Best sushi?

Also, the best pizza we ever had was in a gas station in Davie, FL. So take that as you will :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

:no_mouth:

That is great to know and strikes me as very funny! Pun intendedšŸ˜‚. Thanks so much!

2 Likes

If I go to Wallyworld, and Iā€™m staying Epcot area for more than four days, Iā€™m probably going to Kimonos twice. Hereā€™s why:

In the realm of overpriced WDW restaurants and food, itā€™s a bargain for the quality.
If you want simple nigiri, itā€™s pretty much a bargain.

They have all of the hipster mayo-maki rolls, if youā€™d like those, too, but for simple nigiri, I think itā€™s a bargain. Itā€™ll be as good as a really decent neighborhood sushi joint in Anytown, USA, but, it will be priced the same, too, and the quality is there. SOOO, in the world of overpriced WDW food, coupled with it being in swanky hotel, imo, itā€™s a bargain.

Iā€™d rather go to Kimonos, and pay the same as decent sushi outing at home, than go to other places and overpay for stuff thatā€™s NOT as good as I can get at home - if that makes any sense.

Iā€™m a fan of Kimonos.

IMO, food at WDW is more about damage control for the price. For my fam, we think Kimonos is a bargain for the quality.

4 Likes

This sounds like what the consensus of online reviews and looking at the menu prices led me to. I like typical sushi and itā€™s half the price of the other onsite sushi options with a larger variety. The only reason Iā€™m considering Teppan Edo is the 13yo girls Iā€™m taking with me do not eat sushi and Teppan Edo would provide them with more typical eats and entertainment. I am eating at Cali Grill too though on my MK day but they also have kid friendly stuff.

It is also excellent there; I often forget DS when I make recommendations as I really donā€™t go there very often.

1 Like

Youā€™re going latter part of June? Weā€™ll be there first half and I just realized our dining schedule did wind up pretty sushi heavy. Last minute research :test_tube: for you! :joy:

6/2 Cowfish (Trip Advisor has it as #6 sushi in Orlando)

6/3 Date night at Morimotoā€™s for DH birthday (just the 2 of us so we can do chefā€™s selection sushi)

6/6 Seito Sushi (Trip Advisor has it as #2 sushi in Orlando)

6/12 Teppan Edo (we might drop this one though if we get saturated since it will be Day 10 at WDW parks)

6/13 Dim sum at Morimoto with the family

Plus a couple other places with sushi options. :joy:

(We loved Kimonos last year but are intentionally skipping it because it was one of those perfect nights we donā€™t want to try to replicate and be disappointed if there is any Covid weirdness. Weā€™ll definitely be back when things normalize. Trip Advisor has it as #4 for Sushi in Orlando.)

Iā€™m a huge fan of Trip Advisor, but it does take some reading-between-the-lines. The place Trip Advisor has as #1 for sushi has too many reviews that all mention some staff member by name and many of the reviewers have posted very few reviews. And management responds to every review. So they are obviously actively cultivating positive reviews.

1 Like

And sometimes highly rated restaurants are Chiliā€™s and Applebeeā€™s and not that you canā€™t get a decent meal at those places but come on with the #5 in the whole city. :wink:

2 Likes

Cowfish is one of my favorites for sushi (but donā€™t forget about the amazing milkshakes!).

Teppan Edo is good, but nothing special. I am happy to eat there if it is convenient for our schedule, but wouldnā€™t go out of my way for it.

Morimoto - I have not been to Morimotoā€™s in Orlando, but have been to two of his other restaurants. Some amazing dishes and great sushi!

I agree with @OBNurseNH that California Grill is the best sushi on property (though I have not tried Kimonos).

1 Like

Look at the 5 stars! :rofl::rofl: Itā€™s not just me, I swear! We lived up the road when it was brand new and moved a couple of years later so Iā€™m not sure how the quality held up in the past 8 years.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34227-d4193548-Reviews-Zinncredible_Pizza_Panini-Fort_Lauderdale_Broward_County_Florida.html

So itā€™s basically good, solid standard hibachi? Maybe Iā€™ll swap that one out. We may just decide to graze F&G all day instead anyway. (Weā€™ll make a judgment call the day before and I figured that reservation would be expendable. Itā€™s one weā€™ve always been interested in trying but itā€™s never made the cut.). We already have another day scheduled for grazing F&G and WS QS all day.

But if we do decide we want a sit down meal, what are everyoneā€™s favorite TS at Epcot that are open with a somewhat normal menu? We already have Le Cellier on the agenda.

We are intentionally skipping Biergarten due to Covid weirdness (too expensive per head for 7 people with current format if we have already grazed F&G for lunch since we will probably will want to split entrees).

Coral Reef used to be a ā€œmust doā€ for us until Landryā€™s opened 2 Aquarium Restaurants near us which are a similar experience, and it looks like their Covid menu is way pared way down anyway.

Another option would be to pencil in Spice Road Table since there are no reservations taken there right now. We had an outstanding pre-Covid meal there during the fireworks last year, but theyā€™ve really pared down their menu and no fireworks so we know it wonā€™t be the full experience.

1 Like

And, since you have to look at those nasty barges, maybe they will pay you to eat there!

1 Like

Kona Cafe at the Polynesian also has a decent amount of sushi options and was pretty good. We had a sushi appetizer that was very good - on par with California Grill for what we had at each. Another option to consider, at least once Kona Cafe reopensā€¦

It is open!

Oh - nice - didnā€™t realize it is still open. Guess I just misread the App I used to look up the menu since so much other stuff is closed at the Polyā€¦

1 Like

We are eating at Biergarten, Tutto Italia, Teppan Edo, Le Cellier and Rose & Crown and Iā€™d report back but weā€™re there at the same time soooooo
Pre-covid I enjoyed both Mexican restaurants and thought the negative reviews were too harsh for both. I did not like Coral Reef so much on my last visit. It was like a red lobster to me and just meh. I have always loved Garden Grill but I think thatā€™s honestly the ambience. Chefs de France I just remember being ok and I donā€™t have a strong inclination to go back but we eat at Teppan Edo almost every visit and I think it is a notch above the other food in the world imho.

3 Likes

Yes. Good food, but no different than what I can get within a 20 minutes drive at home. I think you have a good plan. Iā€™ve done the same thing at Epcot. Book a TS in advance and then decide the day before whether to do the TS or graze.

We really enjoy the food at La Hacienda de San Angel. I wouldnā€™t call it a must do, but it is our favorite of the Epcot TS.

4 Likes

Iā€™m of similar opinion. If anything, I felt I could get better up the street at home. Granted, I could have just been on an off day, but itā€™s something I wasnā€™t looking forward to doing again when thereā€™s so many other options.

This.

2 Likes

Out of the sushi weā€™ve had in Orlando so far, this one was hands down the best:

I loved the experience with the karaoke at Kimono last January, but not sure how the experience has changed with Covid.

We also had sushi at Cowfish and Morimoto within the last week.

The sushi at Seito is definitely better though. Like, this is REALLY good sushi.

We have a reservation at Teppan Edo next weekend, so Iā€™ll let you know if we have sushi and it outshines this.

1 Like

It wonā€™t. We ate is last week. Itā€™s alright but Iā€™ve have had iron chef sushi and this ainā€™t that.

2 Likes