Celebrating 20 yEARS: A DLR Anniversary Trip

The time is now, on an evening very much like the one we have just witnessed.

Wait.

SORRY! Wrong coast! Scratch that!

This is a WEST COAST trip report, from an essentially first timer who is bound to make some rookie mistakes (because in DLR I’m a rookie for sure!) and discover new loves while celebrating a long love.

DH (51) and I (47) are heading off today to celebrate our TWENTIETH year of marriage! Good gravy, y’all, where does the time go?? It’s true what they say: the days are long but the years are short. We’ve experienced all the highs and lows that come with being married for this long and we absolutely deserve this time alone together to celebrate!

We’ll be boarding in about 45 minutes and leaving in about 90, and we expect to land at 12:20 Cali time. This will be DH’s longest flight ever, and my longest in well over a decade. If you’ve been following my Marvel Cinematic Universe thread you know that we’ll spend some of that time watching Avengers: Endgame. I’ve been warned and my multiple packs o’ tissues are at the ready.

We’re staying at the Grand Californian Hotel & Spa (because I told him we are going big or staying home) and have a Downtown Disney view. We have 4 day park hopper tickets and will be spending time each day in both parks; I can’t wait to get my head wrapped around just how easy this will be as compared to park hopping at WDW. We have dinners planned at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen on Friday night, and Napa Rose on Saturday night. We have plans to visit Trader Sams one afternoon for libations, and to hit up Oga’s at a near-park-close reservation time. We’ll take in the Christmas stuff, including the parade and fireworks!, and make a pointed effort to explore all of the attractions we don’t have on the east coast, and those that are duplicated on each coast so as to compare/contrast (and find a fave).

I plan to post in large chunks. As this is, again, our first opportunity to be alone together for any extended amount of time in 3 years, I will be trying to avoid face-in-phone and really take this time to reconnect and enjoy being “us”. But, I WILL post so please do watch this space. There may be an occasional live post, morning/midday/end-of-day comprehensive summaries, and loads of photos. Please feel free to follow me on Insta as well ( mouseonthemind_with_jennifer ) as I’ll be updating that regularly too in a less verbose manner.

I can’t wait for this trip to unfold! I hope you’ll follow along and participate!! You west coasties especially since I’ll lean on your expertise regularly I’m sure :wink:

'Kay, gotta scram for now. Have a great Thursday! Mwah, also, too!

48 Likes

Happiest of Anniversaries to you both!! Have a safe flight and enjoy your trip!

5 Likes

Happy Anniversary! It’s so nice that you can have a couple’s trip. :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Happy anniversary ! Have a great trip!

5 Likes

Happy Anniversary :bell:
Hope it’s a great trip!

4 Likes

Woo hoo! Only you could get me in here right now! Can’t wait to follow along. Happy Anniversary to you and DH. :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

7 Likes

Happy anniversary! I’m looking forward to exploring DL through your eyes!

6 Likes

Happy Anniversary Trip!!! :sparkler: :champagne: :clinking_glasses: :cocktail: :tropical_drink: :sparkler:
Looking forward to following along with the DLR Rookie. :laughing:
Awesome idea to live in the moment!! Enjoy!!!
Safe travels!!

6 Likes

Happy happy anniversary! And I’m SO excited to follow your trip as I leave on my own in 2 weeks! Have an amazing time!

5 Likes

Happy Anniversary!! So flipping excited for you!!

I hope the weather is just right too :blush::heart: Not to hot and not to cold

11 Likes

Happy Anniversary!!! Can’t wait to hear all about it!

4 Likes

Woohoo! Happy Anniversary!

4 Likes

happy anniversary! and, of course, have a super trip!

(all the avengers: endgame tears.)

5 Likes

Yay!! I came on here during a quick break to see if this thread was already started. Congratulations and happy anniversary! I hope you have an awesome trip and a nice relaxing flight. People are not joking about the amount of tissues required for Endgame. Enjoy that too!

5 Likes

Happy Anniversary! It will be fun to see DLR through a first timer’s eyes.

5 Likes

Yay - it’s finally here! I hope your flight is going well and can’t wait to see you on the flip side!

5 Likes

Checking in from 34K feet to say I just finished Avengers: End Game and holy cow!

More in the other thread

17 Likes

Happy Anniversary!!
After 20 years you definitely deserve a trip just the two of you.

3 Likes

Whoops! I though I was sending you a PM and nope! I hit the wrong button!

2 Likes

Happy Anniversary!

Have a fantastic trip to the Happiest Place on Earth! May it truly be the happiest for you this weekend! :blush:

7 Likes