2021 Hurricane season updates

We had one recently - which could be 5 years ago in my mind - here in Missouri from the Pacific. Just rain. No really storm.

Oh, wait. It might be more like 8 or 10 years! The kid went thru a hurricane phase. (Also watched Twister nearly every day.) We had to check the hurricane site every morning. Watched that hurricane turn east and morph thru tropical storm across Mexico to rain here.

No meteorology interest at all now . . . :thinking:

1 Like

Rick sneaking up behind you @gingerSnaps543222

2 Likes

That last one though from the west coast of Mexico…This looks like a gulf one from this pic. We just usually get rain from these cuz we are far enough inland. As long as my flight can leave Friday I’ll be alright. (Going to USF for HHN with a friend).

Thanks for the heads up since you know I don’t pay attention to the weather which is even weirder given I grew up in a house with the weather channel on all the time with the robotic voice (my dad’s fave channel!)

1 Like

It’s another one from the west. Spun up really fast.

1 Like

These are so weird

1 Like

Do you remember these from prior years? Was I just not paying attention or is this a new thing? Or maybe they typically don’t make it as far as Houston?

I have never seen this before (but I also don’t pay attention). All the storms I remember came from the gulf. But of course really the ones I truly remember are Harvey and Katrina as I helped volunteer for both of those with dogs and with people respectively so they stick out in my memory. Otherwise I forget yesterday LOL

*Also how big are these when they hit Mexico on the Pacific side. Maybe that’s why they are strong enough to cross if they are bigger than before

2 Likes

I remember them.

1 Like

Oh, sorry, clarifying…I know there have been a number that have moved up through the central US, but specifically hitting the Texas gulf coast? I’ve been here over 30 years and can’t remember needing to look over my shoulder. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Oh yeah - that gulf coast hit is different.

The Pacific hurricanes tend more ne. Like OK, KS MO. NM.

If there was a meteorological thing - major high or low (brain is stuck on something else currently) - over the central plains, that would have steered the Pacific hurricane to the gulf coast.

Also, remember one recent storm from the Gulf that was anticipated to move into Austin but actually turned east at Houston to run along the coast and bring yet more water to the NOLA area.

Something was steering these systems.

1 Like

My sister just had a shelter in place order for a tornado in The Woodlands! Hope everyone is staying safe out there.

2 Likes

Ended up just being some wind, rain, and scattered power outages. Now we get to enjoy some real (for SoTX) fall weather! :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah, we just got a moderate thunderstorm here (made for a brilliant nap! :sweat_smile:) but sounds like there were several tornado sightings around Texas. They’ll likely have a good overview by evening news.

3 Likes

Yes, for sure! I just meant in Woodlands proper

2 Likes

Crossing through Louisiana now. Be safe @drvillarejos !

2 Likes

From Troy B.
We are in store for a great overnight in Central Florida. The low in Orlando will drop to 66 under a clear to partly cloudy sky.

By sunrise clouds will be building and a cold front in the Gulf will be approaching.

Before the front arrives we hit a high of 84…then the showers begin.

Rain will start as early as 9 a.m. in Marion county and push across the rest of Central Florida through the mid day.

By 3 to 4 P.M. the heavier storms will arrive. Any of these storms could go severe without much advance warning.

The highest risks will be torrential rain, high winds or more than 60 mph, and hail. There will also be a slight risk of isolated tornadoes.

The heaviest storms will be over the metro between 4 and 8 p.m.

After the front passes Friday will be breezy and cooler.

Saturday and Sunday will be nice with dry conditions and a high in the mid 70s.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

We are having the oddest weather today. Not a cloud in the prettiest blue, blue sky. But the wind is absolutely wild…

Lights and traffic signals keep going out all over the place.

In comparison, this was when Hurricane Nick went over our house last month.

And looks like it’s not just us…

2 Likes

1 Like