Aulani bound... anyone else going soon or been? Tips and important details due to, you know, covid ;)

We’re worried Hawaii will not allow FL residents into their state :rofl::rofl::rofl: I wouldn’t if I was them :shushing_face:

4 Likes

Oh, that’s a good point. But I think with their vaccine and testing policy you should be good. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I think Hawaii would reinstate testing requirements before they deny Floridians entry into Hawaii. Go and enjoy!

2 Likes

Thank you all! We have registered w/ the state and right now our CDC vaccination cards grant us entry. They could change that and also require negative tests for CONUS. That requirement was lifted recently.

2 Likes

We went to Aulani in early July. Tips

• QS restaurant hours are still pretty short - Plan out when you’re going to get things like Dole Whip (they had watermelon), the Mickey shaved ice (looks cool but just okay), snacks from Ulu cafe and morning coffee from Wailana.

• Pool/beach chairs are semi-competitive. Grab an extra set of towels from the stand at the end of the day so you have some for the morning. Until 8:30 (I think) a person has to be in the chairs. Pool chairs are more competitive than beach. There’s a nice area south of the pool facing the beach with good chairs.

• Olelo Room - We went there for sushi, the wait wasn’t too bad, less than an hour. Thought the sushi was good quality.

• Makahiki - Make a reservation at the 30 day mark, we did it online with no issues.

• Nearby - Monkeypod (long wait but we got on the list and went back to the room), Kalapawai Market (good takeaway), there’s also a Costco pretty close

• Get a car, there’s so much to see on Oahu. Spending a day or two at Aulani itself is great for relaxation, but you really have to get out and see the island.

• Walk the coves in the morning down to Barbers point harbor. It’s a nice paved path.

• You’ll have check in in the lobby to show your Safe Travels QR code. At the time we went, they still weren’t giving out leies. They also didn’t mention the many celebration/welcome buttons, but we went back to ask for them with no problems.

• The app is basically not good for anything. The map on the website is more interactive and easier to find hours.

• Toon Finder Character Hotline - Call it in the morning at 8am from your room (x2447 or CHIP) to get the list of character times. The front desk couldn’t even tell me the schedule and it’s not posted anywhere. Not many people go to these, especially Duffy and friends.

4 Likes

I agree with all of that. It doesn’t sound like much has changed since our trip in May.

2 Likes

Thank you for all this helpful intel. You are not the first to say pool chairs are difficult to come by

2 Likes

I have a Hawaii Safe Travel question: All of us are registered. When do we receive the documents necessary to proceed through the airport etc.

And my son’s registration wouldn’t allow him to complete it w/o the guardian section. He’s 19 yo. I verified his birthdate. I’m worried there will be trouble.

TIA

edited to tag: @Dreamer & @Wahoohokie who have been most recently

2 Likes

We received a QR scan code as soon as they verified our negative Covid test results. That’s the only document we needed for the airport.

That’s weird about your son. Both my daughters had to complete their own (but they were 21 at the time).

1 Like

We got out QR code once we uploaded our negative tests, so 2 days before travel. No idea how it works now with vaccine cards.
My DD19 had to do her own, but DS17 was listed with me. That is odd about your son’s needing a guardian section.

2 Likes

Years ago on my honeymoon I ate a lobster pizza at Monkeypod (on Maui) that was one of the best pizzas I have ever had. Your post has me thinking about it, but a few minutes ago I looked at their menu and they don’t have it on the menu anymore.

2 Likes

We had a fabulous dinner at Monkeypod. My DD would have ordered lobster pizza if that were an option. Sad it’s not on the menu now.

2 Likes

Hey, I went to Hawaii too! I mean, it was only a couple of days, but still! JK :laughing:

We also received the QR code which we just saved to our phone. Flying Alaska Air, we were able to check in with the CSA at the gate and get a bracelet that allowed us to breeze through on the Hawaii side.

Also, weird about your son. Carly was 18 at the time and she had to do her own. Well, I did it for her, but under her log-in!

2 Likes

OK… son created his own account b/c they required it. I couldn’t’ do it for him b/c he’s 18+, if I could I’d just add him to my travel party list. We’ve all uploaded our CDC cards. I did mine a month ago. None of us have received anything from the state.

1 Like

Any suggestions for dining with a family on site? I will probably do the quick service or leave the hotel for most meals. But is there something we must do? Character breakfast at Makahiki? Dinner somewhere?

Casual but good food is our MO. I’d prefer no prix fixe since my kids are rabbits. How hard is it to get reservations? I didn’t even have it on my radar and just realized we are within 60 days.

We ate at Makahiki for dinner and we weren’t really impressed and it’s prix fixe. We didn’t do breakfast, but at least breakfast has characters. We had some yummy food at the Olelo room which is a bar and has outdoor seating (but definitely family friendly). There was live music and great sushi. We ate at Off the Hook which is one of the pool bars and enjoyed it. It might sound crazy but we really liked the quick service (Ulu Cafe)–great poke bowls and acai bowls (and chicken nuggets if you ask my kids).

2 Likes

I tried to get a reservation today but it said it was only for guests with a resort res. It prompted me to link a res but then wouldn’t allow it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Were you trying to do it on the website or on the app? I ask because I never could get it to work on the website but I was successful on the app.

2 Likes

Website. I haven’t tried the app yet. I was able to link our Aulani res on the app last week. Thanks for the encouragement. I wanted to do a character breakfast.

Hey. How did you handle the time change?

2 Likes

Honestly, we tended to get up early for the first week of our trip. But that worked out well for sightseeing. And we didn’t stay up very late.

2 Likes