Buying AP early?

Yeah. I mean, it is more related to how I plan a trip. We play around with dates, working with ideal times, find what works for us, and if we finding something else that we CAN make work, we can talk about that and maybe shift things.

But when you have to first establish communication with them to get pricing, it becomes this back and forth in a time-consuming way only to end up finding out what they have offer just won’t work for us. I feel kind of pressured and in a weird way trapped into a situation that feels like it is wasting everyone’s time.

BUT, if instead, if there just a list of discounts, what the days and discounts are, etc., then I can determine if there is even any point is trying.

Having said that, I’ve always heard of good things from MVT…just their business model doesn’t jive with my vacation planning personality!

Incidentally, Express Pass isn’t something we’re really interested in. I mean, I wouldn’t deny it if I got it, but we don’t really need it. We’ll be doing to the parks 7 days, minimum, and so the need for Express Pass isn’t really a concern…particularly for the dates we will be there.

1 Like

What part of their model doesn’t work with your vacation planning personality? Just curious. I’ve had great experiences with them. It started when I used to take advantage of their Disney agency exclusives and now get their Universal exclusives. But I also book my AP discounts with both Disney and Universal with them as well - partly because it’s so easy and also because I really like my agent and want to give her my business.

I just want to see dates, and what discounts are for what resorts/rooms. I don’t want to have to contact them first, give them dates, have them come back and say no discounts are available for those dates, or discounts aren’t enough or for the right rooms we have, etc. But then, do I end there, or what if we just move our dates two weeks earlier? Again, it turns into a back and forth. Why not just have this information up front to see? (They probably have a reason.) But for me, I just tire very quickly of the process when I’m trying to determine if we want to plan a trip, etc.

1 Like

For their agency exclusives, the post which resorts and what dates their deals are for on their website:
https://magicalvacationstravel.com/mvt/mvt-magical-deals/

You do need to call for price, but the price has always been lower than what I can get via any other discount, so if the dates work, I always contact them first.

And there you go. Hard no. I don’t call. I don’t want to have to e-mail them and wait for a response just to get prices for me to move on.

Don’t get me wrong…I’m sure this is all fine for others, but this process starts to feel too much haggling for a car price or something, and I just despise it. It is not an enjoyable process at all. Just show me the price!

2 Likes

So you’ll pay more so you don’t have to send an email? I’m too cheap for that.

No. So I don’t have to go back and forth on something that ultimately might not work out, wasting my time and theirs, when having the price up front would have avoided the entire thing.

ETA: There have been similar times in the past (not for a vacation thing, but other purchases) that required the same level of effort, and pretty soon I had multiple requests out to multiple places, and in the end, it took days and days only to find out nothing worked for our needs. IF, however, one of them had something that fit our needs, and I knew it from the start, I could just contact them and say, “I’m in!” Saves everyone’s time.

I always have just emailed Brandi- “hey, I see you have these resorts on these dates, can you tell me how much this, that, and that other resort will cost for 3 adults at these 3,4, or 5 resorts”. Brandi will then send me one email with all the details. Then when I respond “oh, hey- can you price out this resort too for those dates and how much will all of them cost in these other dates”…. she emails me that answer. My time? About 5 minutes….her time? Much more time- especially when I book and then make her change everything again before the trip(when I change my mind about something or who I am going with )

That’s been my experience as well.

1 Like

Just as a follow up confirmation, UOR responded to my email and confirmed that you CAN buy early, and then activate any time, which aligns with what @vcka was told as well.

3 Likes

That’s my plan too, I’m ready to buy now for activation 2023 - my only hesitation is not knowing the blockout dates (seasonal AP) for March. I’m sad no one commented on my guesstimate so shameless plug :wink:

We are looking at May, and our dates have not historically had any blackout dates to worry about. Wish I could help about March.

1 Like

Not sure if this helps, but I bought an AP for my trip, for the hotel discount. I got the cheapest pass

Purchased 11/12/21
Activated 1/22/22
Expires 12/16/22

I found the expiration date in the wallet in the universal app.

1 Like

That expiration date is odd. An AP is good for 365 days after the first use.

Here are some great articles that answer all kinds of questions.

I thought so too, but that’s what it shows. I have no plans to use it in December so it doesn’t really matter for me. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

If it is a seasonal pass, it might be because the remaining calendar days are blocked out already.

1 Like

I considered that, but most of January is always available for anyone.

Cool beans, and you got it in writing :wink:

I think the first half of January is blocked out still? Not sure.