Breaking News: Crazy West Coasters go to Florida in the middle of a Global Pandemic: Otherwise known as a good old fashioned Trip Report

I haven’t done a Trip Report in years, but now seems like the perfect time to restart.
Our details: DH is not a fan of FL, Disney, or humidity levels above 30 percent. He had no interest in joining us on this trip, and pretty much thinks we have lost our minds to travel to FL right now. This isn’t different than how he normally feels about our trips though, so I didn’t let that bother me. :rofl:
This whole trip started as a back up plan when I started to question whether Disneyland would open this summer. Every summer for the last 5 years or so I take one of my kids (DD18 and DS16) to Disneyland while the other is traveling elsewhere, usually overseas with my Mom. Back in January I decided I would take both kids together in July before DD18 leaves for college. Since Disneyland hasn’t opened yet, our only option was Florida. We go to both coasts frequently, so aren’t bothered by the lack of available things, and are pretty excited about the low crowds. We usually go to FL for spring break, also went over the holidays this past winter, and go to Disneyland in the summer, so we are used to high crowds. The low crowds being reported were just too much to ignore…so that leads us to today. We are on our first flight to Denver, and then will arrive at MCO at 7pm. We have masks, wipes, sanitizer, and are ready for a little fun. DD18 will be headed to the Northeast for college in a few weeks, and we likely won’t see her until Thanksgiving. My Mom heart is struggling with this, and she wanted one more Disney trip before she left. How can I argue with that, when she has missed out on so many senior year milestones the past 4.5 months? She just wants to wear her Mickey graduation ears in front of a castle. I couldn’t give her a normal graduation, or senior night of excellence, or a normal Prom…but I can give her a non-photoshopped picture of herself in Mickey ears in front of a castle!

51 Likes

Whoop whoop! Looking forward to following along.

6 Likes

I want to see the Mickey ears graduation picture too. Gave me a good idea for my DS :wink:

8 Likes

That’s what keeps tempting me to book a spontaneous trip too! A pic with Mickey graduation ears in MK is a great way to celebrate Avery’s graduation (congrats to her btw!) Have the best time!

10 Likes

I just realized I should have brought her regular cap and gown, and all her academic medals to take a picture in front of the castle. I am so mad at myself! Luckily I never mentioned it to her, so she won’t be bummed. Will have to settle for the Mickey grad ears I guess.

9 Likes

I admit… I’ve said I wouldn’t go this year due to COVID concerns. However, after watching all the insanely low crowds has gotten me price checking. Since I, too, am in the DLR is still closed group. (more like day dreaming, since I’m still concerned about COVID)

However, I’ve found $50 Frontier Airlines RT airfare and $25 per night AirBnB. I’ve priced a whole 7 day solo trip for under $1500 - includes all transportation / food / lodging / tickets

11 Likes

Just do it! I mean, what can go wrong? :grimacing:

7 Likes

That’s amazing! What are you waiting for? :joy:

5 Likes

If you join their “club” for $60 you can get less than 1/2 price for a year. That’s a RT flight for $22! If I do get an Universal AP in 2021, I’ll probably be doing that. After the 3rd flight it pays for itself.

4 Likes

:joy: Well, if 2 healthcare professionals (you and @dreamer) are convinced it’s safe to go, I’m booking that $50 Frontier ticket right now!

10 Likes

This trip is quite a bit cheaper than any other we have taken to WDW/UOR. Plus the last few months with minimal travel (we usually travel a whole lot) and working without spending, my fat bank account felt like it needed to be depleted a bit. I mean, the bank and credit card companies were calling weekly wondering why my constant payments to amusement parks stopped! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

15 Likes

I have no doubt about that! Your every-other-month Disney routine has been seriously disrupted by this whole pandemic thing.

4 Likes

I still dislike paying full price & not getting a full experience, but I guess these low crowds do kinda compensate for it. I still wouldn’t take my first DLR trip right now, as I want that to be back to “normal” when I experience it for the first time. But if, as Len said this week on Disney Dish, they are only hosting about 5,000 people in each park per day that’s almost too good to pass up!

I was seeing video of people being allowed to repeat ride FoP with no wait - just go back through the FPP lane before exiting show building.

6 Likes

Have DH FedEx it! It would be so cool but really hot wearing it all!:rofl:

8 Likes

I think we feel comfortable since we spend our days surrounded by germs and bodily fluids…and yet here we are year after year doing just fine. Honestly, I am more likely to be exposed at work than anywhere else. Our Covid tests on patients are taking a minimum of 4 hours to come back, so many deliver before that, and even though we have on eye protection and masks, gloves and such…the risk is very real.

10 Likes

We recently saw my nephew and his girlfriend. She seriously asked me how I was doing not being able to go to Disney for months. She was worried about my mental health!
I am so happy we went to WDW over the holidays, and then I was at DL at the end of January for my friend’s birthday. But now it has been almost 6 whole months! 6!!! :rofl:

8 Likes

I make the same argument in my head about being more likely to be exposed at work than out and about. My DW is hard to convince of all this though. She says no Disney until there’s a vaccine. I can’t wait for that! I was seriously bummed about DL, more so than our April WDW trip.

7 Likes

We would not be going for a first trip, or a trip that can only happen yearly or once every several years. You should definitely save DL for when things are a little more normal.
The cost doesn’t really bother me, but I sold my soul to Disney long ago.

10 Likes

Same, but I’m still cheap in the planning phase. (Once I get there it’s so hard for me to stay on budget!)

3 Likes

Sorry your DW wants to wait for a vaccine. I think that may be a long time away, but I guess we will see. I was fine without Disney while the parks were closed, but open parks…I can’t stay away, apparently.

6 Likes