Aulani Trip Report 9/5/21 (10 days)

This was exactly us too. Two canceled trips and now at risk of losing DVC points so we went anyway. So, glad we did!

7 Likes

I did a break down of expenses of our trip. We were 3 adults (2 drinking age).
$2712.28 Total w/o airfare .
$561 rental car/gas
$1087 food- (many days we prepared all meals in room/kitchen),
$600 misc. (souvenirs, snorkeling gear, sunscreen)
$209 pk’g@MCOairport
$177 hotel tax (surprise bill at check-in),
$78.00. Hanauma Bay ($25 x 3 ppl + pk’g fee)
Airfare was originally $1700??? but we upgraded w/ points to first class.

3 Likes

Did you look up the cash rate for your room?

1 Like

no I didn’t… let me look :wink: We used 414 points for 1 bedroom villa ocean view.
Here’s what I can find on the internet, and I can’t get it to generate a villa room cost, I guess none are available:

1 Like

Ok… found this finally playing w/ dates, considering similar point values. 9 nights = $9081

1 Like

Yes, I did next year- September average nightly rate

3 Likes

We’ve already decided we will always do a 1bv, even if it’s just us two. But next year we want a garden view b/c the sound from the pool area gets old. We want the kitchen and w/d in room still, that was awesome. The garden views will be just fine and to be on the car park side of the resort too. Hopefully it will work out. BTW: we would NEVER pay cash for that room. We would have stayed on Ford Island Navy Lodge, Bellows AFB beach cabins or Hale Koa on Waikiki. Those places are similar to SoG w/ military rate.

4 Likes

A lot of the DVC podcasts I listen to have suggested if you are planning on staying at Aulani ro at least buy a resale contract for the same price as a cash stay.

4 Likes

oh… well Aulani is our DVC home resort so, this trip paid for at least 1/4 the contract? I think. So 4 stays will pay for contract??? If I’m mathing correctly :wink: Is that how ppl think about it?

4 Likes

Didn’t buy a lot of things. Most of this is going to another. Not including but shown earlier were shirts , trunks from Hanauma Bay

6 Likes

I love those pearl earrings.

2 Likes

I do too but the wire is so thick I’ve not been able to wear them yet :frowning:

That’s no good.

1 Like

Over 10 days that is a very modest amount of expenditure! I’m impressed! You kept remarking how expensive everything was but that’s not bad at all. Under $300/day for 3 adults!

4 Likes

Well… we had to admit that alcohol adds a lot to a meal bill :laughing: and every time we ate at the resort there were pretty drinks involved :wink: I thought we spent less but I’m ok. I wasn’t counting pennies at all but having lived here before I know how expensive living on the local economy is and that’s why we went out of our way to hit the military commissary. Although $3.50 for ONE red bell pepper was not acceptable; even if it was delicious :laughing:

In 1979-1982 I paid $10 for a honeydew melon :astonished: (once! I really wanted it) and $2.79 for a gallon of milk and $o.80 for a doz eggs. That’s 42 years ago…

ETA: Gasoline is $3.99 a gallon and it’s $3.xx something here

5 Likes

So do you have a separate tab for that then? Because if this includes alcohol I’m absolutely floored at how little you spent in 10 days.

2 Likes

no separate tab… we didn’t have alcohol everyday, maybe 3-4x overall? I kept looking for the class 6 (military liquor store) to have stuff on hand in the room but didn’t try hard enough. We are not big drinkers. I can go weeks, months w/o having a drink. I bought a bunch of stuff to have on hand when DDs came to visit and it sits untouched :wink:

2 Likes

I tend to have a drink each day on vacation.

In my real life I pretty much have one drink/week, occasionally 2.

4 Likes

Same. It quickly added up over two weeks with four adults doing the same thing.
I think I would cry if I added up what we spent in Hawaii for our trip.

6 Likes

Yeah, DH & I also on vacay. Sometimes one by the pool in the afternoon and another with dinner. Some of them are $15 each. Ouch. But vacation has different rules than real life amirite?

5 Likes