2024 Hurricane Season

Tons can change in that time. I hope these storms fall apart and don’t develop, and that your trip is free of worry.

That ‘bonus’ vacation we had was the BEST. It was so relaxed and easy going. I’ll happily get stranded at Disney every day of the week :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I had Lasik in 2004. Had to get glasses again about 4 years ago … would probably need reading glasses regardless now. I have monovision, my left eye is only -0.25, my right -1.00 … reading vision is +1.75 …but I can still “read” without glasses. Essentially my left is good for distance, my right eye for reading. I only wear glasses when I’m outside/driving.

1 Like

This was me, but reversed. My brain did not like the left eye being completely corrected. Since cataract surgey my brain virtually disregards my left eye altogether. :smile:

1 Like

This is gonna sound weird but even though I don’t understand the picture, I can’t stop checking and being amaze by the development, like kind of addicted to it. Where this morning were 3 yellow points now there is a 4th

3 Likes

Atleast the newest one is moving away from Florida.

2 Likes

It gets addictive doesn’t it? I’m fascinated by severe weather. In my next life I want to be a severe weather journalist. :slight_smile: That 4th one is interesting.
What was interesting was when I clicked on the spots it indicates that the formation potential over the next 7 days is really low for all of them. The one most likely to impact FL, by the Lesser Antilles, has a less than 10% chance of forming, which is great news for your trip!

3 Likes

I like the 2 day outlook myself. Lol. Flying through storms used to make me so nervous until I remembered that airplanes fly through hurricanes all the time.

2 Likes

I totally agree. I mean, I know there must be a scientific reason why they move how they move, but it’s fascinating. I assume there are some strong sea currents that make the storms move always with a similar pattern, cause they never reach to Europe or South America. I wonder, do you have any earthquake area in America?

2 Likes

Mostly in California and Alaska, and to a lesser extent Washington, Hawaii, and Oregon. Also occasionally in the Rocky Mountain states. But small ones have struck various places across the U.S., from Oklahoma to Massachusetts – anywhere.

2 Likes

Missouri
New Hampshire
Yellowstone National Park possibly - it certainly got plate tectonic movement
And New Mexico has lots of old lava flows, etc.

2 Likes

Well, that explains why all the apocalypse movies are based on the US. What about volcanos?

4 Likes

It does and stays that way. Had to check weather working in civil engineering and possibly being outside all day. Wanted to be sure to have whatever was going to be needed in a day.

Still check the weather first thing every day.

3 Likes

Here’s a map of earthquake frequency in the U.S. for visualization.

Frequency of Damaging Earthquake Shaking Around the U.S. | U.S. Geological Survey

Mt. St Helens in Washington and Mauna Kea / Mauna Loa in Hawaii are the only ones I remember hearing about in my lifetime. Also Yellowstone is a long-term threat and has lots of geothermic activity. Here’s a map:

3 Likes

There’s a whole range of them along the western coast

From northern California up nearly to Canada. As you’re flying along the majority of peaks are at 6,000 to 7,000 feet and every once in awhile there will be a sleeping volcano which looks like a giant mountain at 14,000 feet.

I think there are 6 giant mountains along that mountain range

Oh I see @Jeff_AZ included colored charts.

Overachiever :grin::wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Hurricanes usually move with the winds high up in the air. The winds in The North Atlantic generally move clockwise. Northern Africa to The Caribbean to Florida then north to Maine/Newfoundland then east back to Iceland and The United Kingdom. This huge circle makes it easy for hurricanes to form.

The South Atlantic is much different. The winds start at The Cape of Good Hope in South Africa, then they fly all the way past Brazil and then meet up with the North Atlantic winds. No circle makes it much much more difficult to make a hurricane Brazil has had 1 hurricane land on their country. That was in 2004.

1 Like

ROFL!!! This is great. I never thought of that at all.

2 Likes

You know that expression, “A watched pot never boils”?

Well, we might need a new expression:

Um

Yikes

2 Likes

What’s this business up by us??

1 Like

tumblr_niga13yhzl1trc5jwo1_500.gifv

3 Likes