Any one miss the "old" chat?

You make some good points, @BGK!

Iā€™ve been in both, but must confessā€¦

I still learn more ā€œtidbitsā€ from chat than from here, things that pop up that Iā€™m not actively looking for. Just yesterday, someone posted about how to max out your coaster on Sum Of All Thrills, and I learned something new about the Liberty Sq Riverboat. I just donā€™t seem to come across as many cool random liner insider info (like the Soarin golf ball) here.

Each has its strengths. Itā€™ll just take a bit of time before one can fully exploit the strengths of this place. Definitely not there yet.

8 Likes

Although I have held a subscription for over 2 years, I had under 500 posts. I was mostly a lurker. I am finding myself adding to the conversation a whole lot more on the forums. Maybe itā€™s because I donā€™t have the feeling that I missed the boat? Not really sure of the exact reasonā€¦

3 Likes

I feel like Iā€™m missing a LOT of boats on the forum; itā€™s so sprawling. Yes, I know, chat disappears after a day or two, and one never realizes what one missed, but it didnā€™t feel like I was missing anything. Just would ā€œjoinā€ the conversation(s) later. :slight_smile: Such is life. Iā€™ll adapt. :wink:

7 Likes

That surprises me. I always felt like I was missing tons on the old chat. Even if you tried to go through the 15 pages since you last looked they kept reordering as people added new comments. Being able to see whatā€™s on the ā€˜newā€™ tab since I was last here makes me feel like iā€™m seeing way more.

3 Likes

I miss the old chat. I used to check it several times a day and scroll through 5-6 pages minimum. I liked being able to read a few replies without opening the thread. I donā€™t know why this seems so different, I always click on new threads so what Iā€™m getting is a list of questions on any topic just like before. It seems like more work. So now Iā€™m hardly ever using either one :frowning:

1 Like

Actually that might be because Iā€™m feeling pretty down about whether weā€™ll ever get back to WDW and if so when. So that coinciding with trying to get used to the forums is probably enough to put me off.

I have felt the same way @merryweatherblue. I seem to be more chatty here. Nice that someone else is feeling that too.

1 Like

I love seeing lots of new names that Iā€™m not used to seeing often. Everyone has something to add and iā€™m glad to see more people feeling comfortable participating over here.

5 Likes

Donā€™t get discouraged @missoverexcited Youā€™ll find a way to get back. Iā€™ll be in the same boat after our December trip. Itā€™s my first in 10 years and after that weā€™re buying a house so it will be at least a few more after that. One thing I will say though is that Iā€™m really amazed at how much weā€™ve been able to save this year. Knowing that thereā€™s a specific goal that Iā€™ve wanted for years at the end of it, weā€™ve cut back on lots of things without even thinking about it which naturally freed up more money for vacation. Disney is a powerful motivator lol.

2 Likes

@outer1 after our last trip (2012, previous trip was 2000) we decided to aim for 2017 and thatā€™s still our aim, some days it just seems a lot longer away than others! I wish we lived in the US, flights from the UK are ridiculous! But I will snap out of it soon enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe we should switch! I wish we lived in the UK because youā€™re a quick trip away from so many amazing places lol. Is DLP not a great destination for you?

I think that Chat has some pros/cons and Forum does too. I find both helpful for different kinds of information/conversations. One thing I wonder is how newbies will fare on forums, in terms of building the interpersonal relationships that keep people around long after their trips have passed. That seems key to me, as you need the experienced people to stay around a long time to provide the wealth of knowledge, experience and support to new users. Chat did that well. Itā€™s too soon to say if Forum does, as we one week of forum isnā€™t enough to judge the # of subscribers who actively join vs the number that fade out. But that ratio is key to keeping Lines a vibrant community (even a crazy, irreverent one!) Also, right now, thereā€™s a lot of folks who are still in the reactionary mode and who havenā€™t really settled on their new aspects each platform now delivers.

12 Likes

Itā€™s incredibly expensive and I believe itā€™s quite run down. I actually priced a trip for it earlier this week but it comes out at about half the price of a 14 night trip to WDW for only 5 days - and thatā€™s with 2 days free! Also I love Universal and I just have to see Diagon Alley! But I know I have that option if I need it. Iā€™d love to go to Disneyland Tokyo, now that looks amazing!

1 Like

@Lentesta are there any stats on the volume of usage? On chat posts were sitting there for 30 miinutes before a response. Here too, it feels slow. Maybe it is improving because we are getting better but I am curious about the amount of users. I know the forum numbers are posted how do they compare to total numbers before?

Oh gosh I had no idea it was so much. Youā€™ll get your fix in little ways when you need it. Just donā€™t slink away from lines lol.

1 Like

Love reading all of your thoughts on this topic!
I have found that I now use forum when I am at a computer, and Lines chat when I am out and using my iphone. I am now on the forum much more often than on chat.
Like others, I do like knowing the chat #'s of users too, for the reasons mentioned above.
I find I am more hesitant to post on the forums than on chat, knowing that my posts will be saved for the future and searchable by googleā€¦

4 Likes

I was the same - priced out a trip to DLP (mainly because did not want to fly transatlantic again with my DS5), but like you say 5 days comes to about half what 14 days would be to WDW. Just doesnā€™t seem worth it!

Donā€™t give up - 2017 sounds a long time away, but itā€™ll sneak up on you.

1 Like

At first, I was a little upset about the forum, but I decided to explore and give it a chance. Iā€™m finding myself loving it more and more each day. Itā€™s wonderful not to have a character limit. I often skip answering questions in chat because I canā€™t explain with less words and I hate to spill over into another post. I find it to be much easier to post pictures here (thanks to the iPhone update!!). I love being able to tag people. Someone had a gluten-free question, so I tagged @mAly, our gf expert. The ā€œlatestā€ button is great! I love not having to wade back through a bunch of posts Iā€™ve already read just to find the new ones. I think having topics categorized and the search feature make it so much easier to find answers. It seems that thereā€™s less arguing here (so far). In chat, most of the grumbling has to do with ā€œinappropriateā€ posts (adult humor and non-Disney threads). Here, those that are disturbed by that donā€™t have to go those topics. Iā€™m feeling more connected here than I was in chat because of the notifications.

3 Likes

I donā€™t like the forum. Itā€™s too compartmentalized. The sense of a big ongoing conversation is what I like about chat. I hope chat can live on, and those who enjoy the forum with its complete sentences and photos can enjoy this place. There seems to be a need for both.

8 Likes