Wise counsel required

hmmmmm, I’ve been thinking there will be a ‘new normal’ b/c I think mask wearing will continue since mother nature is seeking rath :rofl: Not to be totally flip… I think masks will become more necessary moving forward as they have become part of other cultures for various reasons. And to bolster your share… I know of a very large school district that is already planning/preparing for remote learning for the 21-22 school year as if it is a done deal.

1 Like

I think one part is— how refundable is your trip if things aren’t normal enough yet for you? Will you be able to push back again?

As scary as that is about the next school year it’s not unreasonable for them to plan like that. Thinking realistically I don’t see my kids going back in person this year, if the vaccine isn’t rolled out for many people until spring. For my kids school ends the first week of June. Even if they got to go back in, say, late April or May they’d still have done the bulk of the year at home.

1 Like

True… the further we move through the year the more we see that virtual learning is here for now; this year at least.

Definitely cancel April, no question. If April is more desirable than August for you then rebook for April 2022.

2 Likes

One thing about this is that when the vaccine is rolled out…and even when you GET the vaccine…isn’t enough. It takes, I believe it is, 2-3 months after the first shot (and requiring a second in that time period) that you are fully protected. So even if they can start giving doses to the general population starting April 1 (big if there), it wouldn’t be until June 1 or later before you would be considered protected.

1 Like

I read it was 3-4 weeks, but not sure if that was after the first shot or second shot…

1 Like

You might be right. I’ve read about so many things, I may be confusing the timeline with another vaccine! In any case, you have to wait SOME period of time! :slight_smile:

We may both be right! I can’t find the article I read now, but if it’s 3-4 weeks after the second shot and you have to wait 3-4 weeks between shots, that would be almost two months after the first. So, yeah, definitely not an immediate effect.

Plus they don’t know how long the protection lasts either. Annual booster shots may be needed.

We face same dilemma and we are 99% sure we are moving to August also for the exact same reasons…Just out: “Dr. Anthony Fauci says life could return to some degree of normality by fall 2021 if at least 75% of U.S. citizens get vaccinated”…I think the chances that most of the things that you pay for but aren’t getting (EMH, FP+, live entertainment, fireworks, restaurants, etc, etc, etc) will be back by then and you might not need to wear masks…Why would anyone go in April vs August if Disney doesnt return these offerings sooner (including me)?

1 Like

This study looks promising…MSN

Can’t read it, either a firewall or GDPR issues.

But since they’ve only been working on a vaccine for 6 months, they surely can’t know how long any immunity will last.

1 Like

This is true. But what the article is presenting is evidence that it will very possibly last a long time.

In some ways this isn’t a surprise. Some of the earlier reporting on “questioning” the longevity of the efficacy of a COVID vaccine was based on purely on antibody detection. But antibodies are only one piece of the puzzle. Antibodies can eventually disappear to undetectable levels, and yet a person is still immune due to the memory of T-cells. It is the T-cell memory that this article is highlighting.

What they were looking at was the immune response of those actually infected, and found that while antibody levels may effectively disappear, the immune system still responded to “re-infection” (if you call it that in such a case).

They also compared it to the long-term response in the body to other SARS viruses, which in at least one case was detected more than 16 years later.

I think what will really be the determining factor of long-term immunity will be level of mutation that happens over time with COVID.

So, while it is true it MIGHT not last and require boosters…there is increasing evidence to suggest this may not be the case.

Of course, we won’t know for quite some time! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So they’re doing a study of recovered patients and re-introducing them to the virus? I hadn’t realised they were doing that already. Where is the study - I might be able to find a report that isn’t blocked if I know which study to search for.

No. Not that.

But if they’re looking at immunity they must be looking at patients who’ve either had the virus or had a vaccine.:woman_shrugging:

I was just trying to summarize the gist of the article. But it is consistent with other research I’ve been reading about. That is, so far the research seems to be pointing more toward longevity of immunity rather than being short lived, which is counter to some of the earlier reporting looking purely at antibody detection.

1 Like

The mutation of the virus over time is going to impact the length of immunity as well. It’s one of the reasons influenza is so challenging.

4 Likes

I don’t want to go again. I’m being forced to do so by the fact I have non-refundable, business class airline tickets that I cannot bear to waste.

I saw that trending on twitter. I thought it was referring to something else, so I dived in. It seemed like a lot of conspiracy theory nonsense, so I dived back out again.

5 Likes