Best sushi?

Sigh

I am a tekka maki fan… or even tekka maki with some cucumber and/or avocado. Looks like the only place that would have anything close to that is Kimonos …which may be too out of the way for us to visit.

Any sushi place that isn’t using strictly prepackaged stuff will make you a tuna roll - plain or with cukes and/or avocado - just have to ask. Even if you don’t see it on a menu. If you’d like to try Kimonos, it’s super simple to get to if you are in Epcot’s World Showcase or at the entrance of Hollyweird. Friendship Boats or walking path. It’s simple to get to, but if you’re not in the area or tight on time, that’s a different story.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing last night sitting at Seito. Surely they would??? Their sushi chefs looked pretty legit.

DD20 used to order sushi off-menu as a wee lass. No place could deny her. :joy: Tobiko hand rolls were totally her thing!

1 Like

I’m just browsing this post and saw this. I looked up the dim sum for Morimoto and was floored by the price. They better be made with a special pork, live shrimp, and other high quality ingredients! $14/4 pieces is more than 2 times more than the best steamed pork dim sum dishes in the SF Bay Area. I know that is Disney prices but I would have a hard time swallowing a couple bites of pork dumpling that cost $3.50 each! Nevermind that I willing pay for CA Grill, Boathouse, etc.

IKR? Houston has an extremely authentic, decent sized Chinatown so I totally get what you’re saying. (It is a bit more pan-Asian than strictly Chinese though.)

But. This is celebrity Disney dim sum. :sweat_smile:

We thought it would be a tad easier on the pocketbook to take the fam there from dim sum than sushi anyway! (Just DH and I did the sushi as a date night on his bday.)

1 Like

I think it will be a time thing.

My dad worked for a Japanese company for close to 20 years when I was growing up. He LOVED the culture and the food (and was thrilled when they sent him to Japan on business, probably one of his favorite trips ever) and exposed us to a lot more than most of my peers of that time period. Not many kids back in the early 80’s had wasabi in their fridge as one of the regularly used condiments! :upside_down_face:

Dad had a favorite Japanese restaurant in midtown Manhattan that he went to for lunch, often. So often that his appetizer and drink were sitting on the sushi bar by the time he made his way from the door to his chair…and they greeted him by name. He was usually the only Irish-Catholic Caucasian in the entire place. :rofl:

While dad loved almost all varieties of sushi (Uni was his favorite), I unfortunately am not as adventurous as he was and still like the simple tuna roll. We have definite plans for California Grill and maybe Morimoto if we venture to DS.

I am making lists and will have to make a lot of decisions!

Note: Our tiny suburban town outside Philly has a semi-new restaurant that is owned by a former Morimoto (San Diego) chef. I am spoiled because the food is amazing, we can walk there, and an order of tekka maki is only $6!

2 Likes