Will you renew your Disney+ subscription?

GREAT suggestion especially since whenever I login I’m listening to French and go through too much trouble to get it back to English :unamused:

How easy is that to do? I’m kind of lazy and end up forgetting to shut off my subscriptions, but but maybe it would be worth trying it to binge-watch The Mandalorian.

I usually just buy the program I want since I don’t watch much of anything except what’s on Amazon Prime, as it’s “free” (I do have a fairly cheap Masterpiece subscription there). But I can’t buy The Mandalorian by itself.

Maybe if I set an alert or something I’ll remember to shut it off when I’m done. I mean, CBS is still sucking $5.99 a month out of me because I wanted to see Ziva again- last season. :smile:

As for Netflix, I shut that off a long time ago, and Cuties sealed the deal. I don’t care what they have on there, they’re not getting my money.

1 Like

I haven’t done it with Disney+ yet, so not sure if it is the same, but with Netflix, Xbox Gamepass, Ancestry, etc my trick is to sign up for a month then IMMEDIATELY turn off the renewal.

That way I get the month I just paid for and don’t have to think about it again.

2 Likes

Before Disney+ was released the had an offer to prepay for 3 years for a very, very low price. So we are stuck two more years! :rofl:

Actually, as a family we use it all the time. So it was worth the $3/month we are paying. I like the behind the scenes documentaries and the Pixar in real life shorts. And the easy access to so many, even though we have the DVDs, it is easy to to start a movie.

Also, Disney+ is a great language learning tool. There are so many movies that are dubbed and have subtitles in 10-12 languages.

2 Likes

We are on the D23 member three-year discounted plan. We’re in for the long-haul.

1 Like

Use closed captioning. I like to use it because I’m partially deaf in one ear.

1 Like

Studies show that that’s a trait children genetically inherit from their father. It’s kind of like how intelligent children take after their mother.

3 Likes

I thought that last bit was a joke my mother told :nerd_face:

1 Like

I’ll renew. Maybe I haven’t watched a ton of things, it’s great to know it’s there when I want it, and $10/month is a fair enough price.

I’m so far behind the curve. We still don’t have Disney plus. We just started streaming and that app isn’t on the thing we’re using (it’s old)…I want Disney plus however b/c I 've got 3 kids…

I watch Disney films with DH all the time! Just not Hamilton.

I think Hamilton is brilliantly done in many ways. I do have issues with it, but think people should watch it. I wouldn’t necessarily watch it for historical accuracy, but as an amazing musical unlike anything done before (at least that is popular).

Of course, it is no Les Miserables. Doesn’t even come close to Les Miserables. But still definitely worth watching. I even intervened into a conversation between a couple of strangers (which, if you know me, I almost never do…well, IRL) because one was trying to convince the other to watch it, so I said they absolutely should!

I absolutely loved The Imagineering Story. I found it inspirational. I really wish they would do more like it. The Day at Disney shorts were kind of close…but being shorts, they weren’t enough to satisfy.

1 Like

I don’t think Hamilton portrays Hamilton in a positive light as an individual at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. It shows a very flawed human being.

But one of the things that made the United States into the nation it has become is not because of the moral fortitude of any individual through the years. The fact is, you won’t find a moral individual in the entire history of the nation…nor the world (well, save one). We’re all flawed. But instead, I think it is the collective wisdom and vision of a GROUP of individuals who believed there was a better way, and then gradually laid out a system of government that allowed for it to change, adapt, improve ("…in order to form a more perfect union…").

What we see in Hamilton is such a flawed individual who contributed mightily to the direction of this country.

2 Likes

I’ve never fact checked, tho I’ve read that 3 in 4 colonists were loyslists. Never have so few impacted so many. (Didn’t Churchill say something to that effect.)

[My first attempt came out: never have so few infected so many. That seemed so . . . 2020]

Which isn’t to say that the 1 in 4 were morally upstanding.

2 Likes

It is boys that get their intelligent from their mother. Girls get a mix from both parents.

This explains why boys born of brilliant men and dingbat trophy wives tend to be dim.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Loved Hamilton the musical. My DD14 had learned “Dear Theodosia” in chorus so that’s how the music came into our lives. Have also started to read Hamilton (that’s a long book - I’m at page 200-something) As many things in life, looking for historical accuracy in theater may be a bit optimistic. I loved the music and I loved that the musical made my kids want to learn more about the history.

I’d renew. Looking at @Jeff_AZ list, there’s items on there I haven’t watched yet. Yay! My DD10 loved Diary of a Future President and we all watch the Disney documentaries. I think it’s a good price and we bundle with Hulu as well. Plus all the Marvel movies and Star Wars movies and The Rescuers?? It is the bees knees. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have similar thoughts on Hamilton, but I’ll express it in my own way:

Hamilton is not historical per se, but that’s not the point of the medium of live theater. It’s more about conveying emotions, themes, and also (yes!) spectacle. The lyrics are phenomenal - you will simply never see a work of literature this dense and masterful in your lifetime. There is a lot of deep philosophizing going on. It demands that you engage.

It is each person’s duty as a theater-goer to do their research about the facts of the stories that are being told, if they are going to place any reliance on such facts (if you’re just there to be entertained, that’s fine too - just don’t be deceived into thinking you have been educated). As long as Hamilton is not representing itself as historically accurate, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, IMO.

The thing about history is - it’s just stuff that happened. The facts are important in many contexts, but in others it’s much more important what we learn from it and how we change our society going forward. So sometimes it’s interesting to look at history from a different lens, and even wonder “what if things had happened a bit differently?” (as an obvious example, what if the founding fathers were POC rather than being white?). Again, it’s our duty as consumers of media to know what is being presented as fact and what is being presented either for entertainment or dramatic purposes, and what is being intentionally changed for philosophical and thematic reasons.

5 Likes

Really appreciated reading both your and @ryan1’s insightful takes on this. It’s a good reminder that theater is an art form meant to convey certain themes and connect in different visceral ways with the audience, not necessarily purporting to get historical details just right. Anyone can seek out accurate historical accounts to read if that’s what they want. If I can find the time, I’ll try to watch it so I can judge for myself.

I like this quote from Miranda, particularly the last sentence. That’s an interesting way to look at history.

“This is a story about America then, told by America now, and we want to eliminate any distance. Our story should look the way our country looks. Then we found the best people to embody these parts. I think it’s a very powerful statement without having to be a statement,” Miranda told the New York Times.

4 Likes

Just like “The Crown” is not historically accurate. It may have history in it and those events may have truly happened, but the thoughts, feelings and words of the characters who are historical figures are not necessarily and likely not very much at all like the real people. It’s fiction, although the events are historical.

Like you said, the viewer has the responsibility to research what is real, not assume that everything shown is a biography.

1 Like