CDC Ends Covid-19 Program for Cruises

Rascal :wink:

I nearly got by too without one. When my family of 4 got sick, just 2 of us got the PCR test. I did not get tested at the time. Symptoms and timing were identical, so test not necessary for everyone. But later on that year, I agreed to get one in order to have an extended family holiday meal together.

Also, I did get a voluntary antibody test a year after infection. I know you have gotten these too.

1 Like

Actually it had been included free with blood donations. Not free any longer.

Thankfully, with each of my presumed infection I was never sick enough to need more than supportive care. No diagnosis needed.

1 Like

“Guests can now take advantage of at-home antigen tests (even the unsupervised ones!) to satisfy this requirement. We will be sending booked guests and travel partners specific details next week.”

This bit is new and makes life 1000% times easier. I don’t mind a home test requirement at all but seems very easy to just ignore…

3 Likes

Which cruise line says that?

And now Carnival has announced changes similar to RCL:

Carnival Cruise Line announced on Friday that it is adjusting certain protocols to reflect the lifting of CDC requirements for the U.S. cruise industry.

Effective for embarkations on or after Thursday, August 4:

No pre-cruise testing for fully vaccinated guests booked on cruises with itineraries 5 nights or less.
Pre-cruise testing for itineraries 6 nights or longer can be conducted three (3) days before departure.
There will be no in-terminal testing for unvaccinated guests on day of departure, but all unvaccinated guests ages 2 and older must provide proof of a negative result of a lab-administered or supervised self-administered antigen COVID test taken within three (3) days before embarkation.

“We remain, as always, committed to the health and safety of our guests, crew and the communities we serve. These changes will be made in phases, with the first of these updates effective on Thursday, August 4, 2022 and focused on short cruise itineraries of 5 nights or less,” the company said. “More changes will be announced shortly and all changes are subject to any requirements of destinations on the itinerary.”

3 Likes

Sorry, this was an RCL FAQ!

1 Like

Do you show proof of vaccination?

1 Like

Yes - you either do it during online check-in or via a third party like SafePassage which Disney uses.

Again, vaccination is REQUIRED by the countries the ships are visiting, so the cruise lines can’t decide on their own to remove that - or they’re not going anywhere since cruises to nowhere are not allowed.

Are the last few posts regarding a specific cruise? I’m afraid I’ve lost track.

Let’s say you have a couple of doses and a booster…but then you become eligible for another booster but you haven’t gotten it yet. Do countries consider that vaccinated?

@QwertySC : I’m just wondering in general, not really specific cruises or lines.

1 Like

It will depend on the requirements of the countries visited. I know in some cases (like Barcelona I think I’ve read on the CC forums) if you’re boosted within the last x number of days, you’re considered “fully vaccinated” but if it’s been more or there is another booster but you haven’t gotten it yet you’re “up to date” and there could be testing required. I think those are the designations.

But again, those requirements are largely set by the countries visited - and the cruiselines state that in their information…that they will be having to abide by the regulations of the countries visited and even if those are stricter than those of the lines, it is the countries’ regulations that reign supreme.

Bottom line - it’s going to be a while (if ever) before we see cruises allowing unvaxxed people on them.

1 Like

Ok. Thank you.

Princess website - front page - says ready to welcome passengers without the burden of showing vaccination proof.

So I wondered if you were talking specifically Bermuda(?) or specifically DCL(?).

:ship:

Not sure where Princess will be going since all the ports still require vaccination.

Like the “port authority” or the country?

The country. By docking, the ship is certifying that they adhere to all the entry requirements of the country.

And yes, that includes “private” islands/locations - those are still part of the country they were in before being leased or purchased. Example: Castaway Cay is still part of the Bahamas.

Ok. Belize and Mexico have no restrictions. Many cruises stop at just those countries.
Honduras requires a test, but no vaccine.

So it will all depend on what the lines want to do. People regularly say they are bored with Mexico - especially if that is the ONLY place they’re going to not have requirements, and they’ll start losing business. Belize is slightly newer to cruises, but honestly there is not much there without going far on busses and/or boats which not a lot of people want to do.

Ultimately it will be up to the lines to determine what they want to do. Based on what I’m seeing on Cruise Critic, for every anti-vaxxer, there are 2-3 people who will quit cruising if the requirement goes away - money talks. They lose enough money, they will stick to countries that require vaccination so they can - pun intended - stay afloat.

Ok. I was confused because you said

The people visiting CC will be skewed by the fact that lots of people only visit boards (this one included) when planning a cruise/trip.

In the end you’re right - the lines get to decide. The tone of Princess’s statement is suggestive of a readiness to move on.

1 Like

Good for Princess. I have sailed two ships under the Carnivore (sorry, “Carnival”) umbrella and they are not for me.

Whether you like them or not was never my question. I was seeking clarification on your statement:

I’m not sure where they will be going either. But I did know all counties do not require it. That’s why I was asking for more information.

So sorry I had misinformation. It happens.