Any one miss the "old" chat?

I am ok with this.

I agree that the two compliment each other. Chat is less unwieldy and more efficient, and will always be good for the new users, I believe. Forums allow for longer conversations, and allow people to connect more efficiently, or even more privately.

3 Likes

Iā€™m spending way more time here. La cava is hilarious ( I tend to lurk), I get to ask whole question and actually feel itā€™s more interactive here. Love searchability, bookmarking and tracking. Good work @Lentesta

1 Like

Data use is almost exactly the same on both Lines Chat and Forums. Even if you viewed 100,000 pages per month, you probably wouldnā€™t run into issues.

Yes, I posted this somewhere here this morning. About 1/3rd of Chat volume has migrated to Forums. This is probably from people who think the forums are a better format for whatever theyā€™re trying to discuss.

Also, the number of unanswered posts has gone down in Chat since forums were introduced, from about 9.2% to around 7.9%. I think this is because posts arenā€™t falling off the front page as fast. I consider that a good thing

Yes, I saw your post and I can see the data when I log onto the forum that tells me how many posts but do you know how many users? It has been feeling like there are only a handful of people posting on lines at any time these days.

@LuvMuppets I agree wholehaeartedly. One week is not enough time to judge. As I stated in my post, . :itā€™s a new infrastructure, and weā€™re still learning our way around

Been in canada for a month and just got back to this. missing the old informal atmosphere and the live feel of the old chat. also wish there were a quick tab on the app. do not like ad that popped up on one page. but it is certainly a lot easier to find information and ignore what i dont need. a few tweaks and some adjustment by myself, and it will be fine like so many other things that seemed dreadful at the outset this year.

my screen shows a 1 saying that i have a message, but it wont load. any clues?

Meant to say I am ok with deleting old chat history. Still like old chat better than new forum.

1 Like

No. No, itā€™s not. Itā€™s disturbing, offensive, and I think the frequent posters there consume something called ā€œalcohol.ā€ If Walt was alive he never wouldā€™ve done that.

6 Likes

Of course not @BGK, too hard for the alcohol to get past the cigarettes.

1 Like

I agree.

I personally preferred the old chat. Remember the long running conversations during the 24 hr day? It isnā€™t as easy to do that in a forum setting. ā€œSee that kid dancing in front of the cameraā€ and ā€œI think thatā€™s girl is Alice!ā€ sounds a little odd in a forum. Also chat allowed you to just pop in, chat, and then duck out without making you feel like you missed much. La Cava, while good in theory, is not really similar to chat. It seems to be basically all craziness while at least in Chat it had some relationship to Disney. Not that there is anything wrong to talk about other stuff, but it is different.

But I couldnā€™t put this all in one post in Chat. =)

4 Likes

Unfortunately I still havenā€™t gotten the hang of the forum yet. I find myself lost so often that itā€™s kinda sad, but Iā€™m trying. I constantly have the nagging feeling that Iā€™m missing out on the most sensational topics though.

Iā€™ve noticed a big increase in battery useage, too. Using an android phone.

Hi @quicha! Make sure to stop by the daily thread started each morning in La Cava Del Chat (Todayā€™s link: http://forum.touringplans.com/t/july-31st-open-thread-operator-can-you-help-me-place-this-call-see-the-number-on-the-matchbook-is-old-and-faded/2817/214) It should help with the ā€œmost sensational topicsā€ void that youā€™re feeling! It flows a bit like chat did - the silly, irreverent parts of Chat that most of us love - with the odd nugget of advice thrown in. Hope to see you there! :smile:

2 Likes

Gracias @LoveBug53 ! Iā€™ll bring the virtual tequila!

2 Likes

Yay! Sounds like a plan, my friend! :smile:

Yes. Both before and after the forum launch, we have about 125 - 150 Liners on Chat on any given day.

Weā€™ve had exactly 3 out of 118,000 users cancel their subscriptions because of the forums. 2 of those were within 24 hours of the launch. Traffic and sales metrics are up. So with a handful of exceptions, everyone seems to have taken it in stride.

ETA: Iā€™m leaning towards removing ads at the end of the month. On an annual basis itā€™d generate a tiny percentage of the siteā€™s overall revenue. I donā€™t think itā€™s worth the hassle of seeing the ads.

12 Likes

I like them both. I REALLY like the ability to write coherent posts without having to constantly count characters, stretch replies over multiple posts, etc. I also like that pictures can be posted directly vice a link to a site that I may or may not be able to access. I also like the ā€œcompartmentalizationā€ of the forums. There are many topics that I just donā€™t have any intrest in or info to share, but on the old system I had to scroll through many of them. Also, every time I posted, even if I was on page 7, it bounced me back to the top and I had to jump through the pages to find where I left off. ā€œBumpā€ and ā€œSFLā€ are no longer ā€œneededā€; you donā€™t have to worry about trying to find a thread that is somewhere on page 19 or 20ā€¦

Donā€™t get me wrong, I loved the old chat (20K+ posts should be some sort of an indicator), and I still jump over there at least once a day to see if I can answer any questions that come up, but with the categories, I feel I can focus my time on areas that are of more interest to me - and likewise focus on areas where I can be of most help to others.

5 Likes

Good insights, @bswan26! I think both sites have a lot to offer. Last week, I was worried about having NOWHERE to go with my Disney addiction, now Iā€™m worried that Iā€™ve just DOUBLED my outlets!!

6 Likes