Any one miss the "old" chat?

I used quotes! That implies that I was using the term ironically right? Maybe I should go watch Weird Al’s Word Crimes video again to make sure.

2 Likes

Several folks complain about missing the feeling of community of chat. What does make it feel like our warm group to me is 1) clicking on Latest constantly, to be part of recent conversations, just like I would refresh old chat, and 2) La Cava.

3 Likes

I use both and will use the Lines app more when i go back to work because I don’t like the way it looks on my iphone 4s screen. I don’t like having to scroll over to see those while response, I don’t like having to hot reply 3 or 4 times before it works and there are no notifications for personal or starred messages on the phone.

I can’t use the computer to access for the day so I will miss out on the little bits of time I could spend catching up through the phone.

1 Like

The forum has some great features, like sharing photos and notifying specific users within your posts. However, I won’t be completely sold until it becomes as easy to use as chat on my phone. I love that a quick 5 minute peek at chat could keep me both informed and up-to-date on fellow Liners. I am unable to spend the time necessary to read through, and respond to, threads with 100’s of posts. So, I check the forum just twice a day and chat throughout the day. I am more of a lurker in the forums, but I was a fairly active participant on chat. I have yet to post a question or a topic here, but I’m super excited to share my “in park posts” on chat in 29 days.

6 Likes

Seems like another argument for somehow getting the Forum on the app as opposed to a browser. The Forum uses way more battery power on my Iphone 5 compared to Lines Chat.

1 Like

Agree.

I like the forum, especially that we can do longer posts. So far we haven’t gotten too many newbies asking for general information, but we have the option of giving a good detailed answer now. My only problem with the new forum, is I cannot use it on my phone. It is too old, where I can use chat on my phone.

As to cutting down the data on the old chat. Why don’t you erase our old chat logs? In all honesty once it got to be over a week old it was hard to find the chat we wanted.

2 Likes

I have been trying to get my fellow DLR liners to come to the forum. Have been trying to bribe them with" Awesome pics over here!" Anything to get them over. A handful have come but more seem pretty old school and think chat is easier for them to handle. . Kinda like my mom still writes checks. .won’t use her Atm card… :smile: Some wanted to jump ship before finding out more about the new forum or what’s was going on. No one has gone, we are still checking in on chat, we all truly love this place! and I am hoping once they see this post they will be more open to doing both… SO Thank you very much!

1 Like

Yeah, this is the primary thing we’re thinking of. We’d still want to save chat stats, so there’s some work to do there.

2 Likes

Yes. I strongly prefer the old chat and miss it very much.

7 Likes

@Lentesta my only “request” would be that if you’re going to remove old chats (something I’m for, and fine with if it’ll allow chat to remain), you should warn people clearly on chat & forum for a period of time (a week or two?) before doing so. I guess some people are attached to their chat numbers, but really, that’s just an exercise in narcissism. (ducking for cover…)

Guess I should go through them before my upcoming trip & cut/paste to a word doc everything worth saving! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@ejj I know you think its narcissism, but I actually use other peoples’ chat numbers more than I keep track of my own. When someone on occasion comes through and says “I just found out that they are tearing down spaceship earth OMG!?!?!?!?!!!” and that person has 3 chats, I know its trolling. If that person has 5000, I am more likely to respond/inquire/etc.

I am also proud of my chat number, and I am not ashamed to admit it :smile: I do my best to be helpful!

8 Likes

LEN THIS JUST MADE ME SOOOO HAPPY! Yay!!!

@999HappyHaunts, how were you able to quote Len in your latest response?
I can’t figure out how to quote previous posts, other than a regular
cut/paste on the computer. Thanks!

I am on my computer, and I highlighted the text in his post and then it gives me an option automatically to quote it.

testing… ah!! THANK YOU!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the forums. My only issue is that it’s so much easier and enjoyable for me to pay more attention to forums instead of doing my work. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I miss it a little but I really like the set up of the new forum.

I admit I no longer spend as much time on either the forum or lines I miss the old fun and really haven’t found where it is on forum. I can not as easily sneak a peak on the forum from work and I am afraid of the data use at night I have a trip upcoming and have learned so much from liners I do not think I would have pick up as much if not for the old chat. Saying that there are advantages to the forum

1 Like

I find it just the opposite. Chat seemed like the equivalent of a group meeting, where one had to stand up a speak in front of the whole group. The forums feel more like a series of smaller discussions, where one can selectively tune out what wasn’t interesting. I think that would encourage people to speak more freely, as one knows the listeners are choosing to listen.

I also find no small irony that it was some of the malcontents who said the forums were too confining would officiously tell those who questioned why their chat posts disappeared that chat was for discussing park-related topics ONLY.

3 Likes