Boarding Groups - Rise of the Resistance

Can someone please explain the Boarding Groups? How they work?

I see today, in the LInes app, that the Boarding Groups are at capacity. What does that mean? Is there a reservation system?

While we are at it: I know they did away with FP+ and are now using the Virtual Queue. Can anyone explain exactly how that works.

TIA as we plan for our Sept trip. Craig

Only Rise of the Resistance is using the BG/virtual queue. Every other ride is standby.

2 Likes

Boarding groups are the virtual queue and RotR is the only ride that uses them. At capacity means they are all gone.

There is no standby queue, the only way to ride is to get a boarding group. They are currently released at 10am and 2pm, and go within a couple of minutes. You book them on MDE and you need to be quick. When you get one, it will estimate how long your wait will be and you’ll get a notification when it’s time to go and ride.

3 Likes

Or faster! On some days, they were gone in about 30 seconds or so! So you have to be quick.

2 Likes

They have all been gone within seconds

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any reports of how fast they’ve been going since reopening.

Theres plenty of reports…Some Forums update real time…Today at 10am they were all gone in 12 seconds

1 Like

This is the only forum I use. Blimey, that’s fast.

2 Likes

Thanks. I see that we need to be prepared. The first time I did a FP+ (last March, before the closure) I was slow because I didn’t really know what I was doing - so I missed my first couple of selections. Twelve seconds does not allow ANY learning curve - you either nail the landing or you don’t.

Can anyone explain exactly how a newby goes about getting a Boarding Group reservation? I understand that the starting point is the My Disney phone app.

HS opens at 10:00, the same time the reservation is made - so I envision at rope drop, everyone is just standing there looking down at their phone trying to get a reservation for that one ride. Luckily, that scene only lasts about 12 seconds!
Thanks, C

That’s about how it played out actually. CMs were actually telling people where to go stand if they are trying for a ROTR BG!

1 Like

We got our BG while in line for SDD and/or MMRR. It’s important to count down the time to the second. We had three in our party. I was in charge of being on world clock and counting down to 10:00. My daughters were both standing by to hit the join queue button on my mark. If you can, practice ahead of time. You won’t be allowed to join the queue but I think you can go through the motions. The more people in your group trying, the better your chances. Good luck! You’ll be fine! As long as you’re in the park and counting down to 10:00!

@craigmcd, I haven’t updated it in a while, but the below post (written pre-COVID) is a comprehensive step-by-step instruction manual for getting a BG. Off the top of my head, the only things that have changed recently is they now distribute at 10am and 2pm, and also they now automatically select your entire party that is in the park instead of having to do that manually.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

That tutorial doesn’t really apply. Screens and such are different now. Best suggestion is just practice at 10:00 from home.

1 Like

I may have to do an update. If only 10am wasn’t 7am on the west coast … oh wait! I can do the 2pm drop.

3 Likes

Thanks for your help everyone. I did a run through from home this afternoon and saw how it works. Clever that they knew who was in our group, but that we are not in the park today. It seems very straight forward. See you at WDW !

3 Likes

ya’ll are making me nervous with the dress rehearsal and 12 seconds and they’re all gone. :grimacing: Last January my daughter got us in w/ her phone my provider sucked. Good thing she was there. We’re going to try on Wednesday; my DH, DS haven’t been on RoTR yet.

3 Likes

You can do it! I was nervous too, but we had no issues. Knowing the exact time is key and having more than one person trying if you can. Can’t wait to here how you do!

Edited to say … the wifi seems pretty good. If your service isn’t great, at least one of you should be on wifi!

2 Likes

thanks for the encouragement and tips. I’ll have to get my guys to create accounts…