Will you renew your Disney+ subscription?

That’s not a thing.

I got Disney+ thinking that Disney was going to phase out all their content that’s available on TV, and with two young boys who love Disney, Marvel and Star Wars, it was a must for us. But there’s still plenty of Disney content on TV, we still have all their fave movies saved on our DVR, so I don’t really think I’ll renew when my 3 year subscription is up. I liked the Imagineering Story, and we watch The Mandalorian, but in 2 more years, unless there are a lot of new shows we’re hooked on, it just doesn’t seem necessary since we can watch Disney content on our regular cable provider.

1 Like

Tbh, I haven’t seen it and have no desire to see it. Not because I don’t like musicals (I do) or because I hate history (I don’t.)
My aversion to it is two fold - one, it’s hagiographical at best. Not really historical. Hamilton is not in my opinion as awesome as he’s portrayed to be. He created the first central bank and wanted to force the states to transfer their war debts to the central bank to make them indebted to the government. Also, he was not the abolitionist he’s portrayed to be. He was also NOT fired by John Adams, he resigned.
Which leads me to my second reason - most of my family is relatively new to this country - except my maternal grandmother, who was part of one of the first colonist families and I am actually directly related to John Adams. Who was no saint either, (Alien and Sedition Acts, anyone?) but a lot more of a decent human being than Hamilton. So I kind of feel a familial responsibility to side with Adams, lol.

2 Likes

You see, if @missoverexcited had just said that, I would have shut up and left her alone.

6 Likes

sweet! I learned a new word :heart_eyes:

…and I would like to add that the framers have indeed been misrepresented & venerated as a means to justify some negative aspects of our society…

2 Likes

Living for the good old days!

We’ll keep ours. The DS8 always finds stuff to watch. DS14 enjoys the Secrets of the Zoo and random other things. I enjoy almost all of it (maybe not Pocahontas). @alpha_foxtrot requires Disney+ to watch Tangled and Moana… a lot.

2 Likes

Almost having Disney+ in my home :wink: I will be renewing soon too. My teenager just loves that Prop Culture show

4 Likes

Funny story: Last night DD14 had a dream that I said “Let’s watch Tangled” so she woke up screaming at 4 AM. I can do whatever I want if I’m paying for the therapy, right? KIDDING.

4 Likes

I don’t have to renew… it’s my brothers account😂 He has a 6 year old - so it gets a lot of use. (I pay for Netflix)

By they way, my DD3 loves Bluey. It’s an Australian kids show about a family of dogs - very similar to Peppa Pig (one of the few kids’ shows that I like!). If you’re a parent of a toddler, give it a try.

I second Bluey, my DD is a little older, but we all really like it

One other recommendation is Once Upon a Snowman, if you haven’t seen that. It is what happens to Olaf between “Let it go” and when he meets Anna, Sven, and Kristoff. It is really well done, and pretty funny

2 Likes

If I’d only thought of saying that!

3 Likes

I watch Tangled a lot!

1 Like

Loved Once Upon a Snowman! Do you know if the “at home” Olaf shorts are on Disney+ anywhere? I love those too! They really brightened my days during the lockdown.

DD20 loves to rewatch Disney movies so Disney+ gets a lot of use here. Also the Disney Channel shows from their childhood are popular with both DD’s. I have enjoyed it, but like Netflix, it’s mostly for them.

To answer your question, yes I will keep the D+ subscription. Even though just the other day I made my DH sit through not only Tangled but also Mulan on regular tv with commercials. I do it all the time. The original content is what I like most about D+, the behind the scenes of mandatorian being my favorite. I tried to watch Hamilton, but I couldn’t do it. I’m normally fine with musicals, probably because most of it is spoken word with occasional song breakouts. The singing of dialog made it too difficult for me to follow and understand. Maybe if I had the script in front of me so I could read along.

1 Like

Captions are permanently on in my house. This helps for almost anything since my kids seem to love to talk during any and all shows and movies.

8 Likes

This — THIS — is why I like you so much more than I like @missoverexcited.

5 Likes

Yes, you need to watch Hamilton with subtitles on for sure. Whether you do that on your first watch or second watch is a matter to debate. I did it on first watch and did not find it distracting and it really helped me follow along. Loved it!

3 Likes

My son has started telling me he hates musicals - and he plans to to become a music education teacher!
Killing me. Luckily my daughter is a musical nut.

I’m going to try to get him to watch The Producers since the comedy is so broad it might crack his self-imposed musical armor.

2 Likes