CDC Ends Covid-19 Program for Cruises

I don’t know anything about cruise economics/schedules, but if that is the case maybe some cruise lines would have certain cruises designated as vax only and others that are open to all vax statuses in order to capture the entire market?

It’s yet to be determined. Doubtful as they couldn’t make smoking cruises vs. non-smoking cruises work.

I haven’t had time to read this whole thread but wanted to put my 2 cents in, b/c I was scheduled to be on an Alaskan cruise mid June that I missed not for covid, but for a death in the family. This was something I scheduled in Oct 2019 for June 2020 that had been rescheduled to 21 and then 22. It was with a group. It was Princess from Whittier (Anchorage) to Vancouver. The travel agent leader of the group didn’t make it to the cruise b/c he tested positive for covid on another cruise before that. Most of the people who I would have been dining with etc. said online later that they had tested positive as soon as they got home. Masking wasn’t required and then was suddenly required a few days before the cruise sailed. I was all for that, as I felt unsafe without it, the more I heard about covid specifically in Alaska being a big problem. Overall what should have been something to be joyous about was incredibly stressful. Mostly I was very worried about testing before the cruise, after having flown from the US east coast all the way to Anchorage, and then testing again in Vancouver before being allowed to fly back to the US (that requirement was waived about a week before the cruise, but I had already purchased those video proctored covid tests so now I don’t know what I’m going to do with them). Every day I thought maybe I should cancel. I had purchased the Cancel for Any Reason insurance, which I will not do again b/c it was so expensive–I will get insurance but not CFAR. (I did have to make a claim for the cruise fee but that was a covered reason, death of that particular family member, so I got 100% of my money back instead of the 75% I would have gotten had I invoked the CFAR.). I did rebook 2 possible cruises for next summer or fall and will either choose one to go on (Princess had its $1 deposit sale), OR will cancel both if this stuff is still going on when it’s time to choose next spring. It was definitely not worth the fear involved no matter how much I have wanted to try cruising. The fear of being quarantined in a cruise cabin, with all the reports of Princess not being good about checking on your health or, ahem, giving you food and drink in a timely manner !!! then the possibility of being quarantined for 10 days in Vancouver when my family would be needing me back. I was however more afraid of the long flights to Anchorage and the chaos at the Vancouver airport that I read about. I had already purchased flights before I read about Vancouver airport being a problem. I was very worried I’d get covid on the long flight there and then miss everything and have to quarantine in Anchorage. When it had been time to choose to cancel or not, in early March 2022, things were looking good and I felt confident that the cruise policies of mandatory vaccines and testing would protect me. It was after that that the new variants were leading to so much immune escape among cruisers. That said, I have friends who have done multiple cruises (to places other than Alaska) and had a great time b/c there were so few passengers, and they did not get sick. In the end, though, I still want to do my itinerary for Alaska, and one of the cruises I booked for 2023 is the same itinerary on the same ship.

You might have been scheduled on the same ship we got on in Vancouver 6/25 :slight_smile:

and where most of our party got COVID…further up I posted about our experience. Lines up with what your group reported.

1 Like

I was supposed to depart June 11 on Majestic. Sigh. I really want to do this cruise!

Not official… yet.

Royal Caribbean will allow unvaccinated passengers on cruise ships in early August | Royal Caribbean Blog

Hopefully we will have some confirmation this week.

Royal Caribbean Updates Health Protocols | TravelPulse

2 Likes

I am a year out but regardless of what RCL’s policy is- as of today I believe Bermuda is insisting on a negative test to get off the ship.

2 Likes

I suspect it will be sometime before (if) there is any universal application. It will probably be itinerary based at first. And there will probably be some hiccups.

Time wise, I don’t see myself cruising til next summer at the earliest, so I have time to see where everything goes. I was just happy for some forward momentum.

1 Like

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

As the world continues to open up, luring travelers to explore their favorite destinations once again more freely, we have updated our health and safety protocols to further align to those of the broader travel, leisure and hospitality industry worldwide. The relaxation of global protocols and travel requirements, makes it easier for guests to return to sea with us. As such, for sailings beginning September 3, 2022, all travelers are invited to sail with us once again, regardless of vaccination status.*

Vaccinated no test required.
Unvaccinated > 12 test required, < 12 no test required.

Some itineraries have specific provisions based on countries.

1 Like

These steps back to normalcy are happening pretty quickly! Hoping you are able to return to cruising soon.

1 Like

Thank you @Jeff_AZ I’m very hopeful we will next summer. DH and I are hesitant to book til after November/December are behind the industry. Rules tend to change around that time of year.

2 Likes

Travel Requirements by Destination (ncl.com)

Country by country breakdown.

Vaccinated need no tests in Bahamas.
Unvaccinated now allowed in Bahamas with testing.

1 Like

Another incremental change: DCL removed the vaccination requirement for kids under 12. Guests 12+ still need to be vaccinated and everyone still needs to be tested. There is a “90-day recovery” option, but I don’t think that can be used for unvaccinated guests yet. Hopefully they will broaden that at some point.

1 Like

This is really bizarre to me

Originally they required all guests who could be vaccinated to be vaccinated.
That now includes children down to age 6 months.
But now they are restricting the requirement to ages 12+
Which feels like asking for trouble - how can you require it for one group but only strongly recommend it for another when the vaccine is recommended for all.

I’m fully vaccinated so this wouldn’t impact me. But you can bet your butt that if it did and I didn’t want to be vaxxed that they would be hearing about it. And I’m certain that they will.

1 Like

My guess is it’s an acknowledgment that Covid has an exponential impact the higher in age you are.

But at this point in the pandemic, when virtually everyone has had Covid, I think it’s close to time to drop the vaccine requirement. I expect more cruise lines will do so over the next 6-12 months. Disney probably doesn’t want to be on the leading edge of that trend though, for CYA reasons.

1 Like

This is more the thing to do.

Either require it for all who can be vaccinated
Or require it for none.

1 Like

Also though, let’s remember that the point of mass vaccination is to protect the masses, particularly those who cannot be vaccinated.

So allowing it to spread, even if the impact to the (let’s say baby in this case) is minimal, if he or she spreads it and ultimately a vulnerable person is sickened, then we have failed.

2 Likes

I agree, although it’s become increasingly clear that vaccination for Covid only dampens the degree of spread, it doesn’t stop it. So for Covid specifically (unlike other diseases we have vaccines for), the benefit to the person being vaccinated is much greater than the incremental benefit to those around them.

I still think it’s worth getting vaccinated for the benefit of others for Covid, though, just to be clear. An incremental benefit still adds up. It’s also good for healthcare workers, who end up seeing fewer patients.

1 Like

CANNOT being the operative term.Those who CANNOT I have no problems with my vaccination helping to protect.

But honestly it makes me mad that my vaccination helps to protect those who won’t because they listen to lies and not science.

1 Like

The list is growing! :slight_smile: :heart:

Holland America:
Holland America Line Simplifies COVID-19 Procedures | Carnival Corporation & plc

Princess:
PRINCESS CRUISES REMOVES VACCINE REQUIREMENT FOR MOST VOYAGES, ELMINATES PRE-CRUISE TESTING FOR VACCINATED GUESTS | Carnival Corporation & plc

Royal Caribbean:
The Healthy Sail Center | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Carnival:
CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE REMOVES PRE-CRUISE TESTING FOR VACCINATED GUESTS AND WELCOMES ALL UNVACCINATED TO SAIL | Carnival Corporation & plc

Seaborn:
SEABOURN SIMPLIFIES COVID-19 PROCEDURES REMOVING VACCINE REQUIREMENT FOR MOST VOYAGES AND ELIMINATING PRE-CRUISE TESTING FOR VACCINATED GUESTS | Carnival Corporation & plc

NCL:
Norwegian Cruise Line | Sail Safe | Health & Safety Protocols (ncl.com)

DCL, MSC, Celebrity still have the 12+ vaccine requirement.

There are more than those two reasons why people chose not to, but you probably know that. :dizzy:

1 Like