Aulani Trip Report 9/5/21 (10 days)

The dog is my ticket to frequent Disney trips though.

4 Likes

I remember. Sounds like a good deal to me :wink:

1 Like

Maybe. The dog is hyper and quite destructive.

1 Like

I’m sorry. I’ve seen some of the destruction you’ve shared :grimacing:

1 Like

It’s pretty bad.

1 Like

I had a friend w/ a St. Bernard that ate the sheet rock off the kitchen wall, destroyed the concrete in the dog kennel (jeez how do you do that dog?!?) and all I could think of was the $$$$$$$ and that I wouldn’t keep the dog :expressionless:. She shrugged and laughed it off while hiring contractors to fix all the damage and I just :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Wow. Okay. I should not complain. Whiskey isn’t that bad.

1 Like

We were in Hawaii over Christmas 2019, but all volcanoes on the big island are now dormant. Kinda disappointing as we had a crater view room at the lodge at the national park!

2 Likes

Have you tried Flippers? We had it in 2012 and in 2019. We felt it’s pizzas were delicious. The menu in 2019 was more gourmet.

2 Likes

Wasn’t there a lava flow in a neighborhood just a couple years ago? Was that before or after you were there? In any case, those volcanoes can rev back up any time.

2 Likes

No. Because I hear a lot about them ending with a poor outcome.

5 Likes

I know of a really fantastic pizza place, that I dream of regularly, on the gulf coast of FL. Definitely Does Not Suck ™

3 Likes

Well, the gulf coast is too much of a hike for pizza :laughing: especially since we’re on the Atlantic coast :wink:

1 Like

We really enjoyed our “doors off” helicopter tour in Hawaii in 2006. The lava flows were active on the Big Island, and we could actually feel the heat.

But you made me wonder how risky they are. Turns out, a lot less risky than driving.

I think you just hear about them a lot because they are so unusual, in comparison to something like car crashes.

3 Likes

I’m right there with you! While statistically helicopter rides are safe, the danger is out of my tolerance threshold. I’ve come to terms with the dangers of car rides because they are a necessity. But I don’t need to ride in a helicopter.

That said, I fully support other people who want to take helicopter tours, as long as they are aware of the potential dangers.

5 Likes

Ok, I have to ask. Do you actually only use your car for necessities then? That’s the only way I can see any logic to this?

Or is that you can’t tolerate the perceived risk of helicopters? (Those look scary so why risk it?)

2 Likes

Perception 100% plays into it. I’ll admit that it’s irrational on the whole. But it’s also the lack of control (I’m not the pilot) and the high stakes (if I crash in a car there’s a decent chance I can swerve into something benign).

If I really wanted to do a helicopter tour, I would find a way to allay my fears. But I don’t want / need to. We all have our risk tolerance levels, and they’re not always based on actual risk.

4 Likes

I have similar thoughts about the tourist helicopter rides. My dh is going on a guys trip (celebrating a milestone birthday for a friend) in November where a group if them are flying into Vegas, renting an RV, and hitting the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and a bunch of other national parks.

I am a bit jealous that we won’t see the Grand Canyon for the first time together, but I did make him promise that they won’t do any helicopter tours.

I 100% understand that it is perception, but also agree that the lack of control and land vs air issues are major influences as well.

4 Likes

Ok I put together this nerdy risk tolerance curve to demonstrate. :joy:

3 Likes

I totally used to ski… but otherwise, spot on.

My younger brother does ALL the things!

1 Like