Breaking News: Crazy West Coasters go to Florida in the middle of a Global Pandemic: Otherwise known as a good old fashioned Trip Report

18 Likes

Great that you made it in safely. Love all the photos!

3 Likes

Thanks for all the photos, I love HRH!! Have fun in the parks today.

3 Likes

While we anixiously await more pics… I did mention to my DW that I had budgeted out a solo trip for a full week at WDW for $1,100.

She expressed her concerns about COVID and me possibly bringing it home. In our home, neither of us has to ask the other “permission” to do anything. However, we do take our partner’s feelings / concerns into account before doing anything “big / dramatic”. So… she does have valid concerns about the virus and that takes precedent over low queues! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

Girl, if I had any travel budget I would be there now. I could easily quarantine for two weeks after.

3 Likes

So excited to follow along!

1 Like

Technically we don’t ask permission either, but I am pretty sure a solo trip to WDW wouldn’t be ok! Of course I’m in the UK so it’s a much bigger undertaking. I do plan to test this at some point though!

4 Likes

For us, me going solo isn’t an issue. My DW only somewhat “likes” theme parks. She wants to be done by lunch and maybe come back after dinner for fireworks and / or a ride.

I’ve got multiple solo trips planned going forward, including getting a UOAP, now that my DD is going to college. (It’s amazing how easy / affordable a solo trip is compared to juggling the preferences and costs of 3 ppl!)

2 Likes

I’ve done one solo trip (1995) and I haven’t done one since. I felt uncomfortable and awkward; it’s just me. I didn’t feel awkward shopping alone just waiting in line for and riding rides alone. Now, when on a trip w/ others I will venture off alone during the trip but that’s different.

5 Likes

Thanks for the pics. Nicely themed hotel. Hope things stay good.

2 Likes

I did feel a little awkward meeting Ariel on my own but I think that’s because I’m an adult :joy:

5 Likes

I get it. It’s not for everyone. Growing up my family moved around a lot, so I had to learn to play alone. It kinda made me my own Best Friend. I’ve had one trip to Universal in 2018 that was supposed to be a family trip. However, my teen DD picked up an ear infection on day 2. She and my DW just stayed in the hotel and I had a blast in the parks. It was the first time since becoming a dad that I got to do everything I wanted! (I hate that my daughter missed out and we basically wasted $3,000 by having them just sit in a hotel room, but it’s probably one of my favorite vacations in the last 10 years!)

IMHO - As a guy it’s even more uncomfortable. Meeting those characters is my favorite part of the trip. However, I know from experience working in Entertainment, how creepy so many guys are with characters. I tend to over compensate and babble something like, “Oh! I’m so happy to meet you!! You don’t have to hold my arm or anything… I’m just a big fan!”

4 Likes

I don’t think I would like a solo trip. I don’t like a lot of stuff solo. I like the shared experience factor too much.

5 Likes

We finally made it to a park, Islands of Adventure. We were able to book Hagrid’s from the hotel, and have 2 times booked right now. Will be getting on that shortly. It’s our favorite ride in Orlando right now. The park does not seem crowded at all.

25 Likes

Oh I’m so jealous!!

6 Likes

I am the same. I have gone to DLR solo for a day trip a couple of times. The first time it felt so strange! I don’t know that I could do a multi day trip solo. But … at this moment in time it’s awfully tempting!

1 Like

You got me sitting here planning a trip to Orlando that’s not gonna happen instead of working!

2 Likes

More great photos!! Love following you when you’re touring!! :laughing:
What a change from the early days when Hagrid was such a hard ride to get on to!!
Enjoy your day, and the low crowds. Keep cool!!

3 Likes

This is my situation, although “tolerates” may be the better word. DW philosophically agrees that it makes more sense for me to go solo, but (strongly) objects to the cost - so I’ve not been in almost 6 years. I was “supposed” to go last December, but her spending precluded my saving, so I had to cancel.

2 Likes

I agree for many things, but not Disney. When we go together I spend so much time worrying that she isn’t enjoying herself that it impacts how much I am enjoying myself.

1 Like