2021 Hurricane season updates

Happy is always the best reason to visit Disney :wink:

There’s a pun there… :thinking:

1 Like

I just need clear weather next week Friday (Aug 20) so I can get to Orlando! (My plane also has a pick up stop in Oklahoma City so that might add some excitement)

1 Like

We’re all sending a message to the hurricane dept to clear your flight ;). but that’s almost 2 weeks away still.

It’s 10 days! I was working today and it suddenly clicked that my trip starts NEXT WEEK. :scream:

4 Likes

Too wordy and not click-baity enough

2 Likes

Ugh. My chart isn’t handy.

1 Like

How about, “Unusually Active Hurricane Season puts Disney World and Universal in Jeopardy.”

5 Likes

I love threads about Florida weather. I love them perhaps more than anything else that can be discussed in a Disney context. I love how seeing the strip of land on either side of the Greenway between the Orlando airport and WDW instantly confers deep expertise on the geography and climatology of the Florida peninsula. I love how that deep expertise enables profound, lapidary expressions of the TRVTH of Florida weather. I love how people can say in one sentence that the fringes of a storm they experienced while in WDW was “no big deal” and in the next call themselves a “hurricane survivor.”

I’ll just leave it at this: it’s an unsound decision to willingly travel to central Florida during the threat of a tropical system. I understand the sense of disappointment and the mental negotiation that goes on to make a trip work (unless the potential storm’s track shifts significantly westward, or it dissipates, between now and Wednesday, I’ll cancel my trip for this coming weekend).

6 Likes

“I’ll take the penis mightier Alex”

5 Likes

Hello Fred!

“The models have it making its way somewhat close to South Florida and working toward the Gulf of Mexico. It could have a huge impact on the weekend. It’s hard to say what it may look like, but we bumped up our rain coverage a bit more on the second half of the weekend.”

Heavy rains and flooding are likely for the Leeward Islands, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico, the NHC said. While crossing paths with Puerto Rico, Hispaniola and Cuba the lands’ higher elevation may tear the storm’s organization preventing from retaining a tropical depression or storm status, should it develop that way, Karrick said.

If the storm organizes and develops maximum sustained winds of 39 mph or greater, it will become the sixth named storm of the year and receive the name Fred.

“Right now, be prepared, don’t be scared,” Karrick said. “We are working into the peak of hurricane season. We have to be prepared and be ready for the system to change, and it is going to change. Could be by this weekend as it gets closer to Florida.”

2 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like

"HURRICANE SEASON TARGETS DISNEY:
‘I got my sights set,’ sez Fred"

Kiddies Kry: Krikey!
Flights Cancelled; Magic Revoked
Boo Bash goes on; no refunds, no rain checks

(I used to be a copywriter. This task was irresistible.) :grin:

6 Likes

Sunday is our first HS day. :sob:

I quickly made a back up droid depot reservation for next Friday just in case.

1 Like

I doubt they’ll shut down. But it could be rainy.

I know, just a precaution in case the kids can’t handle the rain.

1 Like

Hey NH, please tell me you meant 'The Pen Is …"

I did not.

View this, starting at about 2:40 for the reference

Celebrity Jeopardy - SNL 1999

3 Likes

That was 22 years ago?!

Oh, my gah, time flies.

1 Like

Must be a typo. It feels like it was merely 5 years ago at most.

2 Likes