Aulani Trip Report 9/5/21 (10 days)

I knew going in that food c/would be our biggest expense b/c the room was covered w/ our DVC mbrshp and that’s prepaid. And the food cost would depend on eating out or in room (kitchen). After seeing food choices at resort I knew that eating/cooking in would be essential. As much as we ended up in the room lowered that cost. I wasn’t worried about money but I do like to track what I spend b/c it will help w/ future trips since we are planning on this being an annual trip.

4 Likes

We are hoping to finally get to Hawaii in the next few years (hoping a split stay with Aulani and somewhere else) and your report has been so helpful.

2 Likes

Oh, glad to hear it. Where is your other location, do you know yet?

2 Likes

Trying to decide on another island or not travel so much and just another location on Oahu.

3 Likes

opps… not for a few years… lots of time to decide :wink: :laughing: I’ll try to read more carefully :crazy_face:

2 Likes

No worries, we cancelled our 2020 Aulani/Oahu trip and haven’t decided when to reschedule yet. Might go back to Europe first. Looking at late 2022 for that.

1 Like

Definitely different rules on vacation.

3 Likes

I’m jealous that will be an annual trip. My DH never wants to go back to Aulani. Hawaii, yes. Aulani, no.

4 Likes

Yes I agree. As long as we were there I couldn’t just throw nutrition out the window, hence the importance of a kitchen for us.

1 Like

I guess I can see that. My DH bought the Aulani DVC b/c he wants to live there but I don’t LOL

2 Likes

I would recommend hopping to another island. Oahu is fantastic and you could spend a lifetime there, but for a tourist you can hit the big stuff in 3-4 days.

I’d recommend Maui as the second option. Beautiful secluded beaches, hiking (or biking) Haleakala, fine dining, etc.

The Big Island is great for those interested in active volcanoes. The National Parks area feels almost like Yellowstone without the animals and foliage :joy:. It has its share of luxury resorts and beaches as well.

Kauai is the most isolated feeling of the major islands. If you want to feel like you’re away from it all while still being in the lap of luxury, it’s a good choice. Beautiful nature hikes and helicopter rides, golf, etc.

6 Likes

That’s a great compromise. Hawaii is gorgeous, but living there would be insanely expensive.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! DH was thinking Maui but as the planner, I hadn’t fully researched yet lol. I think we will rent points for the Aulani portion and I have Chase points for the other hotel we choose.

2 Likes

I hated living there. I felt isolated from extended family. BTW why doesn’t your DH want to ever go back to Aulani?

2 Likes

He hates anything Disney related. He’s weird.

2 Likes

Well he’s not alone in the world :wink: Not everyone can be a Disney fan.

1 Like

True but it’s annoying.

1 Like

I bet :rofl::rofl::rofl: but he does have whiskey :tumbler_glass::rofl:. That’s the dog’s name, right?

1 Like

Yes, the dog is Whiskey and is also annoying.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes