that’s backwards.

2 Likes

And to quote my 8 year old…unfair!!!

2 Likes

Before we get too sympathetic toward Disney, take a look at their response to the maelstrom they unleashed on their valued guests:

The CMs are mostly fantastic but corporate Disney…

Oh no! Your TA can’t add tickets yet? I haven’t talked to my TA today, but we spoke yesterday. I thought new sales for 2021 is the 28th? This is all messed up!

Glad to hear others issues have been resolved, mostly.

Oh so Monday didn’t happen and what we all spent the day talking about here is just fake news.

Got it.

Someone from their PR department best have been canned over that BS statement

2 Likes

Ah, well… there goes any ounce of warm fuzzies I may have been feeling. What kind of propaganda is this?

1 Like

I am tempted to send a detailed email on how I spent my last two days to Disney, or better yet if I can find them to Josh D’Amaro’s or Bob Chapeks email address.

Josh D’Amaro would be good

Chapek won’t care as miuch.