2001 honeymoon to WDW, Disney Cruise delayed slightly due to events of 9/11
2004 DH, in laws and parents WDW and Disney Cruise
2006 DH, sister and her kids, my parents WDW and Disney Cruise
2012 DH, DS5 and parents WDW and Disney Cruise
2013 DH and DS5 WDW and Disney Cruise
2014 DH, DS5 and Niece WDW and Disney Cruise
2015 DH, DS6 and Niece WDW and Disney Cruise
2016 DH, DS6 and Niece WDW and Disney Cruise
2017 & 2018- sooo many trips with so many people! DH, DS, sister, niece, nephew, mom, aunt. Seriously…I’ve had too many trips. Trying to cut back since we just bought a new house. We were there in September for Labor Day, I was trying to wait until December for our next trip…then mom and dad wanted to go to Food and Wine and now I have an October trip. I have a problem…I just can’t stay away now…

But we are holding on the Disney Cruises for now until the new ships are out. We’ve seen all the shows and feel like we want to wait for something new.

4 Likes

My memory of what years I went as a kid are fuzzy but as best as I can remember without searching for photo albums:
Spring 1988 or 89 age 5/6 MK & EP

Spring 1993? Age 10 MK, EP and MGM Studios! I also recall going to Sea World, Busch Gardens and a White Sox Spring training game in Sarasota, great trip!

April 2018 (Age 35) all 4 parks in WDW which was such a great time I’m planning to go back of course! If all goes well I’ll return in:
April 2019
Thanksgiving or Christmas 2019
April 2020

1 Like

1981 1st trip (35 yrs old) with my mom and my 5 and 4yr olds.

Been most years since then, with fam, boyfriend, husband, friend or solo.

These days I travel with Ds, his fam, and this trip with extended fam. Will be 18 of us together at end of this trip coming up in just over 1 weeks!

1 Like

That’s a difficult call. The thrill rides at Universal are more thrilling, and the theming of WWOHP is amazing, but WDW has an additional X factor.

For example you never get the impression they want you to leave. You never feel unwelcome. Late night in Diagon Alley they break character and usher you out. Magic gone.

1 Like

At heart it’s all about the rides for us, and my son wasn’t interested in kiddie rides when he was a kid so there’s a lot we skip at WDW. They are very different experiences for sure. I have an emotional connection with both, but Universal shades it with better thrill rides. For us anyway. I’ve never been in any park actually at closing so can’t compare there!

1997 @ 22, first trip with a bunch of friends. We drove to Cape Kennedy to see the Columbia take off. Amazing, once in a lifetime sight.
1998 ? again with friends. did a lot of MGM on that trip
1999 @ 24 to celebrate wedding engagement. Went to the luau.
200?? there is a trip in there somewhere because I remember staying at All Star Movies and my neice was only about 3 or 4.
2009 @ 34 first trip with DD3 stayed at Pop
2010 @ pop
2011 @ PORQ
2012 @ pop
2013 @ AKL
2014 @ BWV
2015 @ BWV/AoA
2016 @ BLT/BCV
2017 @ BWV/BCV
2017 off site
2017 off site/ All star music
2018 @ AKL
2018 @ All star music/Saratoga
upcoming 2018 @ Pop
upcoming 2019 @ Copper Creek!

Back in the '90s we used to go to Universal too.

2 Likes

I noticed several times at Universal where employees were more into conversations with their fellow employees talking about whatever than they were into helping customers or staying character. Never experienced that at Disney. Probably helps that Disney has Cast Members. You always feel like the most important person at any given moment. Didn’t notice the same at Universal.

Totally agree.

I’d say 95% of my Disney CM interactions were top notch. None were bad. They really do make you feel special.

I was almost angry about the way they closed Diagon Alley. There was an oppressive phalanx of security guards in regular park outfits pushing us out at closing time. Totally ruined the mood.

Also with Disney you never get to see backstage or the outside world. Not so with UOR.

But I still totally love UOR and I wouldn’t miss it out.

1 Like

Never got to go as a kid. My sister went with high school band, but I was in orchestra.

First trip in April 2016, stayed at BLT for a week to celebrate oldest DS’s 5th birthday.

Didn’t plan on returning until 2019 for second son’s 5th birthday, but…

Second trip in June 2017 for almost a week at Beach club with DH’s sister, nephew and parents for nephew’s 6th birthday.

Third trip: crazy <48 hr weekend in Dec 17 to see Christmas at MK. Split stay between All star music and BLT, 1 night each. 1 Park day at MK, 8am til midnight.

Fourth trip May 2018 for my birthday. 3 night stay at Ft wilderness cabin. Hit all 4 parks in 2 full and 2 half days. Monsoon May trip.

Did Disney Alaska cruise in July for my parents’ 45th anniversary.

Now waiting on 3 pending trips, got APs in May. Going for fall break long weekend in October, another crazy quick December weekend, and then the original second trip for DS #2 in March 19.

Probably going to have to take a break after March, going broke on vacations this year.

Planning DCL to Caribbean in 2020 and who knows what for next big kid birthday in 2021…

2 Likes

Wow–this is so fun to read through!
I went to WDW for the first time with my family when I was 12. There was another trip the following year. A couple of trips in couple and an awesome trip in 1989 for the opening of Splash Mountain (my college roommate was a travel writer at the time and she took me as her guest).
2001–My parents and I took my twin DDs for the first time; stayed off property.
The obsession began after that trip.
I won’t bore anyone with the details because I’ve now lost track of the number ofWDW trips I’ve taken (it’s over 50).
We’ve only been to DL twice–2015 and 2016. Stayed both times at GC and loved it! Need to return.
No overseas park visits but it’s on my bucket list.

2 Likes

1990 - Age 15, WDW with parents and brother. Stayed offsite 3 days. EP, MK and MGM Studios.

2011 - WDW with DH, DD7 and DD4. 7 nights at CBR. All 4 Disney parks 1 day at Universal.

2012 - DCL on the Magic with family. 5 night cruise Mexico and Grand Cayman.

2014 - WDW with family. 10 nights at Poly. All 4 Disney parks, BB and Universal.

2016 - WDW and DCL with family. 2 nights at Pop, 1 day at MK, 4 nights on Dream, Bahamas cruise.

2017 - DL with family. 3 nights offsite. DL and DCA.

2018 - WDW and Universal with family. 3 nights at Hard Rock. USF and IOA. 7 nights at Pop. All 4 Disney parks and both water parks.

It seems like so much when I write it all out, but it doesn’t feel like we’ve been that often!

2 Likes

1983 - contemporary
1986 - contemporary
1988 - poly
1990 - poly
1992 - YC
1994 - GF
1996 - poly
1998 - poly
2000 - offsite
2008 - poly
2016 - offsite
2018 - offsite
2019 (future)- poly

We were on an every-other-year schedule through my childhood! We became obsessed with the poly; we kept trying other resorts and nothing could compare. Too bad the lobby waterfall is gone. I can still remember the musty water smell, which I miss dearly because it reminded me that I was back in the world. I didn’t realize how lucky I was at the time. Now that we have 2 of our own kids, I think we’ll try to get back on track!

3 Likes

I really like this idea, thanks for posting!

1986 - first trip! I have a few really incredible memories from my only childhood trip. I was raised by my grandparents and went with them, their best friends, and grandson. We rode small world a million times. My Pop Pop took a picture of the hot air balloon boy holding a sign that said “help” and I never understood why until I was an adult riding a million times with an eager child! I also have a really vivid memory of being on Dumbo and seeing my grandmother smile while she watched me fly. This might sound silly but I have to ride Dumbo every single trip. I close my eyes and it’s like she’s there again. She’s been gone a long time and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get emotional every single time. I also remember being on the monorail platform and how awesome the parade was.

26 ish years later and we took our 3 year old. We stayed at Wilderness and I will never forget the look on her face when our little girl, dressed as Merida and clutching her Pascal, got her first look at Magic Kingdom! It was Christmas week and the Osborne lights were stunning.

Since then we have been Home 1-2 times a year. It never gets old!

5 Likes

1975 age 8 at least 2 days at Disneyland (don’t remember it except for the pictures and a vague memory of the hotel)
1976 age 9 at least 2-3 days at Magic Kingdom
1981 age 13 2-3 days at Magic Kingdom. My dad was there for a medical conference. We stayed at Contemporary. My brother and I rented the 1-2 person personal watercraft and cruised around the lagoon. We hopped over the MK for a few rides each day but it was not the frenzy it is now.
1985 age 17 1 day at Epcot with dad and brother on the way back from south florida visiting relatives
1988 age 20 2 days at DL on college spring break.
1988 age 20 2-3 days at WDW in the summer. Stayed at a hotel in Kissimmee
1991 age 23 1 day at DL a day or 2 before the Rose Bowl
1992 age 24 1 day at DL with work associates on an off day for a tradeshow
2006 3-4 days at DL with wife, DS 6 and DD 3. stayed at Paradise Pier
2008 3-4 days at DL with wife, DS 8, DD 5, DS 5 months, stayed at Camelot
2014 3-4 days at DL with wife, DS 14, DD 11, DS 6, stayed at Grand Californian (college friend Disney employee discount)
2016 4 days at DL with wife, DS 16, DD 13, DS 8, stayed at Disneyland Hotel (discounted for daughter’s dance competition)
2018 7 days at WDW, wife, DS17, DD 14, DS9, stayed at Boardwalk
2019 probably 3-4 days back at DL for dance competition in July.
2020 or 2021 back to WDW???

Thanks for the topic, it was fun to lay it all out again other than in my head…

2 Likes

Lots of history here, I see. It is interesting to see just HOW MANY people have gone a lot. I’m guessing that helps when those planning there first trips come here. With so many people with so much history, everyone is willing to lend their input to help make a first timers experience (as well as a tenth timers!) as ideal as possible!

3 Likes

Funny how different people’s experiences can be. I stayed one night at the Poly — it’s the most expensive hotel room I’ve ever stayed in. Hugely disappointing. Location of hotel is quite good, and I loved my breakfast at Ohana — but the room was stark and soulless. Would never stay there again.

But I loved YC.

2 Likes

I think it has more to do with my memories of the place at this point. The theming is still my favorite of all the resorts, but like I said, the loss of the lobby waterfall was a huge blow in my mind. Still, you can’t beat the ease of walking to the TTC to get just about anywhere.

Fun thread!

1. Age 10 (1988)–Family trip to WDW with parents and younger sister
  2. Age 12? (1990?)–I know I went with my grandparents, mom, and sister to Disneyland on a summer RV trip, but I don’t remember the exact year
  3. Age 17 (1995)–My high school cheerleading squad went to a national competition in Orlando and we spent a day at Magic Kingdom
  4. Age 17 (1995)–Family trip to WDW with my mom and sister. First time staying on property at All Stars Sports resort. Long-time boyfriend had just broken up with me, and I was miserable. LOL
  5. Age 19 (1997)–Church group trip to Florida with one day spent at Magic Kingdom
  6. Age 25 (2003)–First adult trip! DD was a year old and both sets of grandparents thought it would be a grand idea to take her to WDW for a week (hahaha!). They took care of her and my husband and I got to have fun on our own. DH and I had no money so we ate PB&J all week.
  7. Age 30 (2008)–Another grandparents trip. DD was 6 and we went Thanksgiving Week.
  8. Age 40 (2018)–First time I really loved WDW, thanks to Lines and knowing how to plan it! Family trip with DD15 and DH. First time staying at a Deluxe (AKL) and having multiple ADRs. First time at a character breakfast. Now probably permanently infected with Disney bug.
  9. UPCOMING! Age 40 (2018)–DH and I are doing a short trip to do MVMCP
  10. UPCOMING! Age 41 (2019)–Family trip planned for next July, staying at BWV
3 Likes

This is a fun thread! We went on a lot of day trips as a kid because both sets of grandparents were in the Tampa area. Here’s the stays I can remember…

1991ish - stayed at Caribbean Beach. I was 9ish, my sister 6ish. Memories from that trip - my dad making the unfortunate decision to take my younger sister on Space Mountain. Ten seconds in she says “Daddy I don’t like this.” Side note- my dad does not have a good reputation for taking people on Space, he took my maternal grandparents on it years ago and my grandmother said to my grandfather “Bernie, I’m going to be sick!” His response was "Just close your eyes, babe, that’s what I’m doing.

My other memory from that trip is my aunt getting picked as an extra for Indiana Jones and my mother getting picked for something else at DHS She had to act in front of a green screen and then spliced her in to a Cheers episode to make it look like she was flirting with Ted Danson. I remember being mortified! Please someone confirm that I didn’t make this up :slight_smile:

1996ish (I think?) We stayed at the Grand Floridian and got upgraded to club level! It was glorious. I think we barely ate anywhere else.

October 2012 - Honeymoon with my DH - we stayed at POFQ and he adopted my Disney appreciation/obsession. Celebrated at Victoria and Alberts, we are planning on doing it again when we return in 2022 for our 10th anniversary. We upgraded to annual passes on that trip because we knew we wanted to return soon. Also went to Universal (mostly for Harry Potter).

August 2013 - our second stay on the annual passes. 10 days at Pop, and we had a blast!

December 2016 - First trip with our daughter, then almost 2.

Upcoming planned trips - January 2020, August 2021, January 2022 and maybe also solo trip for me in February 2022 to run Princess.

2 Likes