Am I the only one currently avoiding Moderates?

We really like the Skyliner, so we tend to stay at Pop. (Also because I’d always heard the AS bus situation was problematic.) The only times I’ve upgraded to moderate were when the price differential was minimal. And even one of those times I regretted it. The theming at POR was great, but good lord, I felt like I walked more there than I did in the parks, and it was a hellscape getting back to our room from the bus stop when we were already exhausted.

I saw a deal at Boardwalk through a DVC rental company that was going to end up being just about $500 more than POP for the week we are going, but since it really is just a bed for us, and I’ve heard BW is bad for QS dining, I’m probably not going to action that. The after-hours thing is nice but we have a 4 year old so we don’t stay late in the parks anyway.

4 Likes

Yes, I love the BW villas but it’s not the best for QS unless you like sandwiches and pastry… we ended up going over to the marketplace at BC for breakfast in the mornings. If your 4 year old sleeps alone, they would probably love the little pull down bed they have in the studios, though.

1 Like

They also have the pizza window. And a few food options at Joe’s. Maybe just pretzels and hot dogs. Forget off hand.

ETA: oh, and there are some food options at Leaping Horse Libations.

2 Likes

Yeah, we have a four year old so we are almost exclusively QS, and even within that, like he won’t do sandwiches reliably. Pizza is usually a go. Hot dogs sometimes. It changes day to day, so being limited on menu options really is an obstacle for us.

3 Likes

The buses at AS are pretty great in my experience (only full at RD and closing, frequent enough to handle demand, dedicated bus for each AS resort rather than doing multiple stops as is the case in some moderates and even deluxes), They’re the only option for Disney transport for these resorts, but they’re efficient and comfortable.

2 Likes

Oh nice! I thought I’d heard that they shared a bus, so I’ve been avoiding that all this time.

Well there’s definitely pizza at BW, and I think it’s some of the better pizza at WDW (outside of the bougie Italian places). I’m not a sandwich person, usually, so if we eat lunch or dinner at the resort (and not from groceries in the room) then we end up getting pizza from the window and a dessert from the deli. They do have a grilled cheese that’s pretty good at the deli, and there’s a hot dog stand, but it’s got weird hours.

1 Like

I’ve only experienced them sharing if it was during the middle of the day when not many people are going back and forth. And it’s not a huge deal if they do - max three stops. There are mods with 6 or 7 stops! And the All Stars are always right in a row at the exit, so if they are it’s easy to get on another one.

Once mid-day they weren’t sharing, but another pulled up that wasn’t mine (I think I was at Sports), but I hopped it and toured the others on my way back just because I felt like it. It would not have been too long for of a wait for mine.

4 Likes

Sooo… I’ve never stayed at them before, and I guess I didn’t realize they were easily walkable like that. I requested building 10 because it’s the closest standard building to the busses… if I didn’t have 2 reservations I’d go back and re-request the building that’s closest to ASMu, because looking at the map that building looks equidistant to either bus stop.

1 Like

Yeah. I mean, for some it may be far, but living in NYC my sense of “far” is skewed since I walk almost everywhere. LOL.

2 Likes

I noticed how that happened when I lived in Manhattan! I was staying with a friend when I went to an event in Cincinnati, and I asked if it was walkable between 2 places, and she was like “I guess you could walk it, but it’s 8 or 10 blocks so you’ll probably want to drive.” and it was good weather and everything. :rofl: I mean, Boardwalk is my #1 favorite resort because I can walk to Epcot and HS, and I walk from all of the Universal hotels except the Endless Summers unless the boat is already there waiting.

4 Likes

It also skews my sense of “crowded” on the busses. I still laugh at one night when I was the last person in line for a bus back to…probably CBR but I can’t remember (once upon a time I considered that my WDW "home). The driver was standing at the door and said “I can call them to send another bus for you” even though I could see there was PLENTY of room for standing. I noticed his tag gave his state or origin as NJ and I nodded towards the space behind the line where I could stand and said “I’m from Brooklyn…” He laughed and said “In that case, get on here!”

I get that they’re used to what I refer to as “car culture” people who complain about having to stand, but come on! Give me a chance! It’s gotten to where if I’m in a bus line and people are saying they’ll wait if they have to stand, I’ll speak up and say “I’m willing to stand, no problem. Can I go ahead of you?” Never had anyone turn me down on that one - occasionally someone realizes how silly they’re being since they’ll be standing for who knows how long waiting for a bus and joins me, but not always.

6 Likes

I just did the math… from lobby to lobby they’re about 6 NYC blocks apart. That’s for sure doable if the ASMu bus comes first!

3 Likes

First time we stayed at Cabana Bay - ™ @ the desk thought we were nuts taking the walking path.

4 Likes

I went last November and Pop was $184 preferred before taxes midweek

the only time I stayed not value was Coronado Springs 22 years ago, long before the tower

1 Like

I gotta say though moderates - at least for last minute might be back in the mix for us -

Between @JJT & @SenoraG Priceline hacks if we had gotten the Tiana preview the room rates for PO were less than $20 a night difference than the all stars

4 Likes

We did POR the same weekend we were doing 5 & 10 K for Springtime Surprise a few years ago …that was a mistake :rofl: You definitely do a lot more walking when staying there. Happy to have experienced it, but I’ll take Pop over that any day.

We did BWI in March - a trip I did not have to pay for (thanks to my mom using her inheritance from my grandma) - loved being able to walk to 2 parks. But yes, the food options are lacking. I went over to B/YC a couple times to get quick service meals.

Other than a single night at Pop, my first true onsite experience was at Caribbean Beach Resort (during Covid in Nov 2020) …that started the on site bug. It’s just different in the Disney Bubble. We still do off-site stays, but love to include on-site when we can justify the cost…or get a timeshare exchange (hence two stays at Saratoga)

3 Likes

#facts

2 Likes

I was going to mention this too. I usially pick Pop! over the All Stars becaise of the skyline, but I think the buses at the All Stars are great. When I closed down parks I have found them sharing, but at thay point it is only a couple of people on there. In fact, if.it is super late amd you see one All Star, always ask if they are going to any of them.

5 Likes

Yeah. Super late, sometimes mid-day…maybe Disney Springs more often since not as many people head there as the parks, but I can’t say for sure about that.

But park opening and as the parks close, they’re definitely one resort per bus.

3 Likes