Worried about losing points what to do?

Maybe there is a thread already talking about the options. If someone knows and can link it… I can’t find one.

We bought into DVC before pandemic and not been able to use it yet. Our year ends/begins Dec. We’ve got 700 points to use before Dec 1st (if I understand how this works). Our home is Aulani and I’ve got 414 pts booked there in Sept. providing it’s safe to travel (we feel safe) that leaves 286 points. We were going to do a WDW week w/ adult children but the travel issues have prevented that. Our adult son AD-Army isn’t allow to take leave to FL; it’s banned for RnR per DoD Covid guidelines. We live an scant hour drive to the park so going to stay there just for the sake of using them seems wasteful.

What are our options? If we sell them off what is a fair rate per point? How do we sell them? I’m assuming I can bank some of them? Maybe not? :sleepy: I feel like I don’t know what to ask. I’ve tried calling DVC support but I don’t feel supported. TIA. Y’all are more experienced with DVC.

3 Likes

Supportive heart. I have zero experience to help you with, but I think there are some here who will have the answers for you!

2 Likes

Thank you Julianne!!!

I got some good news from DVC… I called back, got a different person… after waiting an hour on hold :crazy_face::flushed: This person was patient and clear.

We can bank everything still… we have until July 31st to bank points. In October we can bank to RCI too and then the points are available longer, but I don’t know enough about RCI yet. I feel better and not pressured. Hopefully we will be able to travel in Sept. I know a lot of ppl are traveling but my DH won’t right now and I don’t want to fly anywhere either. But a lot will change in 7 months (damn I hope I didn’t jinx it :wink: )

4 Likes

I was just about to say - you’re not at your banking deadline yet :slight_smile:

I’m Dec use year also, and I held on to my trip until 7/30 before cancelling everything and banking forward.

I have a perpetual reminder set in my phone for every year to go off twice - first on 7/1 as a reminder and then on 7/30 as the deadline (which I know is still a day early , and that is by design)

2 Likes

Nice! I was thinking of setting this up for myself too :joy:

Also, regarding your Aulani trip, DVC Fan (a Dis Unplugged show) just had a review of one of their people’s experience last month. It sounds like it’s as safe as can be - I wouldn’t hesitate, personally! And I’ve been super cautious through this whole thing. You have to provide a negative test before you can even board the plane; once you’re on board you know everyone in that capsule is negative too.

3 Likes

Definitely bank them w/ DVC. RCI is not worth the conversion. If you find that you’re outside your banking window and won’t use them, you can rent them out with a third party like DVC Rental Store or David’s.

3 Likes

I’ve been watching the Hawaii C-19 guidelines and saw that too. We’ve been cautious too. Flying is the one thing that makes me very nervous. And it’s a l-o-n-g flight to HI. I’ll check out the Dis Unplugged, thanks!

Thank you, I’d rather bank them for our use, if possible.

1 Like

I agree! We try to build up our bank so we’re traveling with last years points if possible.

1 Like

smart

1 Like

I’m flying to Hawaii tomorrow - not Aulani. I have flown a few times, but mostly when flights were not fully booked. Now, they are starting to get crowded. However, knowing everyone on the plane just tested negative is a huge comfort. And the rates of C-19 in Hawaii are very low. Do you think you and/or DH will be vaccinated by September? I think it’s highly likely! In any case, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the trip can really happen.

4 Likes

Yes, Shawn Faulk mentioned this. They have signs along the roadways urging caution because “Hawaii has already had 131 cases of the virus”

How cute.

I mean, it’s really very fabulous and speaks volumes to their stringent restrictions and how well it has all worked. And they are tremendously at risk (think back to the leprosy epidemic – also, off topic but related, consider reading Molokai and Daughter of Molokai), so they have to do it.

So yes, their numbers are amazingly low

3 Likes

I was actually recently going to start a whole separate post on this question, but it seems highly related to this topic so I will add here. Is there an app out there that helps you manage your points? I do the @OBNurseNH method of the dual Outlook reminder, hey, think about what you’re gonna do with the points and then, hey, bank before you lose them. But I feel like there has to be a better way? I now have two contracts with different use-years which is even more confusing.

@PrincipalTinker I feel like you had posted links once of an app that you use to manage your points?

2 Likes

I am really wanting to take a trip to Molokai. In reading up on it, I believe there are a few people with leprosy (refuse to call them lepers) still at the colony there. I don’t know that you can visit. It’s all just terribly sad. I feel like I watched a movie at an impressionable age regarding a Catholic priest who ministered to the patients and ended up getting leprosy himself. Maybe 1980 version of Father Damien: The Leper Priest.

(Sorry to side-track!)

2 Likes

Yes! All of this is talked about in the books. If you haven’t read them, please do. They are two of my all time favorites ever.

Similar in how they left me feeling to Cutting For Stone and Memoirs Of a Geisha

2 Likes

I’ll definitely check them out!

I’m hoping both of us will be vaccinated by September :crossed_fingers:

WOOHOO! Enjoy!!!

2 Likes

We have been stationed on Oahu before. My DH wanted to retire there b/c he loved it SO much. Not me. Nice place to visit but I told him that if we lived there we would never see the kids or grandkids. Ok maybe not never. Anyways, DVC home/Aulani was the compromise. We moved near WDW to lure the children and grandchildren to visit us here and then we’ll visit Hawaii annually.

4 Likes

Perfect plan. Well, until this hiccup we call COVID. But this too shall pass.

1 Like