Big News for Dining & FP

There were a couple factors keeping my late July trip alive.

1. My FP’s were in parks on their EMH days, and I hoped that would get me those parks reserved, and with those EMHs, in the new system.

FP gone. EMH gone.

1. Free DDP with recovery deal from cancelled March trip.

Gone, along with good ADRs like Artist Point and Trattoria. From what I currently see, I would still pay rack rate for the room but without the DDP, and full price tickets for reduced hours and experiences while fighting a mask in 95 degree humid heat. Waiting to see more complete info for how this brand new system will work, but this isnt looking good. Are there others who had the recovery deal free DDP, and is this a definite cancel for you?

5 Likes

First time poster responding to Tall_Paul. I joined touring plans in Oct. 2019 to plan a spring break trip (last week of March 2020). We had everything how we wanted it - resort, ADRs, FPP, MK AH, and a couple of tours. Like many of you, that trip evaporated. When I re-booked for the next available time when we could get the same room & resort (a 1BR @ Beach Club), our trip was going to begin on July 18. I added an extra night (for less money than my original booking!), and we got free dining. I was ecstatic - that $264 we were going to spend on Hoop Dee Doo was a non-issue.

Heady with free ADR’s to plan, I scheduled Storybook Dining, Yak & Yeti, SciFi, etc. All good ones. My FPP weren’t as great, and the idea of wearing masks in July was a tough sell for my DH. I got him on board though, reasoning that our kids (13, 11) won’t be the same people next summer. I wanted to experience Disney with them at this age. We were all looking forward to new experiences (Pandora, Toy Story Land, and Galaxy’s Edge), not to mention the BC pool!

After yesterday’s announcement, we were feeling positive. I excitedly told the kids how things were shaping up (and they could care less about no character meet & greets, parades, or fireworks). Then I log in this evening, see this post, and read Disney’s announcement. Frankly I am dumbfounded and see no way to salvage this vacay. So yes, losing free dining (along with the Rhino Encounter & no hope of any after-hours events) makes it definitive for us. We’re out.

I joined this site fully expecting to see my carefully crafted daily touring plans play out in real life. All the time I’ve spent planning this trip for my family was a complete and utter waste. As others have posted here, it is time for me to get off this emotional roller coaster. Onward and upward to making a new 2020 vacay (which will not be for Orlando)!

9 Likes

I had the recovery deal booked. We may still go but only if we can shave a couple days off our trip. We have APs so we didn’t need the tickets anyway, but I’m not keen on paying $500/night for 7 nights and now have to pay OOP for food. I’m curious if they’ll allow me to modify at all. My TA seems to think so.

Welcome to the forum, @rrmccrea. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. It’s eerie how similar the details of our situations are. I definitely share the same frustration. Best wishes to you on wherever you do travel, and hoping the sting of this will pass in time and we can all get back to WDW when the time is right. I would say my trip is hanging by the weakest of threads.

3 Likes

So sorry! That’s devastating!

1 Like

Seems so strange to get these announcements this way. You would think an email would have been a simple courtesy to those with reservations…especially for those of you checking in in July. All dining and experience reservations cancelled is so shocking! I have to admit I am excited to see where this all lands in the end - especially for FPP, but just feel like the transition could have been handled a little better for those with reservations.

6 Likes

I completely agree. As soon as I told the kids, no droid building and no up close rhinos, they agreed with putting the trip off until we can do those things (reliably).

3 Likes

I might have waited to see if you could rebuild the trip n the new system. If not, then cancel. As it stands now you don’t know that you can’t rebuild it. All you know now is that it was erased and you’ll be given the chance to put it back together

4 Likes

Are the package cancellation still 30 days to lose deposit or is that is still under waiver?

@rrmccrea we are mostly in the same boat, my finely crafted plans have all suddenly gone in the toilet and it’s all very disappointing. But if/when you do go back, most definitely do the rhino tour! It’s wonderful.

1 Like

I had travel funds that were supposed to expire at the end of October and they are now expiring 9/22. I think I may need to cancel my October flights to make sure I can use the money for May, but I wanted to see when SW will release the schedule for May. We bought early bird and I prefer not to lose that money if possible. Thanks for the info.

Is anyone else wondering if this will be an early roll out of the system they announced during D23? Is it the Genie?

4 Likes

I wondered the same?

genie was announced as an app that helped you manage your vacation etc. Maybe it’s been developed further? There’s no way this new system could have been developed just since the closure, so I wonder whether this new system is an evolved version.

It’s certainly different to what it was originally said to be. But maybe they started redesigning things last Fall?

5 Likes

I agree that the timing would be perfect. I just cringe at this because Disney’s IT has always been lacking even under the best of circumstances…

5 Likes

I was just scrolling to see if anyone else had said it first! It is called “The Genie”. If they don’t it roll it out they could definitely pave the way for a paid FPP / MaxPass system. I could see a press release like this:

“Introducing MaxPass at WDW for only $35 per ticket!” (just a made up amount)

“We’re fostering social distancing by limiting the number of FastPasses through MaxPass & only making them available for purchase”

I don’t hate the 60 day ADR though. I am in the group that still remembers having to book that close to the date years ago.

I guess we’ll get to see how queues work without FPP again for a while. I know they’ll be spaced out, but hopefully it will show ppl how messed up the FPP system makes the standby queues.

2 Likes

I will be sad to see my September ADRs wiped out. Honestly, I am not going and if my son wants to go they will find someplace to eat. I also figure that no matter what I will find a time for Flying Fish or Jiko! Win!

4 Likes

Virtual queues will (almost certainly) be used for the “big” rides.

But not like RotR. Much more like the 4th FP I suspect, one at a time and with the reduced crowds it should be possible to let everyone get a few.

1 Like

So Maxpass?

2 Likes

Personally as an ultimate planner I am going to miss the 180 day window for ADR’s. Getting them then modifying them until they are perfect is part of the hunt for a Disney vacation

5 Likes

I am seeing reports that all clubs levels are closed?