2021 Hurricane season updates

Not a hurricane but the coast of MA got hit with a “bomb cyclone” storm and we haven’t had power since Tuesday night. Never seen winds like that here. Caught everyone off guard. Gusts up to almost 90 mph. Our street is still covered in downed trees and wires. Houses on either side of us on our street got had trees crash through them. There are electrical crews as far away as Canada and New Jersey here trying to help with the clean up. Getting another wind/rain storm this afternoon which will just make everything worse.

6 Likes

Wow! I saw the system sitting off the coast but didn’t realize how hard y’all were being hit until I saw your power outages when I was checking those for Texas on Thur. We had something like 250k out, and I saw Mass had more than us.

So your house is ok other than power being out (which is bad enough)? Does your area infrastructure (water/sewer, groceries, gas stations,) have power?

We had only minor damage to our house thankfully. Things are slowly coming back. Wednesday and Thursday the lines for gas in a 45 minute radius were over 2 hours long. Many grocery stores I heard are open again. As of last night our town was about 60% back with power. Our elementary school just got power back around 6 pm so looks like there is a good chance the kids should have school Monday but bussing will be an issue. A bus wouldn’t be able to make it down our street right now. Cars can get by driving under a fallen tree if they got off the side of of road. My husband works for the electric company so he just comes home for a few hours to sleep.

You’re married to a super hero?!? So cool! :heart:

4 Likes

Hurricane season makes it through alphabet with formation of Subtropical Storm Wanda - Orlando Sentinel
If that happens, it will be only the third time meteorologists have had to venture into a secondary naming system, first in 2005 and then in 2020 during that year’s record-breaking run that saw 30 named storms.

In both previous years, the hurricanes and tropical storms that came later in the season took on Greek alphabet names like Alpha, Beta and Gamma. Meteorologists made the switch to a non-Greek alphabet to avoid confusion among similar sounding names such as Eta and Theta.

Subtropical Storm Wanda cone of uncertainty as of 5 a.m. EST Sunday Oct. 31, 2021.

Subtropical Storm Wanda cone of uncertainty as of 5 a.m. EST Sunday Oct. 31, 2021. (National Hurricane Center)

As of 5 a.m. Sunday, Wanda was located about 935 miles west of the Azores and 850 southeast of Cape Race, Newfoundland with maximum sustained winds of 50 mph moving east-southeast at 16 mph.
“A turn toward the southeast at a slower forward speed is expected later today. A turn to the northeast or north is forecast to occur on Tuesday,” forecasters said.
It is no threat to land.

Tropical-storm-force winds extend out 105 miles from the system’s center. Models show the system could strengthen, with some forecasting it to transition to a tropical system, but the NHC maintains it is likely to remain subtropical with the cyclone remaining embedded in a cold upper-level trough.

The tropical outlook at 8 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 31, 2021 shows Subtropical Storm Wanda and a system in the eastern Atlantic with chances of formation.

The tropical outlook at 8 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 31, 2021 shows Subtropical Storm Wanda and a system in the eastern Atlantic with chances of formation. (National Hurricane Center)

The hurricane center is also tracking a broad area of low pressure in the eastern tropical Atlantic with a 30% chance of formation in the next two days.
Located a few hundred miles southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands, the system continues to produce disorganized showers and thunderstorms over a large area that could develop more as it moves west-northwestward from 10-15 mph in the next two days before it hits a region of strong upper-level winds.

The hurricane season lasts through Nov. 30.

1 Like

Oh, I hadn’t heard about that change… :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m low-key rooting for hurricane Orlanda to hit Orlando one of these years.

3 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

We didnt have any tornados close. My sis did but was spared. Some crazy tornado watches waking me up early though.

2 Likes

Wanda has been toodling around the Atlantic for awhile now. Appears to be headed vaguely towards the UK. Because…why not? :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Today is officially the last day of hurricane season! Woo hoo!

4 Likes

:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

1 Like

@gingerSnaps543222 You ok? They’ve got DD20 et al sheltering in the UT dorm basement.

1 Like

:pray:

1 Like

Yup. My DD is at the YMCA but the rest of us are home. Storm has died down. Thanks for checking on us!

3 Likes

Good to hear! Sounds like the line of storms is headed this way so we’re charging all the things.

@drvillarejos Watch your weather. They may be headed to you after that.

1 Like

Are all of our other Texans monitoring their weather?

@ehsanchez @NoBellePrizeWinner @kerrilux_625778 @bmscott Who else?

1 Like

We’ve been fine so far, though I can hear a thunderstorm approaching. We’re about 40 miles NE of Dallas, for reference. The worst of this particular cell should be here in the next half hour or so. I hate when the storms hit after dark.

2 Likes

Keep us posted.

DD20 has been given the all clear in Austin.

1 Like

Yep, tomorrow we’re up. They think tornado warnings will happen right before the line runs through. Thankfully it won’t be sticking around but that also bumps up the severity.

2 Likes